SAU Community

Coilover Knocking

Marcus89

Hey recently put some coilovers in my car they are not new units and didn't pay a lot of money for them so wasn't expecting them to be perfect.

The fronts especially the passenger side seems to make a knocking sound when hitting bumps. Have looked at everything and made sure everything is tight really doing my head what could be making the noise. The car is booked in at a suspension joint for a wheel alignment and to get it checked out just wondering what peoples thoughts might be.

my greddys have the same problem (rear passenger)

its a very loud clunk (knocking) sound when going over certain bumps.

would also like to know if i can check anything else. fulcrum said its definatly the shock but at $264 a side to get them rebuilt I wanna make sure

Do you know the condition of them before purchase? IE. had the previous owner had troubles? What brand?

Could be something as simple as the upper mount bushes being worn/incorrectly installed.

The previous owner bought em for a r33 GTR a fair while back but never installed them so was unsure on the condition. They are ARC coilovers (so hard to find any info on em) but look to be in good nick i have pulled the coilover apart and test the shock and that all seems fine tightened up everything i thought might be lose and it still does it. If the suspension place can't work it out i'll pull them out again and see if i can get to the upper bushes.

my greddys have the same problem (rear passenger)

its a very loud clunk (knocking) sound when going over certain bumps.

would also like to know if i can check anything else. fulcrum said its definatly the shock but at $264 a side to get them rebuilt I wanna make sure

I'll see what TSR says about mine i was also gonna go to fulcrum but got recommended TSR by a good mate. Hopefully it's something that doesn't require it being rebuilt.

knocking means theyre tired, rebuild time, or buy new ones.

tiens love to do it, ive had 2 sets that knock in 2 different cars, the harder the ride, the faster they start knocking.

passenger side tends to go first because theres more bumps on the side of the road as apposed to the center.

I'll see what TSR says about mine i was also gonna go to fulcrum but got recommended TSR by a good mate. Hopefully it's something that doesn't require it being rebuilt.

That $264ea was an email quote from TSR. I'll probably take mine out of the car and go see them sometime next week. Fulcrum wont rebuild anything that isnt tein.

Never ever again will I buy 2nd hand coilovers :down:

my Koni coilovers where knocking, i tightened everything with no luck in fixing the knock, mine was drivers rear,

just put in some new HSD HR coilovers this week, noise is gone, like driving a new car again, paid 1300ish

my Koni coilovers where knocking, i tightened everything with no luck in fixing the knock, mine was drivers rear,

just put in some new HSD HR coilovers this week, noise is gone, like driving a new car again, paid 1300ish

Hmm I'll probably just live with it and swap the stock suspension back in when i sell the car if it comes down to something like that. It's annoying and sounds nasty but I am going over seas mid next year and don't have that much money to spend on the car before i go overseas and sell it and the car rides very nicely apart form the sound

before you just go throwing more money at your car, try this;

Jack the car up on that corner so the wheel is off the ground in full droop. Grap the spring and give it a little shake. If the spring is become unseated due to sagging over time, this is where your knocking is coming from.

Also, do the opposite, (you will need 2 jacks for this). Jack the car up, and jack the suspension arms up untill the car lifts up off the first jack (taking the weight of the car) so the car is in full bump. Look to see if the coils are comming in contact with one another.

2 simple ways to ensure your not throwing money away.

before you just go throwing more money at your car, try this;

Jack the car up on that corner so the wheel is off the ground in full droop. Grap the spring and give it a little shake. If the spring is become unseated due to sagging over time, this is where your knocking is coming from.

Also, do the opposite, (you will need 2 jacks for this). Jack the car up, and jack the suspension arms up untill the car lifts up off the first jack (taking the weight of the car) so the car is in full bump. Look to see if the coils are comming in contact with one another.

2 simple ways to ensure your not throwing money away.

and what if the spring has become unseated or the coils are hitting?

i got hektik knock in mine after i hit a gutter on the rear, very very loud, especially when u have no interior at all haha.

went for a very spirited mountain run on the weekend and now the front passenger is doing it also.

ill be buying new ones soon,

coilovers ive heard only should last 20,000kms and ive got 45,000 kms so im happy with that lol

i got hektik knock in mine after i hit a gutter on the rear, very very loud, especially when u have no interior at all haha.

went for a very spirited mountain run on the weekend and now the front passenger is doing it also.

ill be buying new ones soon,

coilovers ive heard only should last 20,000kms and ive got 45,000 kms so im happy with that lol

Dont no who told you that colovers only last that long we fit coilovers every day and they last for years. If they only last 20,000kms then they must be shit.