SAU Community

Clicking/rattling Noise When Engine Rev

Meebs

On 20/06/2020 at 8:31 PM, Cam-party-m35stagea said:

Hey guys I had this same issue on my m35 stagea 

basically undo the two covers that protect the vtc on the front of the motor, Then carefully unplug the “blue plugs” adapter behind the cover.

There will be a solenoid sitting in the case you remove just slotted in by 2 pins. 
swap both solenoids over with eachother, then put them back on. 

if you want clean out the casing and the little oil hole which you’ll clearly see on the inside of the cone shaped support housing for the solenoid. 
I also degreased the inside of the solenoid by removing the little grommet at the base of the wiring on the solenoid and blew it out.

anyway, swap them over, if the noise changes sides you know all the rest of the bullshit the squinyon mechanics are telling you to swap in not necessary.

Also I did check the cam for movement by putting a spanner on the end of the cam, you should be able to twist it to tension the spring... when you turn it the right way push a little harder and it will lock into the safe lock and stop it in a position that you can’t move without oil pressure. But anyway lock it like I explained above and put her back together.

once you pull the covers off it’s very straight forward and would take any dumb c**t no longer than ten minutes to do. 

Mine luckily fixed the terrible knock that started at about 2k revs. 
hope it makes sense. I cbfed reading the novel I wrote so good luck.

If this works for me also we should sticky

• 1 month later...
On 27/04/2014 at 9:52 AM, scotty nm35 said:

It's not the timing chain, it is usually caused by the cvt actuator assembly. I have replaced a few now with s/h assemblies and fixed the noise.

Who diagnosed it to the chain anyway?

Hey Scott, can you have a look at my car. I tried to PM’d you but it’s not sending. Apparently you’re not receiving PM message at the moment. Can you PM  your address. I’m from SE Melbourne. Thanks in advance.