SAU Community

Youngest Person On This Forum?

Josh.69

Hi all,

My name is Joshua, but Josh will do. I'm 15 and from Mill Park in Melbourne. I get my learners next month and plan on getting my first car real soon! I hope to get a R34 25GT :down: . I will be asking lots of questions as I am not really a car expert so I'm sorry if I get on anybodys nerves.

Thanks guys! :D:P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Josh,

My 25GT was from Japcar in Fawkner. Like you I'm not an expert on mechanical stuff, but I love my new R34 and I'm pretty sure you'll have a blast when you fire up your first 'line.

Have fun buddy.

Hey Josh,

My 25GT was from Japcar in Fawkner. Like you I'm not an expert on mechanical stuff, but I love my new R34 and I'm pretty sure you'll have a blast when you fire up your first 'line.

Have fun buddy.

I'll check out Japcar in Fawkner.

Thanks mate :down:

Let us know how your search goes. Should be reasonable enough to find a nice and tidy GT or 25GT for 10 to 15k.

I'm curious to see how things turn out when you've got the vehicle, as I guess insurance may be a tad steep.

tm_r33: I was thinking the exact same thing. But then again for all we know his family could be loaded. And scrounging up 5 to 7.5k to make his half of buying the car shouldn't be too hard if he's been planning this for a while. It's maintaining fuel costs, stamp duty, licensing and general maintenance that might be a bit of a challenge if he's balancing a casual job, flipping burgers or something (dunno, that's just what I did at that age), with his studies.

Not too long ago I was pretty concerned about the kid of a colleague of my mother. Both him and his dad have approached the whole first car situation with a blatant attitude of "Yeah we iz fully sik mate, let's buy a godzilla and shove a big turbo V8 in there... Let's go ram some cop cars off the road and play chicken on the train tracks, because we're better than the law!"

So long as Josh understands that for his age, an R34 25GT will more than adequately meet the power and handling requirements for his driving needs (I'm assuming driving to/from work/school?), I don't see any problem.

Let us know how your search goes. Should be reasonable enough to find a nice and tidy GT or 25GT for 10 to 15k.

I'm curious to see how things turn out when you've got the vehicle, as I guess insurance may be a tad steep.

tm_r33: I was thinking the exact same thing. But then again for all we know his family could be loaded. And scrounging up 5 to 7.5k to make his half of buying the car shouldn't be too hard if he's been planning this for a while. It's maintaining fuel costs, stamp duty, licensing and general maintenance that might be a bit of a challenge if he's balancing a casual job, flipping burgers or something (dunno, that's just what I did at that age), with his studies.

Not too long ago I was pretty concerned about the kid of a colleague of my mother. Both him and his dad have approached the whole first car situation with a blatant attitude of "Yeah we iz fully sik mate, let's buy a godzilla and shove a big turbo V8 in there... Let's go ram some cop cars off the road and play chicken on the train tracks, because we're better than the law!"

So long as Josh understands that for his age, an R34 25GT will more than adequately meet the power and handling requirements for his driving needs (I'm assuming driving to/from work/school?), I don't see any problem.

Yep. For a kid it's not an advisable car - sure the n/a R34 meets P plate regulations etc. however Skylines are expensive cars to maintain.

- Tires are expensive

- Once you buy the car you will usually have to change the timing belt, coil packs, shocks and general maintenance

- Parts are expensive - try to buy genuine where you can

- Install a good security system

- Being a non mechanical person - some mechanics out there will literally suck you dry of your hard earned $$$ - especially if it's an "import".

- Fuel is expensive you have to run 98

- Many idiots out there will temp you to race

- Many idiots will tell you what to do to your car etc.

- Insurance is stupid expensive - considering its a non-turbo car - RACV was quoting me just under 4k full comp when I was on my Ps. Even just Cars were quoting me just under 2k for full comp. I ended up going 3rd party fire and theft - cost me $800+ per year

- Cops will always be on your tail - P plate + skyline = pull over (regardless if its turbo or non turbo)

@Josh - all the best with everything - but keep all the above in mind. Even though an R34 may seem affordable there are many hidden costs you will face. That $12k R34 is actually more like $16k once it all adds up. Be prepared to cough up roughly $5k per year+ (rego, insurance, maintenance, parts, fuel)

I do not know your financial situation - but for a typical kid your age (between 15 and 22) $5k a year feels like $50k

Carpoint/Carsales: Skylines - Victoria

Passing time before afternoon shifts starts and decided to chuck this into the search on www.carpoint.com.au, enjoy :P

Some of these look great and being Victoria, loads to choose from. I decided to not specify R34's, in case you wanted to try checking out some nice R33's as well. I know absolutely nothing about 33's and I really like the way they look, but I happened to enjoy the way my '34 looked just that little bit more.

On the amount of money that you can end up spending on maintaining a decent R34, is it a similiar situation with the 33? Cheaper? More expensive due to them being slightly older? I'm definetly interested as we're thinking about getting a nice 33 for when my dad comes out of retirement (he calls it 'taking a break', I call it retirement).

Insurance is the only problem I really have because the quotes I'm getting are just ridiculous!

Also guys just a quick question, what's that difference between a GT and a 25GT? And also what's the difference between the s1 and s2 besides the cometic changes? If you could tell me or link me to this information it would be greatly appreciated.

cheers :ninja:

technically, a GT model is the 2.0L base model for the R34 and the 25GT is the 2.5L variant, but if you're looking on aussie website and what not like carsales, the classifications are all the same so you will just have to look in the description if its a non-turbo or not.

With the S1 and S2's there is possibly a bit more torque in the engine aswell as the auto models don't have the tiptronic option, the model you want is a Series 2 GT-V model which has the updated interior aswell as the GT-t 2 pot brakes, LSD and suspension, best way to tell if it's a GT-V is the brakes will have 'Nissan' written on them.

here's 2 good examples i've been looking at as i'm constantly on carsales;

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer...id=12B79B65DA3D

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=12B79B65DA3D

good luck with the hunt, be sure to post pics when u find one =)

danny

technically, a GT model is the 2.0L base model for the R34 and the 25GT is the 2.5L variant, but if you're looking on aussie website and what not like carsales, the classifications are all the same so you will just have to look in the description if its a non-turbo or not.

With the S1 and S2's there is possibly a bit more torque in the engine aswell as the auto models don't have the tiptronic option, the model you want is a Series 2 GT-V model which has the updated interior aswell as the GT-t 2 pot brakes, LSD and suspension, best way to tell if it's a GT-V is the brakes will have 'Nissan' written on them.

here's 2 good examples i've been looking at as i'm constantly on carsales;

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer...id=12B79B65DA3D

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=12B79B65DA3D

good luck with the hunt, be sure to post pics when u find one =)

danny

^ Just to clarify - because some of the above information is wrong.

GT (2.0L) models are not allowed in Australia because they are too underpowered.

GT25, GTv, GTt, GT4 (2.5L) Is allowed.

All R34 (except GTR) all have NEO spec engines.

The non turbo 2.5L R34 delivers more power than previous generation non turbo 2.5L due to the new Variable Valve timing.

There is no difference in power output between S1 and S2.

All GT, GT25, GT4 comes with 2 pot brakes (front) and 1 pot brakes (rear) as standard.

It is the GTv (non turbo with all the GTt bits) and GTt that come with 4 pot brakes (front) and 2 pot brakes (rear) - the ones with "Nissan" written on them.

All RWD auto GT25, GTv and GTt come with tiptronic trans. The exceptions are the AWD (GT4) models and the GT (2.0L)

To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as a Series 2 GTv - The limited GTv model was only released on Series 1 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong regarding the GTv info)

All this info is based off the Official Genuine R34 Skyline brochure.

thanks for clarifying those facts, i wasn't sure if the GT-t brakes were 4 pot or 2,

i have found most S2 auto R34s to have a normal auto box rather than a semi-auto box

and the 2 cars i have linked in my previous post are both Series 2 GT-V models

- Cops will always be on your tail - P plate + skyline = pull over (regardless if its turbo or non turbo)

I would have to disagree with you there. I'm on my P's here in canberra, and when i drive the skyline i never attract the wrong police attention (in fact they rather just stare at the car lol). It all depends on how you drive the car, not what car you are driving.

I would have to disagree with you there. I'm on my P's here in canberra, and when i drive the skyline i never attract the wrong police attention (in fact they rather just stare at the car lol). It all depends on how you drive the car, not what car you are driving.

Depends where you are from - I'm from Melbourne :ninja:

Yes they do stare - waiting for an excuse to pull you over

thanks for clarifying those facts, i wasn't sure if the GT-t brakes were 4 pot or 2,

i have found most S2 auto R34s to have a normal auto box rather than a semi-auto box

and the 2 cars i have linked in my previous post are both Series 2 GT-V models

Maybe they could be GT4 (AWD models).

The ones you posted are manual GTv cars :ninja: