SAU Community

End Of Road For Radar Detectors In W.a

Mayuri Krab

The W.A government has being going to ban radar detectors on numerous occasions, but it sounds like this time its going to get up.

Source

Revenues from Speed cameras must be low this year?

EDIT: & here I was saving $$$ to buy one... oh well the money saved could go towrads other stuff instead.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

Well anyone who's looked at the literature should know that radar detectors are useful and do not allow drivers to speed with impunity as alleged by the idiots for public road safety...

studies show they aren't as bad as some people think.

But yes, be prepared to say goodbye to them. Police I talk to say they don't work effectively enough for them to care about it, so it's a push by zealots who probably 'think' they are amazing super devices that suddently enable you to drive 200km/h everywhere without getting caught. Myself having never had a speeding ticket after 15 years of driving, 2 years of which with a radar detector, I can say that they are useful for a lot of things, and avoiding speeding cameras is the least of their uses.

Well anyone who's looked at the literature should know that radar detectors are useful and do not allow drivers to speed with impunity as alleged by the idiots for public road safety...

But yes, be prepared to say goodbye to them. Police I talk to say they don't work effectively enough for them to care about it, so it's a push by zealots who probably 'think' they are amazing super devices that suddently enable you to drive 200km/h everywhere without getting caught. Myself having never had a speeding ticket after 15 years of driving, 2 years of which with a radar detector, I can say that they are useful for a lot of things, and avoiding speeding cameras is the least of their uses.

+11ty

Very good report!

• 2 weeks later...

whats the detection range of the new Vitronic Poliscans though? being laser instead of the old radar, by the time the radar detector picks it up,the Poliscans would've already caught your speed? can anyone confirm this? i was looking at a radar detector before but after hearing this new speed cameras use lasers which by theory will have a wider detection range, i was put off spending too much on something that doesnt work well and now that they are going to ban them soon anyway.

whats the detection range of the new Vitronic Poliscans though? being laser instead of the old radar, by the time the radar detector picks it up,the Poliscans would've already caught your speed? can anyone confirm this? i was looking at a radar detector before but after hearing this new speed cameras use lasers which by theory will have a wider detection range, i was put off spending too much on something that doesnt work well and now that they are going to ban them soon anyway.

I accidentally managed to get one on footage, some quick maths told me it was 185m away when it detected it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

"recent $30 million investment in a new fleet of speed cameras for WA Police."

30Million dollars! i think they left out "investment in a new fleet of speed cameras for WA Police/life time supply of donuts for every station"

i wonder how many speed camers you have to buy to get a 'fleet' of speed cameras?

Edited by Char

Good Post...

In the studies link ^ ^ ^, certain people who cast aspersions that all owners of radar detectors are guilty of yaddayadda, are themselves too quick to judge.

The fact remains...

there are 4 sets of variables.

1) what goes on inside the head of the owner of the radar detector

2) what goes on inside the head of the copper who operates the radar unit

3) the efficiency of the radar detector

4) the efficiency and correct calibration of the radar unit

1) the owner of the radar detector may use this machine for various reasons and not have a penchant for speeding when the police aren't seeking

2) the copper may desist from locking on a car that might be speeding because it's in bunched up traffic - but another copper will run the risk and book him/her anyway

3) an inefficient bel/whistler whatever may give off a lot of false positive readings and be distracting - and with a false negative reading, the owner will get booked

4) a lidar that has had vegetable soup accidently dropped on it might give off a false positive - or perhaps too long a time has elapsed since it's last calibration

Anyway, when you mathematically analyse how the above 4 variables interplay, configuratively, the banning of these units is in my opinion, an attempt by the gov't/police to shift the goalposts their way. And yes, the configurations are nearly endless!

* in the name of road safety? you tell me!

* in the name of remuneration for state's coffers? again, you can conclude this yourself.

Pro rata population-wise, over the latest Christmas/New Year period, Vic & NSW still had the highest accident death rate despite police vigilance with cameras/radar units.

And yes, we are the most policed.

* Police need to encourage motorists to work with them - and not be so adversarial or punishment-headed

* As Mark Skaife and others have said, we need to improve the quality of roads

* Traffic flow and speed needs to be increased on some roads and more uniformly low or consistent in others

* Defect stations need to spread with even parity over bad suspension and bald tyres, just as much as low bodykits or exposed pods

Is this too much commonsense here for a government to understand?

• Like 1

They have been illegal in other states for many years...people find a way around it, or they get caught and have it confiscated etc etc.

Ive had a few detector, found it to be absolutely useless anyway.

I've had my Pro-78 for nearly 4 years and I have not had a single fine, of any sorts, in that time. In fact, I'm back up to a full license.

The extra road awareness they provide (would be nice if more emergency vehicles and road workers were using the alert system) is extremely handy.

• 2 weeks later...

"Excessive speed is too often a contributing factor in serious and fatal crashes on WA roads."

What that article doesn't say is that alcohol is more often than not the factor leading to the excessive speed and subsequently a fatal crash or a fatality when the mow down some pedestrian.

Just out of interest do the new radars flash you like the old cameras?

• 4 weeks later...

Good Post...

In the studies link ^ ^ ^, certain people who cast aspersions that all owners of radar detectors are guilty of yaddayadda, are themselves too quick to judge.

The fact remains...

there are 4 sets of variables.

1) what goes on inside the head of the owner of the radar detector

2) what goes on inside the head of the copper who operates the radar unit

3) the efficiency of the radar detector

4) the efficiency and correct calibration of the radar unit

1) the owner of the radar detector may use this machine for various reasons and not have a penchant for speeding when the police aren't seeking

2) the copper may desist from locking on a car that might be speeding because it's in bunched up traffic - but another copper will run the risk and book him/her anyway

3) an inefficient bel/whistler whatever may give off a lot of false positive readings and be distracting - and with a false negative reading, the owner will get booked

4) a lidar that has had vegetable soup accidently dropped on it might give off a false positive - or perhaps too long a time has elapsed since it's last calibration

Anyway, when you mathematically analyse how the above 4 variables interplay, configuratively, the banning of these units is in my opinion, an attempt by the gov't/police to shift the goalposts their way. And yes, the configurations are nearly endless!

* in the name of road safety? you tell me!

* in the name of remuneration for state's coffers? again, you can conclude this yourself.

Pro rata population-wise, over the latest Christmas/New Year period, Vic & NSW still had the highest accident death rate despite police vigilance with cameras/radar units.

And yes, we are the most policed.

* Police need to encourage motorists to work with them - and not be so adversarial or punishment-headed

* As Mark Skaife and others have said, we need to improve the quality of roads

* Traffic flow and speed needs to be increased on some roads and more uniformly low or consistent in others

* Defect stations need to spread with even parity over bad suspension and bald tyres, just as much as low bodykits or exposed pods

Is this too much commonsense here for a government to understand?

yes terry,that is way too much commonsense for any reactive/archaic govt to understand!!you upgrade your brakes and it's a crime,yet your making your car safer for all involved.adr bucket seats that hold you in place,in their eyes for when you're doin things you shouldn't be.but surely in an accident,of anyones fault,being in the correct position for your seatbelt/airbags to work properly,is an advantage??they just don't wanna know.this is just an opinion,but who agrees that many of our modified(boo hiss)cars are safer to drive than bloated questionably safe dunnydores/falcons??i could go on.i shut up now.peace.

oh,and taken from street fords mag last year methinks...HOON MYTHS BUSTED:it seems that finally someone is sticking up for all of us labelled as 'hoons'.the university of WA has conducted a study that has found young drivers are no more at risk of serious injury or death when driving a powerful car than other drivers.no,you aren't seeing things.read it again and let it sink in-an actual study has been done.the study undertaken by the UWA looked at 662 serious injury crashes in WA and compared the power to weight ratio of the smashed vehicles to the power to weight of the vehicle driven by the younger drivers who did not crash during the same period.just three percent of the crashed vehicles had a power to weight ratio above 100kw per tonne of vehicle weight.the study highlights speeding as the cause of most young drivers being involved in a stack and with the majority of accidents happening in 70km/h zones or less,even the lowest and crappiest cars being driven at excessive speed present a problem. street fords. sooooo,no matter your power levels,or lack there of ,speeding in lower limit areas are the common places for crashes and not just us 'hoons' causing all the mayhem.take from this article what you will,all i know is,no govt be looking at it going

"oh that's interesting,must look into that" they pander to voters and short sighted people.far out,i could go on giving examples but,,,i gots a life to try and live.and they'll NEVER get it!