SAU Community

End Of Road For Radar Detectors In W.a

Mayuri Krab

The way I see it is:

If you are doing say over 100 in a 70 zone then that radar detector isn't going to save your ass anyway, but it will save your $$$ if you are doing ~75, which I'm all up for.

& I reckon <10km/h speeding fines on highways/freeways are a pile of crap anyway <in Roger's tone, from American dad>

most effective way of slowing the traffic.putting a med sized cardboard box on the side of any road and drawing crosshairs on it and writing 'ahead' below the cosshairs.was on freeway today.everyone doing the righty.cheap,tick.effective,tick.revenue raised from placing box on side of road?nil.and detectors can't pick up cardboard boxes,that i know of...

• 1 year later...

So are they still legal in WA or not?

Old yahoo news says it is illegal, but that is like 2 years ago & I haven't heard any news of it since?

http://au.news.yahoo...adar-detectors/

Thinking off getting one after I got done for 8km/h over when they placed a reveune camera near the point on Manning road where it steps down from 70 to 60.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I read, the V1 still picks up the new current laser based system; poliscan or what ever it is called. Although the warning distance is a bit hit or miss.

Cops with laser hand held guns almost never get picked up far enough until it is too late & rear facing cameras too.

EDIT: I just ordered one from the US a while back still waiting for it to arrive.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

• 2 weeks later...

My V1 arrived last week.

Went & drove around a bit on the freeway & it did pick up the laser speed cam systems with about a 5 second window.

Enough for you to slow down if you weren't overally speeding, which is all I wanted.

$550.

Can get it cheaper if you shop directly from US, but I think they refuse to ship it to here & hence you need to use a 3rd party shipping agent place thing.

The other thing I've noticed is that Cops don't seem to turn their speed detectors in their cars on at all, as I never get any kind of reads when they drive by.

Nah cops never turn them on unless they see you speeding or have the potential to speed. Some of them don't even turn them on until after they chase you...I once said I wanted proof of my speed and he came back blank and let me go.

$550 isn't bad...might get one and sell the Whistler

Well after reading the bit about a member here who got done for 3km/h over I'm glad I got my detector.

In other news, my detector just saved me a fine today. Was behind some douche in an old Falcon driving 10km/h under who then like your typical arseholes encountered in Perth everyday decides to speed up to speed limit while I was about side by side trying to overtake him (at speed limit).

Thought to myself, "f**k this" & was about to just lead foot it to complete the overtake, however around this time my detector went off so I backed off the throttle & sure enough we went past a speed camera.

Saved me $150 & 2 points I recoken, would probably have gone to past 9km/h over if I lead foot it to complete the overtake.

The thing is starting to pay for itself already. :yes:

Looks like they are installing 4 more laser cameras on the freeway in the following month or two... they are the rear facing ones so the detector won't help much except tell you that you just got shafted.

If anything that existing camera on the freeway just causes those snail drivers to hit their brakes & slow down (to like 80km/h) for no reason even when they were not speeding to begin with.

The same kind of crap effect that occurs when they see a Police car = hit the brakes & instantly drop another 10km/h off (even if you weren't speeding to begin with).

Yup classic...never fails to happen. It's amusing how they think driving slower might help. There was once this douche dropped his speed from 80 to 70km/h on the RIGHT lane cause he saw a police car. Me being me I tailgated him and flashed him repeatedly...after two mins the police car turned on the lights n sirens.

Crap I thought they were gonna stop me lol...I went to the left lane n slowed down to go for the emergency lane...they sped pass me lol...they were after him!

• 2 months later...

Anyone know when they're gunna turn on the four new cameras on the southern end of the freeway between Kwinana and Beeliar?

They look finished from a fitout/build perspective.

Average speed in average afternoon traffic passed them is still a 110k though.

I am a little worried that there will be no warning until our letterboxes are full and they can earn the build money back straight away.

if you dont speed you wont have to worry, just sayin'.

Yes, but that will also mean you will forever be stuck behind arsehats who drive 10 - 15 under but then speeds up to limit as soon as you are overtaking.

Also it looks like the Camera near South Tce on the freeway has being turn off for the past week or so, drove around there last week 3 times on different days & got no laser reading.

EDIT: unoffical statstic: it appears every 1 out of 10 tradie + guys in suits driving the luxury version of HSV/FPV has one in their car...

Edited by Mayuri Krab

Yes, but that will also mean you will forever be stuck behind arsehats who drive 10 - 15 under but then speeds up to limit as soon as you are overtaking.

This is SO true *shakes fist*

I come from Vic and if you want to worry about speed camera's live there, haha. Even with out a scanner they are easy to spot and dont get me wrong Im not suggesting I never speed but if i knew those camera's were there I'd stick to the legal limit.