SAU Community

The Video Editing & Effects Thread

Pezhead

So there must be a few other video buffs out there in SAU. Here is a thread for us to share our work and discuss how to's.

I wanted to see if I could replicate an effect I saw on another video forum. That guy's budget and time investment were much much higher.

Best watched full screen IMO

Now post some video your proud of and discuss.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the interest and software but no footage to play with. I probably could use my slr to record, but I don't have anything to record. I've done a bit of editing and some tutorials though.

Send me some random footage Eric, maybe you get me hooked

I have the interest and used to do it when i was younger with adobe premiere, but i didn't follow it up and now i'm way too far behind with all this hektik technology.

Hey guys, I'm happy to share some of my footage. I try to keep all of it. I've got track days, Texi's, cruises and show'n shine.

Also happy to share what I'm learning through trial and error.

Amazing how good something looks just shortening clips, blending transitions and whacking a sound track. I'm sure some folks can do event better.

I'd love to give it a go Eric, but to be honest at the moment i don't have the time. Too much photography wise. Maybe over the holidays, i will have a crack at filming some random stuff and getting used to Final Cut Pro :)

Argh, so much to re-learn!

• 3 months later...

We were using 3 cameras. That allowed me to get 3 different angles at the same time. For most work two is plenty. I just advice taking the time to change the angles and try to get variety. The more Variety in your videos the better they will look when you edit it.

Otherwise, you just get these boring shots from the same angle and we get tired of looking at the same thing for too long.

I use corel videostudio X3. It isn't as fully featured as some of the other packages but offers a great amount of capability for the price range. It has up to 3 or 4 video tracks, multiple audio tracks, overlay, chromakey, etc etc. So far does everything I need. I also have some add-in packages that add more capability such as frosted edges, tilt-shift effects, etc.

Best advice is start out with just basics: Edit scenes, lay them together so it looks good, then add an audio track (music or something). Most of my quick editing I do that way.

The other best advice I can give is don't try to start out doing all kinds of fancy transitions and effects. Best effects are subtle and so that the viewer kind of doesn't realise they are there. 90% of my transition effects are A/B roll (one scene fades into the new scene) and fade to black transitions. I use fade to black between story board segments - like starting a new chapter. A/B is great to kind of just transition as a "time warp" softly moving quickly forward in time. Of course this is just rule of thumb, a lot of times I'll just throw those transitions together to make it look good - especially if the story board is just a jumble of scenes (like cruises, car shows, etc) where there is little story line.

As you get used to it, you'll start to find that you start to shoot your video differently. Once you realise you only use about 3-10 seconds of video at a time, you really start trying to find interesting ways to capture your footage (same as photography that way).

The other thing I really like about video is the ability to story board which doesn't translate in still photography as much. Although I do know that a few of the really good photographers on SAU can capture a story board in one still frame (e.g. composition of primary, secondary elements in scene).

I've been dabbling in editing for some time so hard for me to advise the best way to get started other than get in and start to give it a go. Best way to develop your own style is do what you like and find out for yourself what you don't think works well. When I got started simple A/B roll equipment was about 20k alone and you needed special sync equipment, etc. Now you have the same capability as a full production studio that would have cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for a few hundred on a computer. No one even uses the term "Non-linear editing" anymore cause it's all done that way.

I've yet to do a big production. I'm kind of planning one as my first "indi film" project, soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...