SAU Community

The Photography Chat Thread

GoldZilla

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Added a couple pages on my site. have a look if you've got time and get back to me :blink:

Nice i like it. Its simple and straight to the point. Easy to navigate and loads fast. Looks fine to me ;)

I also got a new blog design. If you have the time would love to hear some feedback. Thank you

www.sidd-rishi.com.au/blog

cheers

Actually i did find an error with your website. If you click on the front image this happens:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mf_previous_image_link() in /home/matthewe/public_html/wp-content/themes/f8-lite/image.php on line 6

Sidd, had an engagement party this weekend, and turns out I'm one of the groomsmen :( (wasn't aware, got there and it's like oh!) Anyway, it's a while off, possibly 18 months or so, but I'll be trying to lean them towards your work as it's just amazing.

Thanks Sidd, I fixed that problem up. :blink:

checked your site, the logo suits well. i like your intro at the start too. very and professional, the shots that scroll at the top are all top notch as well. be proud!

Owen - thank you so much dude. Much grateful :P Hopefully they do like my work... Guessing you gotta do a speech as well? I hate speeches..

Matt - Cheers man. Thanks for taking your time to view my blog. The next step now is to make the main website more professional. I think that will be a big project in itself. Might get a pro to do that work one day.

Edited by siddr20

Hey Guys,

I am now a proud owner of a new Canon G12 and very soon (after I understand what the mountain of options are on the camera) will be turning it off auto. So is there any sites people can recomend to learn about my camera and its settings?

Cheers

Troy

settings are settings regardless of model and even brand. You'll need to play around and work out what menu takes you where and blah blah, but the real important stuff is universal. things like shutter speeds and apeture wont have different meansings. just experiment and read lots. where? type photography fundamentals Or rules of photography in google and go hard!

http://photography-on-the.net/forum <-- Where i learnt everything. It's a canon forum as well and has a specific section for P&S's as well as high end like G10/11/12 etc..

Also, read books!!! Photography is as much about taking the photo as it is retouching it in photoshop/lightroom.

Scott Kelbys books are by far the best for understanding what everything does and waht they are capable of.

Many people recommend Bryan Petersons "Understanding Exposure". I bought it and was bored and over it within 10minutes. It doesn't actually teach you anything when your a n00b. Now i haven't picked it up since i read it a few years ago. It basically tells you about the triangular relationship of ISO/Shutter Speed/Aperture and what they all do.

To be honest.. The best practice? Go out and shoot photos. Ask people who post photos, what settings are these or check if there is EXIF. I wrote up a friggin massive post somewhere about shutter speed/aperture/ISO etc.. its on here somewhere.

Just basically get reading and keep shooting. The fresher it is in your brain the more you will remember!

Oh and congrats on the new purchase. Welcome to the Canon club!

Owen - thank you so much dude. Much grateful :P Hopefully they do like my work... Guessing you gotta do a speech as well? I hate speeches..

Matt - Cheers man. Thanks for taking your time to view my blog. The next step now is to make the main website more professional. I think that will be a big project in itself. Might get a pro to do that work one day.

Nah no speech I don't think, he's got his best man to do that, and I'm the other groomsman :D *phew*

Was slightly worried about that a while ago, cause we've had a few spots of we don't talk for like 6 months and just pick up like nothing's changed, and one of those was when he met Laura, so that'd make it hard to make the speech there :ermm:

I'm gonna give them your site soon, so they can have a squiz. I know it's a long way off, but the sooner I can plant the idea the better.

Hey Guys,

I am now a proud owner of a new Canon G12 and very soon (after I understand what the mountain of options are on the camera) will be turning it off auto. So is there any sites people can recomend to learn about my camera and its settings?

Cheers

Troy

To add to what Kory and Matt have said, also try checking out Canon's own videos, either on their website http://www1.canon.com.au/worldOfEos/learn/home/default.aspx or via the Canon Australia channel on YouTube. Even though the videos focus on D-SLRs, you will pick up lots of information that will help you with a P+S like the G12 where there are heaps of settings you can play with...

Ok, we need to find some way of stomping on people using the Photography forum as their "get up to 10 posts" section. It's happened a few times in the last few months.

Sorry, don't hurt me.

How do you guys rate the 60D for motorsport? Quick and accurate AF and decent all-round camera? It looks pretty good on paper, how is it for you in the real world Nick?

Edited by MaikuL

Sorry, don't hurt me.

How do you guys rate the 60D for motorsport? Quick and accurate AF and decent all-round camera? It looks pretty good on paper, how is it for you in the real world Nick?

I haven't had it long enough to use it in a motorsport environment yet, MaikuL, so I couldn't tell you yet, unfortunately. The camera was only released late September/early October.

However, in saying that, I did have some success with my 450D at WTAC/Superlap, and seeing as the 60D is a better camera with faster focussing, a faster burst mode and better resolution, it should be nice. I'll have to find some photos from that and post them up.

Oh, about 4pm or so we had a whole bunch of choppers flying around the area (I think I read in the local paper that they'll be on some training session over the Parramatta council area). Anyway, I'd just got home and went to grab my camera to see if I could manage some panning shots, and they stopped coming past... :whistling: They were flying right over my house too. :):ninja:

There must have been at least 10 of them, maybe more.

I haven't had it long enough to use it in a motorsport environment yet, MaikuL, so I couldn't tell you yet, unfortunately. The camera was only released late September/early October.

However, in saying that, I did have some success with my 450D at WTAC/Superlap, and seeing as the 60D is a better camera with faster focussing, a faster burst mode and better resolution, it should be nice. I'll have to find some photos from that and post them up.

Hmm true that, my bad. I had a play with a borrowed 350D for about a month, so anything up from that would definitely be awesome.

Cool thanks for that.