SAU Community

Stagea Workshop Manual

sturb25

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 19/06/2019 at 10:32 AM, Duncan said:

Just a quick reminder for people wanting a copy of this manual.  I did not have the original, and some very kind soul (also not me!) scanned 000s of pages years ago. I'm just hosting a copy in the best way I know (dropbox).

I'm always happy to share, but I need you email address to send the link, so please include that with any request.

• 1 month later...

I had a go at running OCR on the C34 service manual. Is anyone interested in that? @Duncan, I could send you a link if you want to add it to your dropbox.

It was a painful process but worked reasonably well. I have attached some pages from the middle to show what it's like. It didn't get all the text in the diagrams but otherwise it is pretty well covered. It's definitely searchable and reasonably selectable now.

Unfortunately it blew up in size and the pdf is now 1.6GB. Which is 1600 megabytes. Which is holy shit better not try to open this on a phone. It works well enough on a computer though.

My goal was to have it machine-translated. But I haven't been able to find a good way of doing it. And considering the number of pages there is no way it is worth doing by hand. Open for suggestions though.

c34_manual_excerpt.pdf

@soviet_merlin

Woah!

Well done on giving it a go. 🙂👍🙏🏻

Perhaps worthwhile looking at the compression/quality settings... PDFs aren't usually too large... Certainly not upwards towards a Gigabyte and past it! 😅😲😬

Edited by jamesnorman93
Added user tag

On 14/10/2021 at 12:13 PM, jamesnorman93 said:

Perhaps worthwhile looking at the compression/quality settings... PDFs aren't usually too large... Certainly not upwards towards a Gigabyte and past it! 😅😲😬

Hmmm, good point! I shall have a look and see if it can be compressed.

It probably blew up in size because I extracted the pdf to images first. It looks like there is something not quite right with the original pdf and the OCR software throws an error when it tries to parse it. I talked to support about it and they proposed to extract it to image files first and then go from there. Which works fine. Except I didn't want the quality to get worse [0] and I might have picked the wrong quality setting.

[0] https://xkcd.com/1683/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 19/06/2019 at 10:32 AM, Duncan said:

Just a quick reminder for people wanting a copy of this manual.  I did not have the original, and some very kind soul (also not me!) scanned 000s of pages years ago. I'm just hosting a copy in the best way I know (dropbox).

I'm always happy to share, but I need you email address to send the link, so please include that with any request.

Also, thanks for the massive effort translating this soviet_merlin.  I'm not really in a position to up and download GB myself with satellite internet but if you have any idea on how best to host it I'm happy to help.

On 18/11/2021 at 8:10 AM, Duncan said:

Also, thanks for the massive effort translating this soviet_merlin.  I'm not really in a position to up and download GB myself with satellite internet but if you have any idea on how best to host it I'm happy to help.

Oh, there's nothing translated yet in my copy. Apologies if I made it sound like it. At this point it's just the first step of running OCR to turn the pdf with just scanned images into a pdf with images and actual text that you can highlight, copy and search for. I'm hoping it might help with translating it but I'm not sure how to go about that.

As James mentioned it probably just needs some compression to reduce the ludicrous size.

Thanks for the offer though, I'll have a go at reducing the size and get back to you when it is a bit more satellite internet friendly :)

• 1 month later...
On 20/12/2021 at 2:22 PM, r33_racer said:

This would be amazing to get a copy of if at all possible?

How do you mean? What would you like to get a copy of? You can PM Duncan for a Dropbox invite to download the scanned service manual. Otherwise happy to share a link as well.

On 18/11/2021 at 8:44 PM, soviet_merlin said:

As James mentioned it probably just needs some compression to reduce the ludicrous size.

Thanks for the offer though, I'll have a go at reducing the size and get back to you when it is a bit more satellite internet friendly :)

Following up on this: I actually had a look at compressing my scan-with-OCR-copy. I have tried compressing it with ghostscript but it didn't work well. The different settings I tried either compressed hardly at all or too much and it looks like ass. Someone in that thread mentioned that LibreOffice has a compression feature with easier control over the quality. I haven't tried that yet but will have another look during the holidays.

On 21/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, soviet_merlin said:

How do you mean? What would you like to get a copy of? You can PM Duncan for a Dropbox invite to download the scanned service manual. Otherwise happy to share a link as well.

Following up on this: I actually had a look at compressing my scan-with-OCR-copy. I have tried compressing it with ghostscript but it didn't work well. The different settings I tried either compressed hardly at all or too much and it looks like ass. Someone in that thread mentioned that LibreOffice has a compression feature with easier control over the quality. I haven't tried that yet but will have another look during the holidays.

Sorry, I meant to get a link to a copy of the translated version if that was available yet?  Is that available or is it still the Jap version?

I have a copy of the C34 Service Manual, but it is in Japanese and when I tried to run it through a translator, it didn't like the PDF file I think.