SAU Community
  • Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Stagea Workshop Manual

sturb25

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 19/06/2019 at 10:32 AM, Duncan said:

Just a quick reminder for people wanting a copy of this manual.  I did not have the original, and some very kind soul (also not me!) scanned 000s of pages years ago. I'm just hosting a copy in the best way I know (dropbox).

I'm always happy to share, but I need you email address to send the link, so please include that with any request.

• 1 month later...

I had a go at running OCR on the C34 service manual. Is anyone interested in that? @Duncan, I could send you a link if you want to add it to your dropbox.

It was a painful process but worked reasonably well. I have attached some pages from the middle to show what it's like. It didn't get all the text in the diagrams but otherwise it is pretty well covered. It's definitely searchable and reasonably selectable now.

Unfortunately it blew up in size and the pdf is now 1.6GB. Which is 1600 megabytes. Which is holy shit better not try to open this on a phone. It works well enough on a computer though.

My goal was to have it machine-translated. But I haven't been able to find a good way of doing it. And considering the number of pages there is no way it is worth doing by hand. Open for suggestions though.

c34_manual_excerpt.pdf

@soviet_merlin

Woah!

Well done on giving it a go. 🙂👍🙏🏻

Perhaps worthwhile looking at the compression/quality settings... PDFs aren't usually too large... Certainly not upwards towards a Gigabyte and past it! 😅😲😬

Edited by jamesnorman93
Added user tag

On 14/10/2021 at 12:13 PM, jamesnorman93 said:

Perhaps worthwhile looking at the compression/quality settings... PDFs aren't usually too large... Certainly not upwards towards a Gigabyte and past it! 😅😲😬

Hmmm, good point! I shall have a look and see if it can be compressed.

It probably blew up in size because I extracted the pdf to images first. It looks like there is something not quite right with the original pdf and the OCR software throws an error when it tries to parse it. I talked to support about it and they proposed to extract it to image files first and then go from there. Which works fine. Except I didn't want the quality to get worse [0] and I might have picked the wrong quality setting.

[0] https://xkcd.com/1683/