SAU Community

Neil's R33 Gts-t Build

Neil

Your always welcome Dan.

I've actually booked a weeks holiday next week so I can get some work done. I'm making a list of what to do,,,it never gets any shorter!!!.

Mr courier delivered this today. I was going to go a full custom cooler but whats the point,,,this one will do the job and they are so cheap these days. The whole kit cost me under $700 bucks,,,my old one which was much the same bought 8 years ago cost $2200.

post-29-0-93482800-1298450935_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-80086500-1298450965_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

Don't forget to mount it upside down mate ;)

I have Wednesday arvo and Thursday off this week, I'll check with the chief owner and operator to see if she has scheduled home work and if not I will place an application for "play with someone else's race car" leave.

Personally im waiting for these to come out.

post-63710-0-98109600-1298699177_thumb.jpg

http://www.koya.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=96&products_id=193

Will be out later this year in 17 x 8,9 or 10. They will build them to a custom PCD and Offset which sounds good.

Those wheels look very similar to Work Emotion, which I do believe come in 17x8 and the guy I bought them through sold them individually.

Not exactly on topic...but not really totally off it either.

Big thanks to Neil for helping me screw the new race car motor together, it had it's first day out today...taking a fair whack off my previous best lap at wakefield :D

Thanks for fixing my can when we could have been finishing this one...I reckon i will get the chance to return the favour soon enough.

Yea nice lap time tiger,,,see you should never bag out the iphone,,,,we would have gone all the way home with you bitching about a 1.07,,, and I only had a six pack.

I find it very amusing that 2 amateurs put an engine together that can now go out and race without having to really touch it!!!. We do have some work to do though,,,,we need to somehow get the water temp up about 10 degrees and fix whoever screwed 2 self tappers into the bov plenum,,,,IDIOTS.

Brad I have lots going on in the back ground mate,,,actually I've decided on gauges which will be stack,,,so I am comparing prices all over the world at the moment. I was going to go with the recall ones but I've decided not to as thats just over-kill.

Cheers

Neil.

we need to somehow get the water temp up about 10 degrees

Really - up?!

What cooling setup changes have you guys made since the last day at OP where it was overheating to hell and back?

Also whats the target temp?

Really - up?!

What cooling setup changes have you guys made since the last day at OP where it was overheating to hell and back?

Also whats the target temp?

Not a lot really,,,just made sure over and over that we did everything right. We have moved the engine oil cooler to the n/s though. Personally I'd like to move the pas cooler as well,,,but that a job down the track.

Water temps,,,I'd like to see her stay at a constant 88,,,maybe 90 at a stretch. While it wasn't that hot a wakie last weekend I watched the gauges all day and that poor stat must have got very confused.

If I was you with your big horsepower I would run 2 big oil coolers,,,each behind both sides of the front bar or dry sump your bitch.

Cheers

Neil.

Really what's wrong with self rappers into the BOV return. Don't they belong there.....

Also the cooler rubbing through that same pipe needed attention

And the catch can bolt rubbing on the top radiator hose too.

Have you Looked the the race pack gear Neil??

Saturday was a Handley day,,,so I spent Sunday piss farting around with mine. Why not fit the brakes,,,fitted the n/s/f disc and pads,,,all went as usual. Went to do the o/s/f and one piston will not retract,,,stuffed around for ages and thought this is crap,,,so I pulled it all apart and will now get seal kits chucked in there. Just for good measure I'm going to remove the rears as well and put kits in them as well,,,shit why not pull the master off and do that to.

Oh well seems the closer I try to get to getting the car going the harder it becomes.

Cheers

Neil.

• 3 weeks later...

Brakes are all back together,,,bleed and ready to go. I had the front calipers blasted and thought maybe I'll paint them and then thought no,,,I like them raw.

Heres some pics of what I'm going to run 1st up

post-29-0-31287100-1301563647_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-39805700-1301563752_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-95788500-1301563809_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-10502300-1301563904_thumb.jpg

I've spent the last week trying to work out my passenger seat,,,now you would think that it would be easy,,,just buy a seat rail,,,bolt it to the seat base and it's done,,,think again. There are no standards for seats or rails. I bought a momo rail,,,nope it makes the seat sit way to high,,,I spent hours getting the seat to fit it and then looked though the front screen at this

post-29-0-29761000-1301565798_thumb.jpg

So I bought a bride rail,,but this one still didn't let the sparco seat bolt up as it fowled on the seat track adjustment lever. Hours of thinking and many beers I came up with this solution.

I used these aluminum bolt in puppies inverted

post-29-0-01156500-1301566875_thumb.jpg

Lots of work but I now have a passenger seat lower and back further than before.

post-29-0-02215700-1301568231_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-22559700-1301568382_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-88445600-1301568416_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

Agreed, and worse when you add a roll cage to it. :)

But lets face it, once you add a roll cage you have given up on building your car for ride and comfort. :D

Neil,

I have next week off (pretty much) so what are you up to next weekend?

Agreed, and worse when you add a roll cage to it. :)

But lets face it, once you add a roll cage you have given up on building your car for ride and comfort. :D

Neil,

I have next week off (pretty much) so what are you up to next weekend?

Some good work was done on the weekend,,,well actually Sunday. I finally got the passenger seat in properly so thats another headf**k out of the way. That bloody seat I think took about 6 hours to get right and I have it fitting beautifully.

Duncan took to working out where the remote oil filter and oil cooler ect should go and put me to work making a good sturdy bracket for the oil filter. I'd noticed a lot of people use aluminium brackets to mount it and when you try and remove the filter it all twists and bends,,,so I'm making a nice robust steal one. I'll post some pics when it's finished.

Duncan also started working out my rear wiring,,,33's are way different than 32's in soooo many ways so a lot of thought has gone in to it. Basically the battery has one big cable going done the n/s to the front and all the other wiring goes done the o/s,,,so he has removed all the rubbish and made up new fuel pump wiring for 2 pumps including relay. Looks great,,,thanks big boy.

Dan,,,Duncan is racing not this coming weekend but the one after so he has me all this coming weekend and with Kel being away at Targa we can for once spend a whole weekend on his car. For once we might be able to make some improvements on his car,,,not fixing stuff ups,,,well thats not totally true we have some stuff ups to fix.

It's just working out at the moment is it mate!!!.

Cheers

Neil.

Duncan took to working out where the remote oil filter and oil cooler ect should go and put me to work making a good sturdy bracket for the oil filter. I'd noticed a lot of people use aluminium brackets to mount it and when you try and remove the filter it all twists and bends,,,so I'm making a nice robust steal one. I'll post some pics when it's finished.

I took a different approach too with 5mm thick aluminium angle - worked out a treat. I can't imagine anyone bending that! And I mounted my remote right in front of the front diff cover. The GTR's have a nice little tidy nook up there. Don't even have to move the oil pan when I drain the sump and filter. Not sure if similar space exists on the GTS-T's.

Alloy angle will fail. Just because it's 5mm thick doesn't really mean anything.

The weight of a filter mount, filter, hoses and the oil inside bouncing around and vibrating will eventually cause the 90 degree edge of the angle to fail.

If you don't want something like that failing it needs to be braced with a web inside the alloy angle or made from steel and preferably braced as well.

I should have said it's billet. I doubt it will fail but I guess time will tell. Already been on there two years and I do frequent oil changes without any signs of fatigue. But I guess if done in steel then would be pretty sure too.