SAU Community

Neil's R33 Gts-t Build

Neil

Looks like I am now going to have to start spending some serious money on my car just to keep up with Cheryl.

A R33 with 250 kw is a nice car to drive - enough power to make it go and not too much power so that you do not start breaking things.

Well done mate!

A R33 with 250 kw is a nice car to drive - enough power to make it go and not too much power so that you do not start breaking things.

Nope Charles,,,I think I need more power and I need boost to come on sooner. Yavuz will have to have a look at that.

Down the back straight at Wakie I was maxing out in 3rd at 7300,,,way before the 100 metre marker and 4th was usless so I removed the rev limiter and ran her to 8500. That seemed to work,,,but maybe i should start looking for a longer diff at that track.

She ran faultlessly all day,,,no blow-by, which I expected,,,she just ran and ran and ran.

My only other issue is now my brakes,,,while they feel great I'm starting to get a ever so slightly longer pedal after 3 hard laps. Colin from Aldred Engineering had maybe a good solution,,,he has a kit that still uses my factory calipers but with a bigger disc and dog bones.

I'm going to enter this coming Saturday's hillclimb at Huntley,,,should be fun.

Cheers

Neil.

Colin's dog bones are well made and allow you to run the larger standard R33 GTR rotors with your GTS-T calipers. This way you can use off the shelf rotors instead of having to buy some special rotors at a higher cost. If you want to go real fancy you could use the two piece GTR rotors from Just Jap as they look quite good at a reasonable price.

Charles have you seen or used the Aldred Engineering kit? I like the idea of retaining stock calipers and increasing the rotor diameter. Very simple ad potentially effective provided it fits square and no fouling between rotor and caliper..

I recall seeing comments about a similar set of adaptors from GKTech, and people having difficulties. (obvious responses about getting what you pay for)

This saturday? or sunday?

usually on a sunday?

Whoops,,,Yes you are very correct my good man,,,Sunday it is. Coming to say hello tiger,,,it's been a bloody long time.

Charles have you seen or used the Aldred Engineering kit? I like the idea of retaining stock calipers and increasing the rotor diameter. Very simple ad potentially effective provided it fits square and no fouling between rotor and caliper..

I recall seeing comments about a similar set of adaptors from GKTech, and people having difficulties. (obvious responses about getting what you pay for)

Brock had them fitted to his GTS-T which sparked my interest,,,but he only got to do one session because of turbo issues. What a bummer that was.

Dale,,,I have also read that thread about the GK's and there's no way I'm machining my calipers to make them fit,,,that's just bloody stupid. I would have liked to have read that thread before seeing them on Brocks car so i could have asked more questions but I didn't.

Colin was telling me his kit has been engineered and fits properly. His kit which I think sells for $950 includes DBA Discs,Pads and the Dog Bones. Email him at aldredengineering.com.au for his complete run down mate.

Cheers

Neil.

Yeah I first saw them on Brock's R33 GTS-T at Huntly and started asking a few questions about them. Brock is a mechanic and has a workshop in Helensburgh and has used his race car for the development of this kit.

I subsequently visited Colin's workshop at Helensburgh and was very impressed by the quality of his machining equipment and his commitment to detail. (Colin is one of the Skyline family as he races a R32 GTR)

The other benefit of this kit is that you are not changing callipers / pistons so the brake balance remains the same and you do not have to play with master cylinders and bias.

I have taken the much more costly approach in going for a full R33 GTR Brembo setup - front and rear callipers, disks and hoses plus a R32 GTR 3 port master cylinder and R33 GTR booster as I do not run ABS.

Neil,

I've got some family coming over during the day but I'll be sure to come out and pay you a visit.

Should I bring a 6 pack of VB's?

It would be great to catch up on old times tiger,,,no beer during proceedings remember but pack up beers are always on the cards.

Matty tells me the weather is going to be a bit iffy,,,Huntley in the rain sounds very scary.

Cheers

Neil.

Nope Charles,,,I think I need more power and I need boost to come on sooner. Yavuz will have to have a look at that.

Down the back straight at Wakie I was maxing out in 3rd at 7300,,,way before the 100 metre marker and 4th was usless so I removed the rev limiter and ran her to 8500. That seemed to work,,,but maybe i should start looking for a longer diff at that track.

She ran faultlessly all day,,,no blow-by, which I expected,,,she just ran and ran and ran.

My only other issue is now my brakes,,,while they feel great I'm starting to get a ever so slightly longer pedal after 3 hard laps. Colin from Aldred Engineering had maybe a good solution,,,he has a kit that still uses my factory calipers but with a bigger disc and dog bones.

I'm going to enter this coming Saturday's hillclimb at Huntley,,,should be fun.

Cheers

Neil.

What about running a larger tyre? You might have to run 18's though.

Might be cheaper than a diff or popping the engine. I have a spare 4.08 but never got to run it as I ran into the same problem as you.

Read the whole thread over the last week.

Awesome stuff! :cheers:

Thanks mate,,,glad you liked it,,,It's been a long enjoyable road and it is far from finished.

Cheers

Neil.

It's absolutely bucketing down at the moment with the forecast telling much of the same all day.

Wouldn't be surprised if it gets shitcanned

Great to catch up again mate,,,you big family man you,,,. Bloody rain,,,I hate it.

Cheers

Neil.

What about running a larger tyre? You might have to run 18's though.

Might be cheaper than a diff or popping the engine. I have a spare 4.08 but never got to run it as I ran into the same problem as you.

Hey mate I'm already on 234/45/17's and now have 2 sets of Weds,,, so no way am I going to change wheels. I have my old open diff sitting here that is longer,,,I might look at shimming the old girl up. Duncan had great success with getting his shimmed. Is your 4.08 up for sale???.

Cheers

Neil.

i heard that neil is scared of his own car in the rain

Yes that is absolutely correct my favourite hunk of manhood. Something about Cheryl's arse-end stepping out everytime she comes on boost frightens the bloody shit out of me.

See you next weekend at wakie for some good track day laps big fella.

Cheers

Neil.

Hey mate I'm already on 234/45/17's and now have 2 sets of Weds,,, so no way am I going to change wheels. I have my old open diff sitting here that is longer,,,I might look at shimming the old girl up. Duncan had great success with getting his shimmed. Is your 4.08 up for sale???.

Cheers

Neil.

Yer mate I was going to sell it it has a Nismo 1.5 LSD in it?

What ratio are you running now as std you should have a 4:11 in it.