SAU Community

Neil's R33 Gts-t Build

Neil

Bloody hell...what about yesterday,,,I think the 30/11/2014 will now be known as the day I actually started hating working on racecars.

After huntley hillclimb Cheryl went into the garage running as usual,,,beautifully. I had started making a front splitter for her and conned Duncan into using his hoist. Start her up and she's misfiring,,,pop the bonnet and could see nothing wrong and quite frankly paid it no real attention. 1/2 an hour later she's purring like a kitten again and onto the trailer. Get to Duncans and she's back to misfiring again. On to the hoist spent some hours finishing the splitter and now she won't even start. We checked everything,,,included removing all the intake pipes and hoses,,AFM,,,Coils,,,crank sensor,,,you name it we checked it. So in the end the only thing that had changed between huntley and now was I had put 20 litres of fuel in her,,,so we drained the tank and put 20 litres of fresh fuel in her,,,still nothing. By this time I getting very pissed off,,,Duncan's good in these situations and keeps a level head,,,me I could have started throwing spanners but hey they were his. So with all the cranking it was time to pull the spark plugs which were new and give them a clean,,,they were very wet. Wire brushed them and she started and ran as usual. Figger that out,,,we have fixed something,,,god only knows what,,,so time to go back onto the trailer and the bloody heavens open up. 9.00pm on a Sunday night 2 drowned rats later and well someones old tow car starts playing up,,,but thats another story.

Cheers

Neil.

Got asked this weekend, at Mt cotton if I was back for another go.... And to try and keep it out of the bank this time..... Didn't think to much about it. Till I Started reading this build. (think they where talking about your car)

Must be a skyline thing... I stuck mine into the nuts... :yes: Big car to get around that tight track...

Got asked this weekend, at Mt cotton if I was back for another go.... And to try and keep it out of the bank this time..... Didn't think to much about it. Till I Started reading this build. (think they where talking about your car)

Must be a skyline thing... I stuck mine into the nuts... :yes: Big car to get around that tight track...

Ha Ha that's very amusing,,,I would like to go back there for another go as it's much better than the goat track from this years Aussie hillclimb nats. I would have much rathered stick her into the nuts as well,,,much less damage. How cool are the macadamia shells for slowing a car down.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

front splitters... you have changed you poof

I have told you over and over again big boy,,,keep an eye in your mirrors because I'm going to beat YOU.

post-29-0-93947200-1417430813_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-89005400-1417430840_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-00171900-1417430859_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-80802200-1417430882_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-39142700-1417430900_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-08012900-1417430954_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-09679700-1417430974_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

not as big as the Soarer that holds the record for the class :P hehe

Areo... that is just a black art I have never been able to fully get my head around. I like this, looking forward to your results young fella!

That looks seriously good Neil - what material is it made from?

Hey Dan,,,glad to see you are still lurking around SAU,,,. It's not really that hard,,,then again I sort out a person that actually knows aero and he basically told me "Flat Floor all the way to just in front of the rear diff and then add a diffuser for rear down force". Much like my Radical,,,so this is stage 1 or attempt 1. I will be making a full under floor system down the road,,,but I need to conn Duncan into using his hoist again. No way can you do it on stands.

Charles,,,

http://www.alusign.com.au/

It's just .3 aluminium top and bottom with a polyethylene sandwiched in between sign boarding. He usually only sells it in orders of 30 sheets but I told him a little lie and bought 1 sheet under the premise I would give him a big order next time. It works great on hillclimb open wheeler cars that don't use carbon fibre. It's so easy to cut,,,I used a jigsaw to cut the front and a sharp knife to do the rest.

Noddy,,, looks like you stopped at the rear of your front bar,,,not saying you are right or wrong,,,just wondering why,,,is it a rule thing maybe?.

Cheers

Neil.

I've been doing some aero development with John Campbell who has built a few successful 2A category cars over the years. If I ran a flat tray like yours and stopped it where mine has to, there is a large gap in the middle up to the sump pan. The Wheels create a lot of turbulence so isn't a problem there but to take full advantage of the stable air flow, it needs to be longer, like yours.

Mine dips up to some factory mounting positions for the original tray. It works very much like a diffuser does creating a vacuum at speed, sucking the front to the ground.

Yours relies on smooth clean air flow. It's maintaining an air cushion. It's like when you try and lift a sheet of core flute straight up off the bench. Air has to get in under it. On is own it doesn't create any down force, just helps to maintain the status-quo. The bigger the surface area this more efficient it is. The closer it is to the ground makes a big difference too.

buy that purple gtr and i might watch my mirrors

Whilst I like the car,,, the boss woman hates the purple,,,so short of a respray which isn't going to happen that car is out. I did say it would look great with bright coloured stickers,,,the answer was still a flat no.

I didn't get a lot of quality track time and I really needed to do some practice laps so I don't really know if the spitter worked or not. I only really got 4 laps in succession on my own and the rear end was a little more tail happy than usual. I had the Kumho V700's on her which I hadn't done any laps on before ,,,so I don't know whether I need more rear downforce or the tyres were too high in pressure. I might try a do another track day before the end of the year (Wakie Sunday 21st December) and try and get my head around whats what. I do know the my rear diffuser mounts are a massive pain in the arse to bolt up but I will fix that beforehand.

Cheers

Neil.