SAU Community

Neil's R33 Gts-t Build

Neil

Good pick up Duncan and Neil.

I also have been let down by faulty tyre pressure gauges in the past and I now have two - a digital unit and an analogue unit. I pump the tyres up with the digital one and check them with the analogue on - only then am I confident that the tyre pressure is correct.

Tyres are just too expensive to run them at the wrong pressure.

• 4 weeks later...

This coming weekend see's us off to Tamworth for round 5 for the NSW Champs.

Alan (turboed Austin Healy) and I are fighting hard for the class win and he beat me at the last one and beat last year at Tamworth as well, so I have to pull my finger out.

Will be interesting to see how the car goes now with proper tyre pressures.

I am now running a GTR rear spoiler, so adjustability should help on one of the flatest climbs on our calendar.

We have unfortunately spent way too much money on non race car stuff recently, more on the tow car. Melinda was sick of buying ice all the time,so we bought an Engel 12/240 40 litre fridge and we now have a new navman with Hema 4wd tracks loaded. I'm getting worried about the wifey.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

On 21/06/2016 at 7:33 PM, Neil said:

I've always wondered why I've had lack of rear traction,

Duncan decided to fit his TPMS onto my wheels for the last run at the last hillclimb and checked them with his hand held gauge just to make sure they were working properly. We checked it with another guys gauge just to make sure.

Turns out my tyre pressure guage was reading 7 pounds lower than fact. What a waste of those soft slicks, might have to re-visit them after I wear out the current Hankooks.

Cheers

Neil.

Well that's a shit go!

Just so you know, I find those BMW ones quite accurate, and when they give up, the gauge part can clear about 2metres of flight on a 42PSI tyre...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MBS206 said:

Tell Mel, in a few weeks I'll come up and we can go test out that Hema!

Good luck in Tamworth too!

We should invite Fatz as well, then I can say I pulled a cruiser and a 4 ring circus out of the mud. The hema maps are strange, 2 locations today, 1st one took us through private property with lots of goats, cows, sheep and dogs all cruising where ever they liked and the 2nd one stopped us at a locked gate after a billion river crossings. Think I'll have to invest in a snorkel next, Mel is getting out of control with all this 4wding shit.

Great to report though the patrol did her usual thing and cruised up here with out any problems. Now It's Cheryl's turn to do her stuff.

Cheers

Neil.

18 hours ago, MBS206 said:

Well that's a shit go!

Just so you know, I find those BMW ones quite accurate, and when they give up, the gauge part can clear about 2metres of flight on a 42PSI tyre...

I have another BMW one if you so desire.

17 hours ago, BOZ22N said:

Good luck buddy!

Thanks mate, I'm gonna need it.

It's a pity your build thread pics don't work anymore, I would have liked to show one of the guys son's your car this weekend.

Cheers

Neil.

5 hours ago, Neil said:

I have another BMW one if you so desire.

All good mate, going to grab some deflators for it. My poor legs and knees don't like being kneeled down the whole time.

And yep. HEAPS of off road maps hit locked gates or private property. Had the same issue before when following other maps, ha ha.

I need a snorkel too, been through a few water crossings I shouldn't have and risking an engine, ha ha.

Have fun at Tamworth, hope you beat the other guy... if not you can always lend him your tyre gauge ;)

Great day of racing today, I didn't win my class, but I had a ball.

Allan in the Sprite beat me by 6 tenths, so good luck to him. :D

http://racing.natsoft.com.au/637374993/object_361324.87Q/View?1

22nd outright is a pretty cool result in my book.

Things to attack in the future shall be wider rear rims and harder springs.

Pleasing to note that the GTR rear spoiler and correct tyre pressures help immensely, now maybe I might go back to a big front splitter again.

Cheers

Neil.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fatz said:

I though to become the state hill climb champion you just had to turn up

two people in the same class this shit is nail biting 

Love sugar tits

Kiss it ya bitch, but the fact remains, I'm out there doing it and your sitting behind a keyboard. 

Cheers

Neil.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I've up-dated this thread, since Tamworth we ventured up to Raymond terrace where Alan handed me my arse by a full second, but with Canberra being the next round and a quick open run I thought I would buy some new tyres. We had booked Leyburn Sprints up in QLD in between so I ordered a set of Hankook 255's instead of the 235's and they seemed to work better. I thought it would be a good idea to do some testing before the Canberra round so I booked a day at Marulan. Things were going great on a track that I knew, the wider tyres were working a treat, but Cheryl decided to start arguing. Turns out the Bosch 040 pump has been picking up a load of black shit from the bottom of the tank and was blocking the pick-up. Replaced it because I was worried it may have been damaged from starvation,chucked her on the dyno and all was good again. Seems I now have 255 kilowatts not 235, dyno's are so full of bullshit. We turn up to Canberra and she's fouled the plugs big time, Duncan and I changed them and she was purring like a kitten again. Had a great fight with Alan all day and happy to say I got the trophy. So with 1 round to go at Huntley I can't be beaten for the Championship. I'm thinking I'll revert back to the smaller tyres and save the bigger tyres for the weekend after which is the Australian Hillclimb championships in Victoria.

Work never stops though, I decided to lighten the front reo so with my trusty hole punch kit I saved almost a kilo,

20161013_213506.jpg

At Marulan I was out with a dirty Evo that was more than happy to cut corners and throws rocks at me. Look at the treatment my poor chinese oil cooler copped.

20161013_213604.jpg

So I decided to dump it and change to a serec cooler I've had been meaning to run for ages

20161013_213838.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

• Like 2

Please Gents, no talk of dirty evo's in my build thread.

Only a retarded fool would give up a Skyline and buy a such a ugly toilet of a car. Such a male should have all their genitals removed with a blunt knife so there's no chance of re-attachment. 

Cheers

Neil.

• Like 4