SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

I've been keeping an eye out on these for a while, now they are finally about to be released and there is now enough info to make it worth posting about them. From November 1st they should start becoming a lot more talked about, they will be shown at SEMA in the US and the plan is to take turbocharging on performance "spark ignited" vehicles to a new level.

There are a variety of different specs and options, and including things like boost control solenoids and BOVs integrated with the turbochargers themselves, internal or external wastegate options, ball bearing core (previously Garrett and IHI have been the main players for the BB obsessed) while also having billet ETT compressor wheels and other things which are the trendy things currently.

There has been an aweful lot invested in these, Borg Warner have been working with various tuners and race teams on the development and testing of these and I reckon there is a good chance they'll make a lot of the options which are currently as far as anyone will look become a bit old news - I know I am partly holding off to see what they prove to be like before I make any decisions in regards to what next for my car.

Cosworth are one of the companies who have worked with BW on these, and have a bit of a speel on their website:

http://www.cosworthusa.com/news/article.asp?idpage=57

Should be interesting to see the first waves of results from these units :)

Absolutely, Sierra Sierra EVO is running one now - the fact they are broadcasting about it on what is one of the fastest time attack cars ever has got to be a sign of confidence... if it goes quicker than it has before then thats a testament.

Are they going to be the typical Borg Warners though? I.e Large Frame stuff aimed at drag racing, or will there be anything aimed at the GT30-GT35 audience? or even smaller?

It says 350-1000hp....but that being said, you can push 350hp out of an RB25 running a GT40 with low enough boost lol

It says 350-1000hp....but that being said, you can push 350hp out of an RB25 running a GT40 with low enough boost lol

hahaha yeah, or strangle it with a tiny exhaust housing.

Either way, Im very interested in how these turn out.

If you want to use HKS as the "select a hp level and pick a solution from a catalog" yard stick then it seems like the EFR turbos are effectively going to be servicing the HKS GT-RS to HKS T51R equivalent range... basically most of the options will apply to most of the types of things spoken about in upgrade threads in this forum :)

If you want to use HKS as the "select a hp level and pick a solution from a catalog" yard stick then it seems like the EFR turbos are effectively going to be servicing the HKS GT-RS to HKS T51R range... basically most of the options will apply to most of the types of things spoken about in upgrade threads in this forum :)

Sounds good,

I dont like the look of the internal wastegate setups though, screams boost control issues to me.

They do sound very expensive though, being that the journal bearing turbos were 2K+ so im a little scared to see what these will cost.

The journal bearing borg warners are 1k (where did you get 2k from??), so hopefully these come in sub 2k US.

The wastegate is in line with the exh flow, rather than at right angles as per normal turbo internal wastegates- what part of that tells you they won't control boost well?

The journal bearing borg warners are 1k (where did you get 2k from??), so hopefully these come in sub 2k US.

The wastegate is in line with the exh flow, rather than at right angles as per normal turbo internal wastegates- what part of that tells you they won't control boost well?

Really I though they were much more than that, I must be looking in the wrong places then :)

As for the boost control things, its just the way that the exhaust gas coming from the flapper flows perpendicular to the gases leaving the turbine wheel, rather than inline like a garrett.

They specifically refer to having done R&D into getting the internal gate flow optimal for boost control AND flow though say that there will be cases (ie trying to run really low boost on high flow setups) where an external setup will be needed. Its not a bunch of newbies doing a spur of the moment money making spin here, they mean business... I am pretty confident these things are going to be very good and am fairly confident I know where my money will be going.

• 2 weeks later...

If I could get a single scroll, T3 flanged, non-WG housing on the 600-1000hp turbo, I'd have one.. but all the non-WG housings seems to be twin scroll and I don't want to have to get a new manifold made.

You probably lose much of any advantage they have by staying single scroll in that power range , the T3 footprint is getting on its last legs not too far into that zone as well .

I reckon this is probably why Garrett didn't go beyond the GT3582R 1.06 A/R turbo variation . In Diesel form GT35 turbine housings are huge TS T4 International flanged things in from memory 1.05 and 1.17 A/R's .

Yes the EFR turbos have been in development for a while and they're trying to do all the smart things to make high power capable engine/turbo systems work better overall .

The low friction bearing system/low mass turbines/well thought out turbine housings/port shrouded compressor housings with integral throttle closed recirc systems .

I haven't looked to see if any of their IW turbine housings are proper twin scroll twin wastegate path/valve ones like Mitsubishi and IHI use at times on TS Evos and Zoobs . These would not be cheap or easy to develop but I have a feeling that they would take the market by storm and clean up because they work so well and are easy to apply once a decision is made on flange pattern .

A .

I wouldn't be surprised if the EFR6255 would spool similar or better than a GT2530 though given the wheels are actually bigger it remains to be seen, need to see some results somewhere for one of these turbos to get an idea. Mitsi TD05 wheels are pretty big and despite the plain bearing cores seem to spool very well so its not that simple, will be interesting to see how the fancy light turbine, BB core etc etc come together in practice.