SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

On ‎1‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 5:20 AM, VFRegal said:

Tom is yours a T4 TS IWG ?
Did you run the stock actuator and or have any issues with boost control ?

For anyone interested, here is my 7670 dyno graph.

Car is an Evo V. As you can see, it's fairly responsive.

Not pushing it at all on 98, only 20 psi.

attachicon.gifEvo_98.jpg

Hey man, it's T4 twin external gates. While the plumbing is a nightmare, I didn't want to have to deal with boost control issues

6 hours ago, Tom Tucker said:

Hey man, it's T4 twin external gates. While the plumbing is a nightmare, I didn't want to have to deal with boost control issues

Cheers. Like your S15 was. I've got dramas with my 7163, unsure if tuner or setup so far. Tempted to convert to EWG.

10 hours ago, VFRegal said:

Cheers. Like your S15 was. I've got dramas with my 7163, unsure if tuner or setup so far. Tempted to convert to EWG.

If you're on a SR20.. you will find the low timing dip when torque ramps up will cause the turbo to over boost a bit.. a touch hard to iron out.. unless you're on E85 and can dial in more timing.. Either that control your boost solenoid by DC vs RPM.

3 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

If you're on a SR20.. you will find the low timing dip when torque ramps up will cause the turbo to over boost a bit.. a touch hard to iron out.. unless you're on E85 and can dial in more timing.. Either that control your boost solenoid by DC vs RPM.

SR20, E85. Boost just dropping off like mad. I need to go through the setup a bit better as current tuner doesn't seem interested in trying to find the issue and is blaming the turbo and being IWG. Boost control is by rpm on avc-r with 4 port mac valve dual port turbosmart actuator.

Awesome turbo even with the boost dropping. Just pulls like mad.

40 minutes ago, VFRegal said:

SR20, E85. Boost just dropping off like mad. I need to go through the setup a bit better as current tuner doesn't seem interested in trying to find the issue and is blaming the turbo and being IWG. Boost control is by rpm on avc-r with 4 port mac valve dual port turbosmart actuator.

In the AVC-R, when you're in the Setting Menu, hit next next.. it allows you to fine tune duty cycle by RPM (which is defined in the NE Menu). See where boost is bleeding off and add DC to those RPM points defined by the NE Points.

Who's tuning your car?

1 hour ago, VFRegal said:

SUPER interested to hear about these results. Is it a stock / forged SR20? Most people seem to be running these on SR22's or VET's. Hard to find much info on a 'plain old' SR20.

So you're running EFR 7163 on SR20 with T4 TS internal gate? Low mount Hypertune manifold? High mount Fullrace manifold? This is the exact combo I was looking at. NOTHING wrong with my current GTX2863R setup (except it doesn't hold boost very well). Looking for an excuse to go to BW town. Was looking at 6758 for crazy response setup, but from what I'm reading there will be minimal loss in response going to 7163, and much nicer fat top end.

Got a dyno chart of the setup?

FYI I'm running forged engine and e85 setup (although currently maxxing my 950cc injectors). Greddy Eboost Profec II Spec B (who comes up with these freakin names). Z32 AFM, Nistune w/flex.

use a turbosmart dual port actuator.. I tuned a SR20 with a GTX2867 using that actuator and the boost was pretty flat.. not ruler flat as an EWG but flat enough :)

Just fuel system couldn't keep up, ripping out the junk DW300 and replacing it with a Walbro 450L

21 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

use a turbosmart dual port actuator.. I tuned a SR20 with a GTX2867 using that actuator and the boost was pretty flat.. not ruler flat as an EWG but flat enough :)

Just fuel system couldn't keep up, ripping out the junk DW300 and replacing it with a Walbro 450L

Interesting. I'm running aftermarket Kinugawa actuator on mine with 19psi spring in it. Currently hits about 24psi... then tapers down to ~19psi.Would love to be able to hold the ~24psi all the way, would net a little more top end and pull a bit harder once up and going... that's about the limit though. 0.64 rear housing so it chokes a bit with anymore boost.

PS. Yeah I'm running the Walbro 450lph fuel pump too, hard wired... no issues thus far.

Chequered - Power- 271 - Fixed boost leak.jpg

Chequered - Boost - 271 - Fixed boost leak.jpg

try turning your gain down so the EBC is more lazy and increase your SET to higher

anyhow, these twin ports are great for controlling boost.. just remember to set your EBC to external waste gate mode to use the twin port

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Product-Categories/Universal-Fit-Internal-Wastegate-Actuators/IWG75-Twin-Port-Universal-150mm-14-PSI.html

2 hours ago, VFRegal said:

Wouldn't a restriction from IWG lead to boost creep rather than a drop?

The other possibility is compressor running out of puff but 7163 can flow quite a lot. Couple of guys on nissansilvia running it, one on a slightly higher comp VET setup, which would be more prone to boost drop in that situation - think that's bradsm87. Pretty sure he's IWG but cant remember for sure. Also nicknack had one IIRC.

Edited by Skepticism

Stock sr20 260 procams. nistune E85, blow through Z32. Was running hks evcs switched avc-r for boost control by rpm as recommend by tuner.
Fullrace top mount TS 7163 and dump. I think it's either a leak or wastegate setup so need to find dyno for hire or somewhere a bit more receptive to testing / debugging.

There's a bit of info over at NRR and on NS in the efr threads.

Finally finished fitting an EFR 8374iwg  on a 2.8 and must say it is a step up from the 5s in every way.

Definitely recommend it.

P7070013.thumb.JPG.db6eca751148cfa5d5ff0d81f044ed75.JPG

Welcome to the club!

I would really like to see how mine compares boost threshold etc on pumpgas if you can get some data. Thanks!

Mine has begun, should be getting tuned in about 3 weeks if all goes to plan

Stock rb26

T4 twin scroll manifold

EFR 8374 twin scroll 1.04

External gate

Custom 3.5" exhaust

264 cams, springs/retainers, studs and metal head gasket

Haltech

E85

I doubt I'll be able to get its maximum potential given the stock bottom end but we should see 500kw and 30psi around 4100rpm

2016-07-05_20.59.45.jpg

11 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

have you pulled out timing yet? it will seriously wake up your turbo

Adding fuel DEFINITELY helped...I had a lean spot. I've been playing with cams and all but vacation took some days out of my tuning schedule :) .

Advancing cams 2 deg in and 2 deg ex didn't really help. I think the Tomei's like 0 and 0 to be honest. It was my best overall powerband.

I'll pull timing on boost onset for you today and get back to back logs at same temps, etc.

Also I want to note that the car is extremely responsive and drivable. in 3rd it's full boost almost exactly at 4k and I'm very happy with that. I have compared my powerband to lots of others and it's extremely acceptable so far. Top end is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, usmair said:

Mine has begun, should be getting tuned in about 3 weeks if all goes to plan

Stock rb26

T4 twin scroll manifold

EFR 8374 twin scroll 1.04

External gate

Custom 3.5" exhaust

264 cams, springs/retainers, studs and metal head gasket

Haltech

E85

I doubt I'll be able to get its maximum potential given the stock bottom end but we should see 500kw and 30psi around 4100rpm

2016-07-05_20.59.45.jpg

Should be awesome!!!

I'll be moving to E85 in the next couple of months as well. Done with this pumpgas! I am just leaving too much power on the table.