SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

Not actually stressed at all, more bewildered at how much you expect to be provided with when clearly we all would like to see such testing. There is enough people out there who have tested EFR7670s on Subarus, Mitsubishis, Toyotas, Hondas etc to get a fairly good idea of how they are going to compare with competitor turbos in "all things being equal" situations. Enough so that better response and more power than a GT3076R is a safe bet.

Thanks Geoff. I'm currently using apair of the Greddy T618z 10cm atm. I'm really undecided on which BW efr turbo to use, single or twin. I think I will see what the Greddy is capable of and what the car really need before pulling the trigger on one of your manifold and the BW's. I suspect that it will be a big single with dual wastgates given that the car will be fully aero and has a holinger 6 speeds sequential. It will be predominantly be at high rpm at Eastern creek.

• 2 weeks later...

Any 1.05a/r housings being made for the EFR8374?

.....failing that, anyone want to swap a .92a/r IWG housing (investment cast, not green sand cast, HPC coated in black) for a 1.05a/r EWG housing? I'm looking to go to a larger one.

• 4 weeks later...

I see Full race have all the EFR turbos up now in every housing option.

are they sand cast turbine housing or the fancy shit that was designed from beginning?

i am just about ready to pull the trigger and dust some cash on efr and the full race manifold for the gtr.

8374 or 7670 on a built rb26. higher comp e85 job 1.05 housing twin gated.. i cant work out which turbo to go with tho.

max out the 7670 or have some room to play with the 8374

I see Full race have all the EFR turbos up now in every housing option.

are they sand cast turbine housing or the fancy shit that was designed from beginning?

i am just about ready to pull the trigger and dust some cash on efr and the full race manifold for the gtr.

8374 or 7670 on a stock built rb26. higher comp e85 job 1.05 housing twin gated.. i cant work out which turbo to go with tho.

I'm sure Geoff at full race would be able to help you out

Kinda hopeing he pops by here soon :)

hows your motor and turbo going?

Still pulling like a freight train, engine is coming out for racepace sump and a few other things soon..

Ill take ya for a spin when it's done if your keen

So what do you think is the go then :P

maybe go up in rear housing to 1.01 or change the tip geometry.

I want dat 400kw's on pulp ! Lol.

Well we did dial in the cam gears for response so i lost a bit up top

originally i was making 375rwkw on 19psi while the gears were set at 0

also depending on what dyno you use, will determine your 400rwkw ;).. The ungroup dyno is considered to be conservative :)

If you are really wanted to push past the 400rwkw mark.. definatly go up in the rear housing.. you will only lose minor response.

When the Fullrace website says the 0.91 housing is only good for 25psi.. THEY MEAN IT! as you can see from my result haha

• 3 weeks later...

late night doing some RB26 planning for myself @ 1AM and saw the thread, figured id try and answer a few questions

I'm really undecided on which BW efr turbo to use, single or twin... I suspect that it will be a big single with dual wastgates given that the car will be fully aero and has a holinger 6 speeds sequential. It will be predominantly be at high rpm at Eastern creek.

Thats a great question we are often asked .. twinturbo VS single twinscroll? lately the answer has been twin becuase we have them consistently in stock, and they haul the mail.. From a performance and function standpoint both have pros and cons -- Truth be told, Im a die-hard single turbo guy... but learning what I have through this EFR process, and talking to Indycar drivers -the twin EFRs will have lower inertia than the bigger single: this means faster response on the twins and a slight advantage on smaller tracks and/or tight turns.

We refined our twin turbo RB26 kit a LOT over the last few months, it now fits the r32/33/34 chassis equally well, and a bit simpler to plumb. <R32 must convert to single output PS pump! rb20, rb25, r33, z32, etc> off-the-shelf B1 EFR turbos will fit and our vband downpipe adapts to stock/aftermarket style Y-pipe ( the charge pipes are simplified too). However that being said a single turbo is easier and faster to work on and access .. and you dont need as much plumbing and pipework. The twinscroll 9180 is a beast but availability is a joke... if we ever get them in i might be able to suggest them as an option... we should see 1.45 a/r housing upgrades available in July for 8374 and 9180 also - this 1.45 9180 EFR is a true legitimate 1000whp 67mm combination. currently my RB26 has the 8374 twinscroll on it because we race on a tight track, and my racecar is a LHD s-chassis, very tight space constraints with my brake boost/master and steering shaft.. I am tempted to make the twins fit tho... not sure yet

just about ready to pull the trigger and dust some cash on efr and the full race manifold for the gtr. 8374 or 7670 on a built rb26. higher comp e85 job 1.05 housing twin gated.. i cant work out which turbo to go with tho. max out the 7670 or have some room to play with the 8374

7670 is small for a built RB26, I expect you would be operating it at an overspeed condition. Really there is no benefit to that and it's harder on the motor to make the power - higher backpressure/egt/iat and no real benefit. I run the 8374 with twin external gats on my RB26 at the moment and absolutely love it, as does the blue R34 weve had in pics (although internal gate on his). I will have to get some photos and vids for you he is driving it daily and loves the powerband but he is only at 24psi, i am running 30 on mine. also on my daily driver evo i run the 8374 internal gate at 30psi on pumpgas... absolutely love this turbo and can not say enough good things about it for cars that can put the power down. i expect we will see a bunch more of the 8374 twinscroll iwg soon - the others with external gate are still lagging

The 9180 is the biggest frame yes ? More of a 1000hp turbo I thought.

the EFR9180 is the largest of the family, and when the 1.45 a/r becomes available it will be a legitimate 1000hp turbo. Here is my friend's 2.5L subaru STi engine who tested the S300SX 9180 0.91 a/r vs EFR9180 1.05 a/r at 5500ft elevation and only 33psi boost:

efrvs9179rpmcorrected_zps3ffd1549.jpg

^^ignore the jagged torque dropoff, that was tire spin -- its really impressive to see that a 94lb/min compressor turbo can spool faster than an 80lb/min compressor turbo, due to the lightweight rotating assy and aero/efficiency

If you are really wanted to push past the 400rwkw mark.. definatly go up in the rear housing.. you will only lose minor response. When the Fullrace website says the 0.91 housing is only good for 25psi.. THEY MEAN IT! as you can see from my result haha

on the flat tip turbine found on the 8375 you are 100% correct! FYI on the newer FMW turbo is available with a cupped tip wheel which flows quite a bit more and you can go one size down on a/r vs the flat tip

I want dat 400kw's on pulp ! Lol.

if you want a comfy 400kw on pump and would like to stay in the S300SX family - the FMW with cupped tip and .91 a/r would be my vote. You could also do it with a 1.00 a/r but its not necessary like on the flat tip wheel

I have looked, like I said all I see are EVO results. I prefer to see the EFR 7670 or a EFR 7064 on a RB25DET and make the decision on that. Relax Lith, I wasn't having a stab at anyone.

as much as we would like to have RB25 EFR results, the turbo availabilty is still sparse and RB engines are very rare in the USA.... since no cars sold here ever had RBs. Its actually REALLY difficult for us skyline enthusiasts here, hell i bought an R32 GTR clip for the sake of getting the EFR twin turbo fitments perfected - R34 gtr on the hoist with the R32 clip right next to it, test fitting/tweaking/repeat. We will have RB25 results eventually but like Lith said its pretty easy to extrapolate trends from existing data and results. also the borgwarner matchbot is a simple to use tool that can really help you get in the ballpark on professional turbo matching (watch the youtube videos for an intro)

Edited by Full-Race Geoff