SAU Community

Rev Limter On Na R33?

I've got a skyline R33 rb25de, non turbo. is it possible to put a rev limiter on it? the bee one possibly?

I'm wondering about the rev limiter that causes the backfire, not necessarily sparks but the sound.

The cars got a 3.5" exhaust system.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please tell me that you simply stuffed up and meant to say that it has a 2.5" system and not a 3.5" system. if it does indeed have a 3.5" system then you are a tool. as kris said, you will be losing power.

as for the rev limiter, they have a stock one, why put an aftermarket one on? the bee-r limiter when it is popping and banging away when you are on the limiter you are putting excess stress on the manifold as well as the valves. instead of the explosion taking place in the combustion chamber, it is taking place in the exhaust manifold.

LOL @ an N/A having a Bee*R rev limiter, what exactly are you going to do with it, apart from wrecking your motor?

put oranges in the cannon and see if it would shoot them out?

yeah, it is a 3.5" cat back exhaust system. it's loud as it is, but i really wanted the gun shot sound that come when u hit the rev limiter on the bee-r.

and is there any other way to get that sound out of the car or sparks out the back without a limiter? or with one and just not cause that much damage?

is it really that bad for the engine? andd if i was to put it on, would it work on a NA?

(i get it sounds like a heaps douchy thing to just want sound out of it, but im not the type to race it from light to light either, so i was just lookin for ways like this to mod it...sound mainly)

Edited by hop1308

I find it hard to believe you dont want to race at the lights so people can hear your car sounding like a spark plug is being chewed up in your motor....

You also admitted you are a douche as you still want the sounds even though they are pointless for performance and more damaging then anything else...

If you want a show at the lights do the following:

tap into your fuel line and t off it so a small amount of fuel will come out of a thin tube...

drill a small hole about a foot away from the tip of the exhaust ad put the end of the tube in there

drive and wait for the exhaust to get hot...

or just by a flame thrower kit to go with your Bee*R rev limiter...

when can we get a section on these forums for "p platers dumb ideas bin"

I find it hard to believe you dont want to race at the lights so people can hear your car sounding like a spark plug is being chewed up in your motor....

You also admitted you are a douche as you still want the sounds even though they are pointless for performance and more damaging then anything else...

If you want a show at the lights do the following:

tap into your fuel line and t off it so a small amount of fuel will come out of a thin tube...

drill a small hole about a foot away from the tip of the exhaust ad put the end of the tube in there

drive and wait for the exhaust to get hot...

or just by a flame thrower kit to go with your Bee*R rev limiter...

when can we get a section on these forums for "p platers dumb ideas bin"

No doubt there is a lot of Douchebaggery from the OP on this 1.Be careful on the advise you just gave him, he might actually try it and turn his car into a giant petrol flame ball.

yeah, it is a 3.5" cat back exhaust system. it's loud as it is, but i really wanted the gun shot sound that come when u hit the rev limiter on the bee-r.

and is there any other way to get that sound out of the car or sparks out the back without a limiter? or with one and just not cause that much damage?

is it really that bad for the engine? andd if i was to put it on, would it work on a NA?

(i get it sounds like a heaps douchy thing to just want sound out of it, but im not the type to race it from light to light either, so i was just lookin for ways like this to mod it...sound mainly)

no one would have a 3.5" exhaust on a NA and want a rev limiter that makes loud bangs unless they were into illegal driving behaviour. my first advice is to scrap the 3.5" exhaust and put a 2.5" exhaust on it. unless you have a v8 in it with a serious amount of work done to it, then you won't even come close to needing the 3.5" exhaust, and in the lower rev range you are probably losing a considerable amount of power compared to a stock exhaust. all you will be doing is damaging the image of skyline owners and asking to be pulled over by the police. same goes for the rev limiter. you are asking to be reamed by the cops, as well as damage your car. there is no way to get the popping sound without putting undue stress on engine components. that said, it isn't even worth putting one on a turbo car.

No doubt there is a lot of Douchebaggery from the OP on this 1.Be careful on the advise you just gave him, he might actually try it and turn his car into a giant petrol flame ball.

regardless of my comments, im sure in about 2 months time a thread will pop up saying "Help! ive blown up my exhaust and/or motor - now what?"

And im quite sure we are safe from his car turning into a fireball... clearly he has no idea - wanting a rev limiter for "Noise" and he has an exhaust suitable for a truck...

regardless of my comments, im sure in about 2 months time a thread will pop up saying "Help! ive blown up my exhaust and/or motor - now what?"

And im quite sure we are safe from his car turning into a fireball... clearly he has no idea - wanting a rev limiter for "Noise" and he has an exhaust suitable for a truck...

lolll...nice to know everyone heres so welcoming and inviting.

I was just asking a simple question, yeah i get that most of the people here dont want mods that dont help performance, but im sure there are a lotta people that just look for the cosmetic/sound appeal of the car.

It's got a 5" tip with a 3.5" catback system. we all know it doesn't do much to the performance, but then again, we all know that any other v6 would probably take a stock NA straight 6 skyline, a camry prolly would... I have the car for looks more than anything else, and i was wondering if there was any thing i could add to it, to give it a more attention grabbing sound e.g the limiter.

heck, if it was up to me, i'd put a straight pipe on it n cut off the tip all together.

Edited by hop1308

lolll...nice to know everyone heres so welcoming and inviting.

I was just asking a simple question, yeah i get that most of the people here dont want mods that dont help performance, but im sure there are a lotta people that just look for the cosmetic/sound appeal of the car.

It's got a 5" tip with a 3.5" catback system. we all know it doesn't do much to the performance, but then again, we all know that any other v6 would probably take a stock NA straight 6 skyline, a camry prolly would... I have the car for looks more than anything else, and i was wondering if there was any thing i could add to it, to give it a more attention grabbing sound e.g the limiter.

heck, if it was up to me, i'd put a straight pipe on it n cut off the tip all together.

I will commend you on something mate, you take criticism well.... most people that come on here asking this stuff normally get these sort of reactions because we have heard it before and dont want another idiot skyline driver giving us a bad name. therefore it is always easy to give a little bit of sh*t stirring and they get all huffy and upset and never post up crap again and normally say they f*cked whoevers mother etc...

so well done on that and Im not meaning that sarcastically.

Its your car mate your more then welcome to do whatever you want to it, dont let us deter you - we can only give our opinions on the situation. I will say one last thing about this though...

The opinions on here are not just limited to the net, they are our opinions on the road as well, so if we think this stuff on here, it is the same on the road. so it is a stupid and pointless mod to do and most people on the road will think the same too, but if thats what makes you happy and YOU want it, then by all means enjoy.

Adam

i agree with adam, you take criticism really well.

look the limiter will get peoples attention alright, but a majority of the attention you get will people thinking you are a moron, or from the police who promptly fine you and possibly defect your car, meaning that you have to put it all back to stock to get the defects cleared. it also damages the image of skyline owners and makes more people think of us as hoons, and in turn increases the amount of attention that the innocent skyline drivers get from police.

3.5" on an N/A haha oh dear, you do realise that you're probably robbing the engine of power too right?

but yeah we're trying to save you from yourself, in addition to keeping SAU an idiot free zone, so you'd be doing well to take said advice on board, just dont make another thread if you do it anyway n break it lol

haha, reading through this you all seem like massive assholes.

For starters, its going to do the same damage to an N/A motor/exhaust as it would to a turbo motor and exhaust. And hektic drifters do it all the time for the ‘lols’; I see this as exactly the same (regardless of power/performance).

It’s stupid in them and its stupid in this, BUT if its your thing then who cares, go for it. There is nothing stopping you from doing it, a standard one that people use on turbo 'drift cars' will work fine, you'll just have to drop a few rpm on stock ecu (obviously cant have it at the same point as your fuel-cut limiter). Yes its illegal, so I’d recommend leaving it switched off on the street but you will also have to decat your car or it won’t work (and would f**k your cat anyway) which kills puppies but does give a bit of a performance gain.

It's not likely going to hurt your motor any more than bouncing off the limiter otherwise would, the main thing it hurts is everything after your engine - aka in your exhaust (cat/o2/mufflers/gaskets)

You already have a huge exhaust, and if you get an ignition-limiter, then like a champ you should fit a small wet shot of nitrous to your car for track use as it'd be setup ready for it. (Heaps of people blow up cars on nitrous by driving past fuel-cut rev limiters and leaning out)

mate as a lot of people have said on here is you can do whatever you want to your car, because its your car. There has been some good advice shelled out here mate. First thing to do is sell the 3.5" exhaust to someone with a turbo and use that $$ to get yourself a nice 2.5" system which will give you a better exhaust note as well as more power.

If you love the car for what it is then by all means you wont be thinking about hurting your car would you ????

thanks for the help SKiT. but yeah looks like there'll need to be a lot of mods for that one mod, the pocket isnt too deep for me right now.

and about the 3.5 - the 2.5 system, again, its a NA, so im not looking for big gains. the sound is what appeals to me, and the 3.5 is a lot louder than 2.5 and 2.25's i've seen around. i can guarantee that my skylines one of the loudest NA r33 around, its got modded extractors, manifold and a catback system.

i was under the impression before that all it needs is a rev limiter installed and its ready to go, didn't think there'd be that much damage coming off it.