SAU Community

Garrett Medium Frame Gtx Turbos

SimonR32

One common theme I noted from the specs of these 3 GTX turbo's is that they run a slightly larger exducer than previous models, but run comparatively more inducer size....i.e. these 3 GTX turbos all have 58 trim comp wheels - up from 56 trim.

3071 model now also has a .6 comp cover - previously .5 comp cover

Edited by juggernaut1

For some reason when I log into turbobygarrett.com I can't see the GTX series in their catalogue. And the pics hosted on this thread won't open either???

But if Honeywell have stepped up a size on the inducer then it's no wonder they have shifted their maps over to the right and claim they will support higher outputs than the previous GT models.

Was there an update to the turbine specs that they are using, or just the compressor?

This is awesome news, i was just about to buy a new turbo. Thankfully I have been putting it off!

Plus i could not decide whether to get a 3071 or a 3076.... Now I will get get the GTX3071R for sure :D

ATP .

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release111110.html

Note the compressor housing A/R's , 71R 0.60/76R 0.70/82R Port Shrouded 0.70 A/R .

Without seeing pics my guess is 71R T04E 0.60 A/R , 76R T04S 0.70 A/R Port shrouded , 82R T04S 0.70 A/R Port Shrouded .

Garrett do make a 0.70 A/R T04E housing but its a weirdly shaped casting .

AFAIK the GT40 series comp housings have not been used on Garrett's smaller frame BB turbos .

A .

Edited by discopotato03

For those who arent sure how to plot compressor maps I have done a quick point to point on the GTX3071R.

This is for a 2.5L motor @ 90% VE

Boost shown on the map is 1.5 Bar

For interests sake I also checked the figures at 101% (to push it to its extreme), 3000rpm became 22lb and 8000 became 54lb.

All in all I would say this is an excellent turbo for the 2.5 >_<

post-43588-1289901134_thumb.jpg