SAU Community

Garrett Medium Frame Gtx Turbos

SimonR32

I wonder how one of these 3071's would go on an RB20? Could it be a viable option or is just going to be lag city?

The 20 is a good motor, its not the lag house everyone talks it down to be IMHO. Yet I would probably think the 3071 will not suit it, being the GT30 turbine it will need some gasflow to bring up shaft speeds for good boost response.

Probably try a 2871 for a happier street turbo on the RB20 :rofl: or a TD05/06, it all depends on desired results.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone no if garrett will be releasing these for the 2860-5?? im looking at buying a set for my gtr but if they goin to release a better version within the next few months ill just wait.

Oh also yeah as Deano and Ash said, im in the same boat waiting to see if they come out or not.

Prices for normal 5's will be interesting if an X wheel comes out...

Oh also yeah as Deano and Ash said, im in the same boat waiting to see if they come out or not.

Prices for normal 5's will be interesting if an X wheel comes out...

yea thats the only reason i havnt really started hunting for -5. of the GTX wheels come out, the normal -5 will be worth nothing, and thats prob a good reason why garrett wont release them....

lol jezza im keen to see it

That's true, there heaps of places to get the norm -5s and i havnt brought a pair, but if the gtx version came out tomorrow I'd go buy a pair straight away. So your right there ash

No official statement... however they are not on the cards for GT28 frame at present in terms of imminent release.

Apparently it took 12-18 months for them to go from GTX4X down to the GTX3X frame.

So perhaps 12 months again.

IMO they will see heaps of sales in the GTX3X frame, so it might spur some more/new product.

Wait and see i guess.

ill keep asking some other people, see what happens.

No official statement... however they are not on the cards for GT28 frame at present in terms of imminent release.

Apparently it took 12-18 months for them to go from GTX4X down to the GTX3X frame.

So perhaps 12 months again.

IMO they will see heaps of sales in the GTX3X frame, so it might spur some more/new product.

Wait and see i guess.

ill keep asking some other people, see what happens.

Ggrrrrraaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh... :)

I want more response damnit. gtx2871r + e85 would be my setup IF the gtx28 ever comes out.. perfect opportunity to swap to e85 with a new turbo ;)

My gut feeling - they will. They did the GTX4X last year, and now the 3X frame

It'll just take a while to filter. Cant mass release a heaps of products @ once due to manufacturing and also the illusion of "progression" over 3-6 years when you had the design 18months in ;)

Yea, I was about to start saving for a new car as i'm a bit over the turbo lag on my R33 GTS-T with KKR 560 and wouldn't mind a newer car.... However, GTX3071 could be enough to change all that :thumbsup:

If i've already got injectors/front mount/z32/fuel pump/power fc/locked diff, do you think theres anything else i should invest in while getting a GTX3071, like a forward facing plenum or exhaust cam gears, a new manifold or poncams or anything? Just in a value-for-money reduce lag kinda way?

EDIT: This seems to be the only GTX3071 with T3 and Internal wastegate i can find. Do I just use the stock RB25 style dump pipe or is that a different 5 bolt design? Am I crazy choosing this over spending heaps more to go external gate?

Edited by islade

If i've already got injectors/front mount/z32/fuel pump/power fc/locked diff, do you think theres anything else i should invest in while getting a GTX3071, like a forward facing plenum or exhaust cam gears, a new manifold or poncams or anything? Just in a value-for-money reduce lag kinda way?

Value for money get the turbo with an internal gate .82 turbine housing, get an exhaust cam gear and get it retuned. You will need a line kit, intake and cooler pipping modded and a completely new dump pipe.

GCG have given me a rough price of $2200 for the GTX with rear housing. You can then get your mechanic to make you the dump/cooler/intake pipes and buy a RB/Garrett BB line kit from Kinugawa on ebay. The line kit is about $100 and I anticipate you will need to spend roughly 800 making the dump and other associated pipes. GCG also sell gates cam gears for something like $100 each and tuning will be up to your tuner.

if you really want to go the whole hog you should look to a 6boob style manifold and budget for another $2500ish.

GL