SAU Community

Garrett Medium Frame Gtx Turbos

SimonR32

To add to that, I'm warming to the GTX3584RS - it looks like the 1.22 housing is enough, and as I suggested the other day it looked like the 1.01 may not be too bad for what you're looking for either.  Looking forward to seeing results!

• Like 1

Yep agree with you on all counts mate ?? Your calculations match what I come with each time I've run the numbers on the GTX3584RS and the others you listed. 
Garrett actually quote between 9.5 & 10.5 hp per lbs/min. But I have wondered if that's a conservative estimate with the newer generation options. 

It will be interesting to see how the 1.21 housing goes power vs response on a 3-4L six. Won't have to wait long as there's a couple of local 2JZ builds coming online reasonable soon.

In other news...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

All three, at least in comparison to the Gen 1 GTX3582.
Blade pitch and profile has changed, especially the leading and trailing edge, and 9 blade vs 10 of the Gen 1 (correct me if I'm wrong) The blades are noticeably thinner at the blade root.
I'm far from an expert (my background is more jet engine based) but it appears the Garrett /Honeywell R&D focused on reducing mass to improve or maintain spool whilst altering the blade profile to achieve the claimed additional flow.

• Like 1

Ha-ha. It was the best I could come up with at the time. The plug was sitting on the desk... I thought 'yeah most people have a rough idea of the size of a NGK plug box'.  

A mate that is pretty handy at building modified turbocharged engines had a look at the turbine and noted they've reduced the material in the webbing between the blades and moved the bulk of the blade towards the centre in an effort to reduce rotational mass.   

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, whatsisname said:

ETS hold the R35 drag ET world record (7.09 @ 209). Hopefully the GTX3584RS car runs some numbers at the drag strip to back up the dyno figure

That should read 7.01 @ 209

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so far relatively impressed with the Gen2 GTX3582R, met a lad with one on his fresh RB26 build at a track day I was at on Monday - running a 1.01a/r twin scroll T3 hotside on BP98.  I don't have much info on it, but I did see a dyno plot at the track and it was near 200kw by 4000rpm and made 460kw @ rear hubs (I'd call that around 410rwkw if you can't understand hub dynos) on 21psi.  It had a beautiful power curve for that level, with peak coming in at just after 7000rpm but holding >450kw all the way up to the 8000rpm they ran it to.

It seems like Garrett may have managed to go to a 66mm inducer without sacrificing too much in the way of response, and clearly have managed to do very good things for flow.  The car had quite a happy wee anti-surge whistle too, a bit less low-key than the Gen1 GTX - I have a soft spot for that noise so a good thing in my books haha.  

Edited by Lithium
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lithium said:

I'm so far relatively impressed with the Gen2 GTX3582R, met a lad with one on his fresh RB26 build at a track day I was at on Monday - running a 1.01a/r twin scroll T3 hotside on BP98.  I don't have much info on it, but I did see a dyno plot at the track and it was near 200kw by 4000rpm and made 460kw @ rear hubs (I'd call that around 410rwkw if you can't understand hub dynos) on 21psi.  It had a beautiful power curve for that level, with peak coming in at just after 7000rpm but holding >450kw all the way up to the 8000rpm they ran it to.

It seems like Garrett may have managed to go to a 66mm inducer without sacrificing too much in the way of response, and clearly have managed to do very good things for flow.  The car had quite a happy wee anti-surge whistle too, a bit less low-key than the Gen1 GTX - I have a soft spot for that noise so a good thing in my books haha.  

Nice been eager on results.

200rwkw by 4,000rpm is unheard of in a 35xx turbo. normally ud see that in a gtx3071/3076

Pat aka Rekin should also have results from a Gen 2 GTX3071 internal gate on a Rb25neo in the coming months

On 2/1/2017 at 8:30 AM, blah_blah said:

Nice been eager on results.

200rwkw by 4,000rpm is unheard of in a 35xx turbo. normally ud see that in a gtx3071/3076

Pat aka Rekin should also have results from a Gen 2 GTX3071 internal gate on a Rb25neo in the coming months

Copy+Paste from my Build thread: 

I am proud to share my latest purchase from GCG Turbochargers - A Garrett GTX3071r Gen2 T3 internal wastegate 0.82 low-mount RB setup.
With the GenII only released 3 months ago this is the first low-mount RB setup to pass through GCG Turbochargers & onto me :D

Big shout-out to GCG Turbochargers for responding to my endless FB messages after hours & helping me choose the right setup for my application.
Not only that, but the turn-around from Order to Dispatch was a matter of weeks when other distributors were quoting 3 month lead-times.
In addition,with GCG Turbochargers expertise in building turbos, they added a few extra tweaks to the build to aid boost control & overall flow.

GCG Turbochargers supplied in a RB25 low-mount kit; with all gaskets, bolts, studs, manifold spacer, braided lines, actuator, extra cheese - hold the mayo.
And to top it off, they been kind enough to send through some build photos :D

16491449_1261916157207078_627300090_o.jpg

16466696_1261915563873804_1715842685_o.jpg

16465988_1261915997207094_565881718_o.jpg

• Like 2

+1, will be very interested to see how it performs in practice.  This is potentially a REALLY good choice for an RB25, especially if you have some other nice supporting tweaks to the car :)   What supporting mods, and fuel will it have?

+1, will be very interested to see how it performs in practice.  This is potentially a REALLY good choice for an RB25, especially if you have some other nice supporting tweaks to the car [emoji4]   What supporting mods, and fuel will it have?

Forged rebuilt Neo engine with an e85 setup - is the plan!

16 hours ago, MattSR said:

So, does anyone have any results from a single GT3584RS on an RB26 yet?

I wouldn't hold my breath, @whatsisname is one of only about 3/4 people I've seen any indication of using one for ANY car in the world right now and he has been really quiet so it's hard to know how long his build will be, this kind of thing often can take ages from the point the turbo arrives but will let him comment when he shows up :)   

It's very early days from the turbo release and Borg Warner and Precision turbos are ultimately more known and desired in a lot of ways - and the Garrett is actually the more expensive option to a degree so they may not become very popular unless the results come out well.  I have to say, I'm pretty impressed by the Gen2 GTX3582R which has a 66/82 compressor instead of 67/84.... as it turns out @whatsisname's decision to take an early punt could pay off as on paper it looks like his setup could be one of the perfect matches to what it wants, so potentially could make for a very good result.

• Like 1