SAU Community

Garrett Medium Frame Gtx Turbos

SimonR32

On ‎1‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, Lithium said:

I'm so far relatively impressed with the Gen2 GTX3582R, met a lad with one on his fresh RB26 build at a track day I was at on Monday - running a 1.01a/r twin scroll T3 hotside on BP98.  I don't have much info on it, but I did see a dyno plot at the track and it was near 200kw by 4000rpm and made 460kw @ rear hubs (I'd call that around 410rwkw if you can't understand hub dynos) on 21psi.  It had a beautiful power curve for that level, with peak coming in at just after 7000rpm but holding >450kw all the way up to the 8000rpm they ran it to.

It seems like Garrett may have managed to go to a 66mm inducer without sacrificing too much in the way of response, and clearly have managed to do very good things for flow.  The car had quite a happy wee anti-surge whistle too, a bit less low-key than the Gen1 GTX - I have a soft spot for that noise so a good thing in my books haha.  

Thanks for the info', Lith. Good to see more results from the Gen2 GTX range popping up - a very positive result too. Approximately 410kW at the wheels on a roller dyno running 'only' 21psi and BP98 is a solid result. 

I was chatting to a guy in WA via FB yesterday afternoon about his 1.5JZ + GTX3584RS with 0.83 housing. His combo currently produces 447kW at 27psi through a build auto with 3,000rpm stall. I expect it would make a fair bit more via a 5sp manual.     

I saw a recent FB post regarding an RB26 + GTX3584RS fitted to a blue R34 track car in WA. The combination makes 650hp. The only details I could find on this set-up unfortunately. I assume it's a wheel horsepower figure.

My turbine housing is back from ceramic coating and the compressor housing has been polished. I'm hoping to have the housings refitted and ready to bolt it all on in the next week or two.

I've been away with work (beyond network coverage range at times) in recent weeks and extremely busy. Hence the lack of updates of late.

20 minutes ago, whatsisname said:

Update:
The blue R34 is running E85, 0.84 housing, 24psi, and currently produces peak boost at 4800rpm. The owner has plans to bring boost on earlier with cam timing adjustment.

Guessing that meant .83?   4800rpm sounds realistic for stock stroke and 24psi,  not bad given the flow potential tbh... be interesting to know more.  At that rate it'd be very usable on a 3litre :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lithium said:

Guessing that meant .83?   4800rpm sounds realistic for stock stroke and 24psi,  not bad given the flow potential tbh... be interesting to know more.  At that rate it'd be very usable on a 3litre :)

I assume so - the owner wrote .84 but probably just a fat fingers moment. I'm hoping to discuss our respective combo's in a further detail.

Mate, I cannot wait to find out for myself! I'm away again for most of the remainder of this week. Then it's Round 1 of the SA IPRA championship. Probably away again after that. Then we're racing at Clipsal. It is a hectic schedule. But hopefully we can squeeze my turbo upgrade in there somewhere.   

I can confirm the WA based R34 I mentioned earlier currently produces 650hp at the rears.

RB26 with GTX3584RS .83 making 485kW at the rear wheels running E85 on 24psi boost. Currently produces peak boost at 4800rpm but expecting this to improve via cam timing adjustments and further tuning.

Combo' has more in it but power capped due to concerns over gearbox longevity - it's a track car.

As do I. I'm guessing it may end up closer to 4500-4600rpm once sorted. Twin scroll would obviously be even better.

I'm hoping my RB25/30 with the larger 1.01 will see full boost by around 4000-4500rpm.

3 hours ago, whatsisname said:

I can confirm the WA based R34 I mentioned earlier currently produces 650hp at the rears.

RB26 with GTX3584RS .83 making 485kW at the rear wheels running E85 on 24psi boost. Currently produces peak boost at 4800rpm but expecting this to improve via cam timing adjustments and further tuning.

Combo' has more in it but power capped due to concerns over gearbox longevity - it's a track car.

Did he say which shop's dyno this was on?

Garrett have not developed a twin scroll option (as yet) but I believe ATP were planning to offer suitable twin scroll housings.  

Edit: ATP do indeed. Only available in 1.01 A/R.

It's basically a modified GT/GTX35 housing. I assume any T3 GT/GTX35 housing can be modified to suit the GTX3584RS. The incompatibility warning from Garrett is aimed at existing GT/GTX owners looking to upgrade their current turbo to the RS. Off-the-shelf they aren't reverse compatible. But nothing stopping people from having housings modified to fit.       

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
Garrett T3 Twinscroll turbine housing in Ni-Resist material; for GT35, GTX35, and GEN2 GTX35 series turbochargers. The turbine housing is 1.01 A/R and 3-inch Garrett GT V-Band outlet.

** Available for the Garrett GTX3584RS. Choose the required alternate fitment option **

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-HSG-210&Category_Code=GTH

ATP-HSG-210_450-1.jpg

14 hours ago, whatsisname said:

Okay, so we've managed to set aside a few days before Clipsal to fit and tune the new turbo. If all goes roughly to plan, should have it on the dyno in two weeks.

Awesome, keen to see how it goes - good luck :)

Just as a reminder, you are on a 3litre, still VCT and some kind of drop in cams?  You have gone the 1.01 T3 hotside?