SAU Community

Garrett Medium Frame Gtx Turbos

SimonR32

Just saw a post on Facebook of another 25T with one of these going on a 25/30 backed up against an auto - should be a couple running around at least in the near future.

Any progress with yours?

• Like 1

Keep me posted with how that one goes, mate.

Mine is about a week or two away... manifold flange change is done (T3 to v-band) off for ceramic coating tomorrow or Mon.
IMG_7671.JPG

Going to switch from a Sard to Turbosmart FPR1200, may need bigger injectors too. CDI is another 'possible' requirement.

Will also install and configure the Racelogic TC system.

IMG_7630.JPGIMG_7625.JPGIMG_7631.JPG

Previous turbo set-up (up until earlier today) and a few random shots. IMG_7638.JPGIMG_7622.JPG

I think I may have developed a thing for titanium fasteners. $400 and counting so far, fancy blue M10x1.25 strut tops nuts included.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nice power!!! Definitely in the range we had talked about earlier.

Why no rpm graph?  Hard to tell what spool would be like but the graph makes it look like it could be later than I expected.   Any reason it was stopped at 26psi?

I got gtx3582 gen2 0.83 a/r ts t3 in r34gtr dyno on 4th gear.

Also plumb back 3.5 inch exhaust.

made 650awhp(480kw) @28psi. 

Response not that good on the graph but I still have 3500rpm power band, and tuner did not touch the cam gear yet. hope I can get better response after adjust the cam gear.

I feel not laggy on road.  But definitely  laggy than my old gtx3576.

With 1.01 a/r rear housing and more boost it should be over 750hp on all 4.

IMG_2128.thumb.JPG.cb8e698b91f95e282cac2c2ab7dd43f5.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lithium said:

Nice power!!! Definitely in the range we had talked about earlier.

Why no rpm graph?  Hard to tell what spool would be like but the graph makes it look like it could be later than I expected.   Any reason it was stopped at 26psi?

Cheers mate. Yeah made the power I was hoping it would. 

That was my stuff up, I forgot to ask Shaun to switch it across to RPM.  We are yet to switch to the 4-port Mac valve so hopefully further improvement in response to come. 

Shaun strongly suggested we leave it at 26psi for reliability and longevity. I wasn't going to argue with my engine builder and tuner. The same guy who will look after me if something goes wrong.. provided I follow his advice :14_relaxed:       

• Like 1

Makes sense, probably could have gone a bit smaller if you weren't after full effort though.

When do you get to drive it?  Did you get any impression from the dyno or real world what the spool is like?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whatsisname said:

True, although this way there's potential for gains down the track.

I'm hopeful we can improve response. Yet to drive it as there's still a few things to do.

Hi mate do you know what the size of your turbo's vband inlet size?

13 hours ago, whatsisname said:

True, although this way there's potential for gains down the track.

I'm hopeful we can improve response. Yet to drive it as there's still a few things to do.

Cool, Good luck!  Cheers for updating with results, if it can make 525kw on 26psi or so the hotside isn't too shabby.  Would be very interesting to know what they can do on kill and what the boost threshold is like, if they aren't too much laggier than the 3582 then they would be a really good thing 

• Like 1

Cool, Good luck!  Cheers for updating with results, if it can make 525kw on 26psi or so the hotside isn't too shabby.  Would be very interesting to know what they can do on kill and what the boost threshold is like, if they aren't too much laggier than the 3582 then they would be a really good thing 

Thanks mate. No problem at all, always happy to share my experiences, good or bad.   I am confident we can improve the boost curve to get it coming on harder and therefore area under the curve.

Some further info from the dyno session on Wednesday evening; Shaun spent the first 10mins adjusting base pressure and checking the fuel mixtures, as we'd switched from a Sard FPR to new TS FPR1200. Once A/FRs were optimised he did a power run. 421kW at 10psi creeping to 19-20psi. After a quick change of wastegate line configuration and boost control adjustments the second run produced 463kW at about 24psi. At about this point I started getting concerned it wasn't going to produce the goods!  

The next run, with boost set at 25psi, resulted in 488.6kW. Shaun could obviously see the early signs of disappointment starting to show on my face and said to me 'don't give up on me yet mate!' accompanied by a grin. The next run, it made 499.2kW. The gains were all coming from adding timing. GTX3584RS was continuing to make gains where the old FP GT3586R had nosed over at 25-26psi and extra boost and timing simply didn't make any extra power.

Run after run it kept climbing, 503.3, 507.7, 513.X, 525.3kW

I am confident it would keep making gains with additional boost provided the engine doesn't hit a restriction somewhere. 560-580kW at 30-32psi would be my guess. 600 is a possibility with a decent head/cams set-up and everything else optimised and set to kill.

Down the track at some stage I will get to find out.  

There are literally no other engine changes from when it had the 3586. Same everything bar a switch from T3 flange to v-band flange on the exhaust manifold - but same manifold. Same dump, same intake etc.

It is as close to a back-to-back as we could get.

I'm guessing hotside.

• Like 1

That is quite interesting!  What about the spool difference?   Do you know what rpm it's reaching 20psi by?  What was it before?

As soon as I get a chance I'll get Shaun to overlay the two runs. It's laggier, as I expected. Plus it isn't coming on as hard with the current boost control and w/gate set-up.
  • Like 1