SAU Community

A Must Read For Budding Tuners, Or Those Interested In "knock"

STATUS

I found on my gtr apexi djetro on a low load ping read about 20. I occasionally still get over 100 on crank I presume from starter motor mesh? The base ignition map has a lot of low load advance. After some fiddling now I never get more than 12. Reset max timing to no more than 32 (was 48) and varified number with timing light. Bp98 always used.

I've heard plenty of RB engine's ping at low rpm high load and the knock sensor hasn't reacted, thats tuning with either PFC or factory ECU. I wouldn't recommend tuning based off feedback from the OEM knock sensor, use it only as a guide along with a proper chassis ear and good understanding of what an engine does when it is detonating.

I've heard plenty of RB engine's ping at low rpm high load and the knock sensor hasn't reacted, thats tuning with either PFC or factory Ecu

Rebuilt engines with power FC?

I've heard plenty of RB engine's ping at low rpm high load and the knock sensor hasn't reacted, thats tuning with either PFC or factory ECU. I wouldn't recommend tuning based off feedback from the OEM knock sensor, use it only as a guide along with a proper chassis ear and good understanding of what an engine does when it is detonating.

^^ Spot on, definitely the best advice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

The two better tuners locally to me both use 'knock box'.

What hardware are you guys going to? Phormula?

CHeers

Justin

• 4 months later...

Ive been using this system for awhile now. But havent seen much press on it.

but today i came across this great spiel on it from high performance academy..

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The two better tuners locally to me both use 'knock box'.

What hardware are you guys going to? Phormula?

CHeers

Justin

Justin, ive found the knock box to be the most reliable as a full time tuning option as it can be quickly swapped fom engine to engine easily.

The PLEX unit is awesome but is actually painful to use. It takes a long time to set up to get the same accuracy as the knock box, therefore we only use the PLEX system on big budget big HP setups where the customer is happy to pay for the extra time.

• 7 months later...

Those are great samples, thanks Trent. Sounds like very heavy det too, nasty. Would be interesting to hear varying levels of knock starting with very mild.. eg start from knock-free baseline and then adding 2 degrees in timing every 5 seconds and then train yourself to listen for light knocking as well.

• 2 years later...

On another forum they are saying that if you use ~original at the end of the link then it works again Trent.  I haven't tried it but several have vouched that it works.

But Photobucket will probably end up closing that loophole eventually as well.

On another forum that I frequent, Street Triple, I informed the admin guys of a workaround for the Photobucket ransom demand.
The dodge was to place the string ~original after .jpg in the Photobucket URL.
Using that, they were able to download all the pictures.
They then modified all threads that used Photobucket links to point to the downloaded pictures that were now stored on their server.
The resulting pictures are stored in a gallery, which is now used instead of Photobucket.
Kudos to that site's admin people.

• 2 months later...

All the embedded photos are with photobucket, due to a recent owner change they have decided to charge for hosting (399 usd a year)

if you use CHROME this work around will allow you to view allthe missing images.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj?hl=en

https://github.com/kzahel/photobucket-embed-fix