SAU Community

Timing Belt Skipping Teeth

Jden

Hey Guys,

Firstly abit of background on whats going on, I have my new wrecker RB20 on the stand and I am trying to change the timing belt.

In the process I have also installed adjustable cam gears and new tensioner & idler bearings.

My problem is that I can get the belt on fine and all the timing marks line up but when I turn the engine over a few times and try and bring it back to TDC the belt is always 3 teeth out?

I have pulled the belt on and off about 3 times but every time its 3 teeth out.

I'm not really sure whats going on? Is it something to do with the belt tension or maybe the cam gears are on wrong?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Pics attached.

post-36870-1290310270_thumb.jpg

post-36870-1290310279_thumb.jpg

post-36870-1290310287_thumb.jpg

The marks on the timing belt are irrelevant. The only marks you need to concern yourself with are the ones on the gears / pullies.

+1, the timing belts are only there for installation assistance. As long as the cam and crank pulleys line up with their marks you'll be fine. as soon as you turn the belt through even one revolution the belt marks won't line up with the marks on the pulleys. Even if there is an arrow on the belt it is only to help with the installation. But if you ever need to remove a timing belt make sure you install it to go back in the same direction as the teeth will have worn etc so you need it to all match up afterwards.