SAU Community

Quickspool Valve.

boostin31

I stumbled upon these whilst looking for cheap shit in america.

http://www.spracingonline.com/projects/%E2...e/3643%E2%80%9D

<h1 class="store">PRODUCTS > Sound Performance Quick Spool Valve</h1> We are pleased to bring you a revolutionary product for aftermarket turbo kits! We have created a product that had a 25% increase in rear wheel horsepower, while reducing unwanted turbo lag! It\'s like nitrous but you\'ll never have to fill a bottle again.

The Quick Spool Valve has a butterfly valve blocking a scroll of the divided turbo housing making the turbo act as if it were a smaller turbo.The switching solenoid can be wired up to open at a set point and when the valve opens up you have the full potential of your turbo with no sacrifice of peak power

Our Quick Spool Valve is available in T3, T4, and even T6 sizes.

*** Notes:

You will need the following in order for this valve to work

- Undivided exhaust manifold

- Divided exhaust housing on your turbo

*** You will need either a switching valve only if using a standalone to control the valve.

Otherwise you can use a hobbs switch with the switching valve if not using a standalone.

The Quick Spool Valve thickness is 3/4\" so this is going to require either modification to the exhaust manifold or the downpipe to compensate for the height increase of 3/4\". The valve sits between your turbo exhaust housing and the exhaust manifold.

3643.jpg

36434.jpg

Video of it in use on a supra.

Has quite a noticeably reduced spool time in the second clip, and seems like a very good idea in theory.

Anyone heard/used one of these valves before?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why would it increase power and shift the power band?

if there was any logic behind it, it should only decrease lag time

i see no reason it would add power, shift the power band or do any other such "benefits"

its having a true twin scroll, then making it dynamic based on pressure

ie pointless it sounds like?

the purpose of twin scroll is to have the cylinders split to match the firing order

imagine putting this on an evo and expecting more power, shift the power band and less lag

i think all it would likely do is kill the response (make it worse)

why would it increase power and shift the power band?

if there was any logic behind it, it should only decrease lag time

i see no reason it would add power, shift the power band or do any other such "benefits"

its having a true twin scroll, then making it dynamic based on pressure

ie pointless it sounds like?

the purpose of twin scroll is to have the cylinders split to match the firing order

imagine putting this on an evo and expecting more power, shift the power band and less lag

i think all it would likely do is kill the response (make it worse)

in theory it would bring boost on much quicker in the same way a VATN turbo would. which would give a massive increase in midrange torque and power which is what that graphs pointing out. peak power would remain the same, if not slightly worse.

in practice tho it requires a twin scroll turbo on a single scroll manifold, which isnt going to be ideal.

its been covered a few times on here

to me it just sounds like the exact of what twin scroll was designed to do

Without actually dividing the runners and creating a large restriction on one side that appears like it would be very turbulent getting gasses out.

On then bright side it helps to show the benefit of maintaining smaller runners to keep velocity up to bring turbines to life earlier.

I see how it could make power earlier but I don't see how this can make more power with a restriction of the divider and butterfly in the way.

it doesnt make more peak power, it makes more midrange power. that example graph is a bit extreme but you can see the top end is the same, the quickpool simply brings the gt45 on a bit earlier, giving it more midrange.

paul, its almost the exact opposite of twin scroll. instead of dividing the pulses it divides the turbine housing in half, only using one scroll for all cylinders until full boost is reaches, which increases the speed of the gas before it hits the turbine

The idea is to use a non-divided manifold with a divided rear housing.

The idea requires the use of a non-divided manifold with a divided rear housing but the idea is to only use one side of the divided rear housing to spool the turbo up quicker up to a point where you allow both sides of the divided rear housing to flow to enable same top end.

Yup. It Pretty much halves the size of the rear housing, so if your running a .82 rear while the valve is closed its reducing the size of the housing to a .41 (or there abouts) promoting much faster spool times.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=45148.0

These guys had the same idea back in 2005, but with out the valve setup they just blocked one half of the divided housing off with a plate. Got some pretty good results.

I can see it working all that well, yes it may halve the turbine housing, but it also halves the area the exhaust gas can use to turn the turbine wheel, so instead of the whole turbine wheel being used, only half is.

When the valve opens the resulting pressure drop would cause a big dip in the power curve, ala TT supra or Liberty B4

Mazda tried it on the S4 RX7 and then Dropped it on the S5 12 months later.

What Zebra said!!!

Force= Pressure x Area

so in this case we double the pressure but halve the area

Force = (Pressure x2) x (Area /2)

= Pressure x Area

So technically there is no gain at all, the only way it could have a potentially give gains is if hitting the different part of the turbine blade with more pressure would be more efficient.

Hope that made sense! haha

So yeah, anyone saying oh this company did it and made good gains...well of course they are going to tell you it will make peak boost 100000rpm earlier would be pretty senseless tryng to sell something when you are telling them it makes no diference.

Those dyno charts...was anyone there to see or did they pump in a few degrees more timing, or use a different gear or use different tyres, or turn the boost up etc etc.

My issue is in a true twin scroll twin gate car there would be nowhere for that gas to go when the valve is closed.

For this to work you would need the gas to be capable of venting to the opposite side, which normally would only be by the wastegate port if you have a single gate twin scroll setup. I see NO benefit to this on an open housing nor it even being possible from a performance point of view.

In twin scroll form this would only really work in a dud of a manifold to belin with. A manifold with combined ports and a balance pipe maybe.

I would really want to see more, I smell BS and Im not even a farmer.

My issue is in a true twin scroll twin gate car there would be nowhere for that gas to go when the valve is closed.

For this to work you would need the gas to be capable of venting to the opposite side, which normally would only be by the wastegate port if you have a single gate twin scroll setup. I see NO benefit to this on an open housing nor it even being possible from a performance point of view.

In twin scroll form this would only really work in a dud of a manifold to belin with. A manifold with combined ports and a balance pipe maybe.

I would really want to see more, I smell BS and Im not even a farmer.

It's designed only to work with a twin scroll turbo on a open single scroll manifold... Thus making all your points invalid!

Edited by SimonR32

That would increase exhaust manifold pressure before turbo, but pressure would drop as soon as air travell through that valve. In theory it makes not affects. unless if the valve is directing combusted air to an more favorable spot of the turbine wheel which spinning it faster.

But lots of the pressure / flow engineering stuff makes no sense. Would be interested to see if any one could do a controlled run on a RB25det in Australia.