SAU Community

So...what's Left?

slinky-minky

Early today my 18 month old son tried taking my Skyline for a drive...he had a couple of problems, such as being too short to reach the peddles, can't see over the dash and he didn't have the keys, although very funny to watch and it got me thinking

"what will he be left with as a learners car?"

I can't have my son cruising around in some unsafe car that looks like the manufacturers puked it up after a night on the drink, and I started running through possible options in my mind

Skylines- R34's ceased production in '02. According to Wiki (Because I didn't know) R35 GT-R's are still in production however the R34 was considered the last of the 'real' Skylines. Now I have no intentions of opening up a can of worms, that's just what Wiki said.

Mitsubishi FTO's- Ceased production in 1999, last sale date of early 2000.

Supra- Ceased production in 2002.

Evo- Although Evo X's are still in production, and have been since 2007, I have seen 2 different stories so far about the EVO XI's. One magazine I read recently said they would be ceasing production of street legal Evo's after the X and they would return to rally only, another website said they're turning it into a Hybrid SUV. After looking at the prototype pictures, I pretty much spewed in my mouth < http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2013-Mitsubishi-Evo-XI.html >

So what's left? Where did all these awesome cars go that I used to dream about driving when I was a kid? The only one I can think of that's still cool is the WRX, even some of the more uncool options like the Integra type R & Toyota Celica ceased production in 2006,

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get what the OP is on about :/

You are worried about what your 18 month old son will be driving in 16 years time because you won't be able to buy a brand new R34, JZA80 Supra, FTO etc?

OP isn't about what my son will be cruising around in, I think perhaps I wasn't to direct in my post. (reading back over it, over half was rambling, that I'm going to take out cos I can see how it'd be confusing)

OP is about where all the nice cars are disappearing to??? It's just my son that got me thinking about it.

Why are they getting rid of decent cars and replacing them with hybrid cars that have no power or cars that are just totally ugly...what ever happened to the days of classy cars with sexy curves, and decent amounts of power, cars that had engineering genius....why the limited choices? I know that manufacturing companies only go with what the consumer say they want but I am so sick of seeing good cars being turned into SUV's or Hybrids, of worse still...BOTH!

How can they call this a Skyline of any type???

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...ossover_001.JPG

And yes I am aware they call it a Skyline/Infinity crossover

Edited by slinky-minky

there are still nice cars, with the help of technology...

but they are fwd if you can get past that stigma...

renault has something good.

ford has something good...

and things will get better in future, toyota/subaru's ft86...

hyundai's genesis coupe, all yummy..

and you've got to understand, you're driving a 10year old car, your son in future can prolly do the same.

if that SUV gets released as a skyline

then the skyline era has died

only the past will be left behind

32 33 34

and i agree with you there

all the new cars are looking bubly

they dont have their aggresive looks anymore,

such as the wrx classic, supra, skyline 2 3 4

There are still plenty of nice cars around which will drop in prices just like the 90's Imports did.

I think your just disappointed that they are not the 90's imports that we all love.

holden SS, Clubsports

G6e turbo's, typhoon even XR6 turbo (give that 5 more yrs and it will be the next VL turbo)

370Z

Audi S5

Mercedes and BMW have so real nice cars.

these cars won't be staying at 50,000-100,00o forever.

Ideally I don't think people are driving there cars as hard as they used to on the street and a lot of my mates are selling their imports for european cars that still have a bit of a bite and getting 7-10L/100km. (personally I think they are making huge upgrades)

ever think of maybe not using a sports car as a learners car?

Haha my thoughts exactly Hamish. I learnt in a '92 Ford Laser. At the time ANY car was awesome to drive in.

you forgot r31

And the other 6 models before that, Prince and Nissan alike. :rofl2:

Nothing wrong with V35 onwards. Take your blinkers off. :rofl2:

For the record...Just an example of something people would probably not call a "true skyline'.

1981-Nissan-Skyline-hatchback-2000-Turbo-GT-EX-RHR30.jpg

Don't give me that inline 6 purists bs, the FJ20 R30's were/are an awesome thing; so throw that lineage rubbish out the door.

OP: Funny you mentioned curves, I personally don't think 80's/90's skylines were about sexy lines, they were about aggressive angles brute force and ignorance. More manly than say an S chassis.

Your rant reminds me of old farts talking about 1960's cars and how they don't make them like they used to, which in turn made me chuckle :rofl2:

16 years from now, I think that today's Mazda2's etc will be the bomb first cars that kids are driving, but with the way in which manufacturers are heading I would not be suprised if kids were learning in hybrid's and nothing else.