SAU Community

1997 Ecr33 Hicas Light On After 10km Driving

matticus

Hey All,

I jsut had an alarm put in my car and now after 10km of driving the HICAS light will come on. It will go away after a key cycle but will come up every 10km.

I have checked with the installer but he doesnt have any idea why and i have check the obvious things: fluid level and fuses both of which were fine.

I have tried to put the HICAS in diagnostic mode but it will not work.

I know HICAS has been discussed to death but it seems no one gives any answers on how to fix the problem. I do have an adverse affects when the light comes on and the steering is as usual.

If anyone can shed some light on what i should do it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

remove hicas? lock bar...

mmm..probably not, i have this (probably unhealthy) obsession with keeping the car as close to origional as possible. :banana:

Would anyone on here know of someone who can diagnose the problem? im in SE suburbs in Melbourne.

have you got an aftermarket steering wheel? something has gone wrong if it wont go into diagnostic mode. Mine wouldnt do that when I had my boss kit on wrong. but the light only came on after driving over 80kmh for about 20 mins

have you got an aftermarket steering wheel? something has gone wrong if it wont go into diagnostic mode. Mine wouldnt do that when I had my boss kit on wrong. but the light only came on after driving over 80kmh for about 20 mins

nup, stock steering wheel.

I'm resetting my ecu today (letting battery run flat) with the wheels stright forward...I really dont know if it will do anything but I guess its worth a try.

HICAS out, you know you want to :)

Haha, you know I love my car too much for that :D.

I've tracked the problem down to the steering angle sensor (SAS).

NOTE: I drive a 1997 S2 ECR33. I do not know if the following is true for other Skylines.

There are two signal wired coming from the sensor, one LH and one RH.

When the wheel is turned the signal will gradually change from ~5.0V to ~0V on one of the signal wires (depending if you are turning left or right).

This change in voltage tells the HICAS controller which way the wheel is turning.

If after a set distance (10km) the HICAS controller does not detect a change in signal (steering input) then it will flag an issue and go into fail-safe mode.

I have read that some people also have troubles getting the HICAS controller into diagnostic mode. If your SAS is not working then the HICAS controller will not detect you turning the wheel and will therefore not go into diag mode.

To diagnose the issue in this case, go to your boot and unplug the wiring harness from the HICAS controller. Using the below picture locate the steering angle sensor and neutral sensor pins.

post-72325-1291243746_thumb.jpg

Grab your multi meter and connect up to one of the SAS pins (21 or 22). Have someone watch the voltage change (or not change) when the steering wheel is turned. If all is working fine then the voltage should go from ~5V when steering is centred to ~0V at full lock LH or RH. Just understand that one will change when turning the wheel right and the other will change when turning left.

If the voltage remains at ~5V then most likely the SAS is stuffed. If the voltage is 0V then you most likely have an open circuit.

I hope this helps someone.

So it was deffinitly the steering angle sensor. Just has it replaced with a second hand one from the wreckers.

took the car for a nice long drive and nothing came up. Got the HICAS into diagnostic mode and all is ok.

I hope the info on here helps. Ill work on a D.I.Y. replace you steering angle sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

So it was deffinitly the steering angle sensor. Just has it replaced with a second hand one from the wreckers.

took the car for a nice long drive and nothing came up. Got the HICAS into diagnostic mode and all is ok.

I hope the info on here helps. Ill work on a D.I.Y. replace you steering angle sensor.

please post this DIY!