SAU Community

Burning Oil Smell

ironpaw

I noticed that after every drive I can smell burnt oil. I can't seem to find any leaks. When I had the car checked out a month ago by Stateroads they mentioned there was a slight leak/seepage "around the engine" and from the turbo.

Is this why I'm getting the smell? What should I do...

Check te passenger side rocker cover toward the rear.. Common prob.. Mine was leaking a little.. Got $$ off my sale price.. The oil can slowly leak out there and run onto the turbo area causing the burning smell.. Nissan should be able to get u the gasket no probs cost me $26

As state roads told u it may be the turbo that's just coz the smell and or smoke generally comes from that area but it's so hard to see specifically. They told me the same thing..

If that's not the prob keep looking and make sure ur oil levels are always good..

See how u go..

Edited by matty_M35

usual leaks are

1) around the spark plug closest to the passenger (is a know spot to seep on VQ motors)

2) oil around the turbo. Is a bitch to get to with the heat shields.

Other option, put your vents on Recycled air.. lol

Check te passenger side rocker cover toward the rear.. Common prob.. Mine was leaking a little.. Got $$ off my sale price.. The oil can slowly leak out there and run onto the turbo area causing the burning smell.. Nissan should be able to get u the gasket no probs cost me $26

If that's not the prob keep looking and make sure ur oil levels are always good..

See how u go..

:D

Usually this oil will leak onto your turbo as Matt said or even the heat shields which obviously get very, very hot.

usual leaks are

1) around the spark plug closest to the passenger (is a know spot to seep on VQ motors)

2) oil around the turbo. Is a bitch to get to with the heat shields.

Other option, put your vents on Recycled air.. lol

Hmm I can only smell it when I get out of the car - I dont smell it with the air vents on.

So I need to replace the gasket...eek how much will this set me back?

Oil levels are fine - I changed the oil 2 weeks ago and it certainly wasn't low. A good 4-5 litre of old oil drained out. I replaced it with 5L of Mobil 1.

Gasket is about $20 from Nissan

So just ask for gasket for a VQ engine?

I was more worried about the labour. I'm not terribly mechanically capable - maybe I'll ask Scotty to fix it when I take my car in for the exhaust job :D

ive got oil line leaks on the stock turbo not huge but evident. bit of a worry. - which is no doubt helping kill this turbo prematurely.

only just noticed since i got under there to pull the starter out - new braided lines and speedflow connections will smack that on the head with the hiflow.

i think ive also got a rocker cover leak on the passenger side.. so when its engine out time for the turbo replacement (when i can afford it) that gasket number will come in handy. thanks.

:- got my donkey syringe ready also for the spark plug change.. expecting cylinder 1 to look like a mote of oil.

think i might leave my car at jetwrecks and see if he wants to pull my engine out for me.

Edited by PetroDola

So just ask for gasket for a VQ engine?

I was more worried about the labour. I'm not terribly mechanically capable - maybe I'll ask Scotty to fix it when I take my car in for the exhaust job :(

scotts m35 zorst centre.. at scotts house.

hehe , suprised hes not asking for an hourly rate ;)

well i just got off the phone to nissan.. sobering very sobering.

apparently the 2002 nm35 stagea vq25det part number for a starter motor is this :- 23300-AL600 -$1400 3 weeks to order none in country

the j32 maxima does not suit.. the guy was looking at the bolt pattern its different again.

there was also a 2002 350z one with the part number 23300-AL900 that was $1495 - none in country and also 3 weeks to get in. (the 02-07 350z have 4 different part numbers and he wasnt sure)

hmm.. looks like starter motors are more of a bitch than once thought.

also that part that you quoted me iamhe77 the nissan parts guy said it was a bolt :( - unless he was clueless.

$1500 and 3 weeks though.. that sucks.

Edited by PetroDola

well i just got off the phone to nissan.. sobering very sobering.

apparently the 2002 nm35 stagea vq25det part number for a starter motor is this :- 23300-AL600 -$1400 3 weeks to order none in country

the j32 maxima does not suit.. the guy was looking at the bolt pattern its different again.

there was also a 2002 350z one with the part number 23300-AL900 that was $1495 - none in country and also 3 weeks to get in. (the 02-07 350z have 4 different part numbers and he wasnt sure)

hmm.. looks like starter motors are more of a bitch than once thought.

also that part that you quoted me iamhe77 the nissan parts guy said it was a bolt :( - unless he was clueless.

$1500 and 3 weeks though.. that sucks.

Had to re-read your post, I was going to say $1400 is a little steep for a gasket...lol