SAU Community

Suspended Vic License, Can I Drive In Qld?

MUZT3K

If they asked you to hand over you license that pretty much means you're left with(even if you don't hand it in)... well... 1 - 1 = 0... Zero license. I think in other states you most likely need some sort of license. If you had an international license that's most likely where it will come in handy.

based on everyones comments above id say not, call vicroads to be sure.

yer im gunna have to, its hard thou due to working weekdays during there opening hours..will try during my break tomorow.

thanks for the help guys

The answer is that you are suspended and can't drive anywhere in Australia legally. In response to Charlie's post if you got overseas D/L now you would still be suspended as Vic D/L overrides the international one. I have personally charged someone with that.

• Like 1

You cannot.

Here in WA they can find out but it's just more difficult. They are preparing a national licence scheme but in the mean time one state's suspension is valid in another state's.

On the contrary though, if you obtain an extraordinary licence or type of hardship licence as they may be called elsewhere that is only valid in the state of issue, so you must obtain one for each state you intend to travel. Have had clients that were long haulage drivers in trouble for interstate travel.

• 9 years later...
6 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

What!? You mean, he must ....... read the thread? Gasp!

We in an age where the top comments on YouTube are sometimes a summation of the video so people don’t have to watch it for a few minutes ?

You know, I once lost my license in QLD but I was able to keep driving in Vic, just to throw it out there.

Though this was due to a speeding fine in QLD, which was paid, but because they couldn't find my license in QLD they just banned me from driving there for 3 months, going by the letter they sent me back home in Vic.

NFI if that applies or not, because I didn't get pulled over in the subsequent 3 months in Victoria, and the demerit points did find their way to my VIC license, so I guess they found it in the end?

This was in 2014.

You didn't lose your Vic license. You were just "banned"** from driving in QLD for the period.

**It's arguable that there really was no such ban and/or it was unenforceable. If they don't suspend or cancel your Vic license, you've still got a license. If they couldn't find your Vic license in the first place to stick it to, then you could easily present that license in QLD and they'd be none the wiser. They couldn't tell you that you were driving unlicensed, for example.