SAU Community

Servicing Your V35 - List Of Whats Needed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I was going to do the Oil today. But the 370GT RWD needs a hoist. The sump plug is dead set in the middle of the sump. So it needs to be raised level otherwise it's not all going to come out.. DAMN!! Got the oil and filter ready to soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

To help fellow owners of the JDM 2001-2003 Nissan Skyline V35 250GT Sedan's. These parts should be interchangeable for the coupes and higher makes of the V35 series. I was surprised that some of these parts are interchangeable with the current R35 GTR e.g. fuel lock lid actuator, tensioners, etc. I have completely DIY the following (complete with part numbers and prices that I paid in $AUD from Nissan Japan - get the parts of Amayama). To perform the timing chain replacement and all the jazz in between, you are not required to drop or remove the engine. Remove the front-end objects such as: radiator, hoses, clutch fan, air-intake, intake manifold etc.

• Oil Filter (Nissan Pitworks)
    • AY100-NS004, $11.49
  • Cabin Filter (Denso)
    • 01453-50930, $26.16
  • Spark Plug - Set of 6 (Nissan NGK)
    • 22401-AL815, $86.76
  • Timing Chain Tensioner - Left/Passenger Side (Nissan)
    • 13070-EY00A, $30.67
  • Timing Chain Tensioner - Right/Driver's Side (Nissan)
    • 13070-JK21C, $30.71
  • Timing Chain Tensioner - Right/Driver's Side (Nissan)
    • 13070-JK21B, $30.61
  • ​Cam Timing Chain Guide/Slipper (Nissan)
    • 13085-JK20A, $12.00
  • ​Timing Chain Guide - Slack Side (Nissan)
    • 13091-JK20A, $28.94
  • ​Timing Chain Guide - Tension Side (Nissan)
    • 13085-AL511, $5.97
  • Main/Front Timing Chain (Nissan)
    • 13028-JK00A, $93.28
  • Cam/Camshaft Timing Chain - Set of 2 (Nissan)
    • 13028-JK20B, $74.46
  • ​Water Pump Set - Includes 2x Coolant/Water & Oil Seals (O-Rings) (Nissan)
    • B1010-AL50B, $68.60
  • ​Fuel Filter (Nissan)
    • 16400-2Y505, $68.11
  • Fuel Pump Outlet Seal - O-Ring (Nissan)
    • 17049-4M400, $3.32

I was going to do the Oil today. But the 370GT RWD needs a hoist. The sump plug is dead set in the middle of the sump. So it needs to be raised level otherwise it's not all going to come out.. DAMN!! Got the oil and filter ready to soon.

I only just noticed this post now. I've never needed the hoist for it. I jack mine up from the usual lifting point where you would use the scissor jack for changing tyres. I have the urethane blocks to use with my trolley jacks to make this easier. Once I've jacked it up enough from both sides to get stands under there and unbolt the splash guard, I then pierce a hole in the oil filter to allow it to drain into the pan first. While that's happening, I lower the driver's side to keep the vehicle angled down towards the sump plug and then proceed with removing the sump plug and let it drain out.

Suffice it to say, the oil is still a dark honey colour after the first hundred kms, so I must be draining it of the old oil pretty well. A hoist would be nice to make things easier than crouching around in the driveway like I'm in a Jackie Chan film but it's good enough.

• 2 years later...

I see the oil recommendation is a 5w/30, but have read elsewhere that in a warm climate like Australia, we would be better off using a 10w/40. That 5w/30 sounds ideal for a cold climate but here hardly ever see days under freezing.
I see a higher viscosity oil being less likely burned, or used+ less oil consumption, which seems like a problem with the VQ engines, although my Maxima hasn't had an issue with oil consumption in over 200000 km and I always used 10w/40 oil in it..
Any opinions?

Quoting from the gospel:

"SAE Viscosity Number ALS0006I
GASOLINE ENGINE OIL
SAE 5W-30 viscosity oil is preferred for all temperatures. SAE
10W-30 and 10W-40 viscosity oil may be used if the ambient
temperature is above -18°C(0°F)

I have used 5w-30 in both my VQ35DEs since I have owned them, I live in North Queensland, neither use any oil between changes.

My old J30 maxima specified 10W-30 oil, I used that until the day I got rid of it with 300,000km on it, it also used no oil between services.

Personally, I would stick with what the manufacturer recommends and only deviate from that if there is a good reason to. (eg, burning oil).  That said, 10W-30 or 10W-40 isn't going to hurt in a warm environment, possibly slightly higher fuel consumption though.

• 2 years later...