SAU Community

Rev limiter seems to be removed??

JAPCAB

Hey fellas,

Just a quick question.....on my r33 the rev limiter has been removed - what is causing my rev limiter to not be there? can you reprogram the stock ecu and remove it? do you have to have an aftermarket ECU to remove the rev limiter? Would appreciate any comments.

Cheers

Billy.

Guest RedLineGTR

Billy usally it is the cause of a modded ecu alot of jap brand do re-programmed ecus the more common ones are mines blitz etc...So if u have a sec check passenger side kick panel to see if it has any stickers on it, or even broken factory labels which could show some sort of modding on the inside of the ecu.

Also your rpm guage could be out abit so it may seem that the rpm limiter is not kicking in but in fact its still there only 200rpms away. See how you go..a couple threads are around on aftermarket ecu goodies that people have found on/in there ecu's a while ago.

I'm not saying there is a problem- Car drives perfectly, i just wanted to know what could cause the the rev limiter to be removed, but yer you could take it all the way up to 9 if you really wanted to; not that you would want to i'm sure something would give way!

I honestly don't see a problem with this.

If you don't feel or hear your car doing 7,000rpm you shouldn't be driving.

T.

Well it's like this...

4,000rpm is great for urban scooting. You're already well into the turbo, fuel is ok, you're up to 50-60km/h in mere seconds. Mr. VN Commodore is still messing with his torque converter.

5,000rpm is good for higher speed runs say merging speeds in hwy. ramps. Do you want that semi trailer to just disappear? No problem.

6,000rpm is getting serious - you're WELL over the speed limit, the car is into the power band, everyone around you knows to just stay away, they all move out of the right lane because something VERY FAST is coming thru. Fuel consumption is out the window.

7,000rpm is WSID drag strip or 'da runs bro'...

T.

Thnx for the input champ; i think i may have misworded my question a bit - i understand the rev ranges etc - however my rev limiter is removed and i can rev past 7K, and i guess even to 9K if you were game; so far i've accidentally taken it up to around 8K just briefly before changing gears. I now understand that there must be some sort of ECU chip or aftermarket ECU controlling this.

Well it's like this...

4,000rpm is great for urban scooting. You're already well into the turbo, fuel is ok, you're up to 50-60km/h in mere seconds. Mr. VN Commodore is still messing with his torque converter.

5,000rpm is good for higher speed runs say merging speeds in hwy. ramps. Do you want that semi trailer to just disappear? No problem.

6,000rpm is getting serious - you're WELL over the speed limit, the car is into the power band, everyone around you knows to just stay away, they all move out of the right lane because something VERY FAST is coming thru. Fuel consumption is out the window.

7,000rpm is WSID drag strip or 'da runs bro'...

T.

Cheers for the input mate; yeh the rev limiter is definately removed, you still accelerate nicely after 7K. My mates skyline has rev limiter that cuts him off at the stock 7K mark- once u reach 7K it just bounces off the rev limiter.

Billy usally it is the cause of a modded ecu alot of jap brand do re-programmed ecus the more common ones are mines blitz etc...So if u have a sec check passenger side kick panel to see if it has any stickers on it, or even broken factory labels which could show some sort of modding on the inside of the ecu.

Also your rpm guage could be out abit so it may seem that the rpm limiter is not kicking in but in fact its still there only 200rpms away. See how you go..a couple threads are around on aftermarket ecu goodies that people have found on/in there ecu's a while ago.

It's hard to say.

I've seen CPU's with the obvious 'Mines' or some sticker on it and it's obviously chipped.

Others you might have to open up and seem if it looks like it's been soldered up backyard style.

Others even might have the whole circuit system covered in resin to avoid tampering!

T.

Tony,

Oh i see...so i'dhave to unplug my ECU and take it out and have a look? is it safe to do so though? Also; say its a chipped ecu - how much are the chips normally? are they expensive or relatively cheap?

Cheers

It's hard to say.

I've seen CPU's with the obvious 'Mines' or some sticker on it and it's obviously chipped.

Others you might have to open up and seem if it looks like it's been soldered up backyard style.

Others even might have the whole circuit system covered in resin to avoid tampering!

T.

The ECU is a steel box with the boards inside.

As long as the car is off, it's perfectly safe to pull out and have a look. I'd advise against opening it unless you're at least competant with say building a standard desktop computer or have used a soldering iron before.

Be advised that a dead ECU = a dead car (until you can get a 'new' ECU from the wreckers etc.)

The story is that the Japanese might bring their car to a famous shop (Mines, HKS etc.)

They want a certain number of mods at the price.

They can choose a fully programmable computer like my PowerFC.

Or they can choose a CPU like an R32 type unit which is rewritable.

Or they stick with the R33 unit and their electrical engineers modify the ECU to control the mods that they fit.

The bad thing is that you can only bring the ECU back to the original shop for adjust (obviously we can't do that in Aust.) - so if you have an ECU which is a 'fixed' program like the ECU's written for Japanese 100+ RON unleaded petrol, well they are useless in Australia.

T.

something interesting to happened to me about 4 weeks ago....

my rev limiter used to kick in around 6500, but after resetting my ecu 4 weeks ago i am not even sure it kicks in anymore...i only have taken it to 7000 or just a bit over, and cant feel it like before....

i had a quick look at the comp without taking it out, no stickers but the nissan label has been removed and stuck back on....

also the engine seems to be running leaner, as i am getting more k's to a full tank and dont have that lovely exhaust popage :) but there is power loss from 5000 till 7000 compared to before the reset....it almost feels like the comp has lost its modified program...which i know is not possible!!

anyone have any ideas???

my ecu has been modded with a higher rev limit.. and im glad it does have one, cos sometimes get a bit too eager on the burnouts and forget to watch the tacho..

anyway, lots of the chipped ECU's have stickers on the back, which means u need to undo the 3 x 10mm bolts holding the ecu brackets on to the car.. only takes 2 mins to check.