SAU Community

Anodizing

ylwgtr2

Hi sydney kid...I have a sandblast cabinet so i blasted them with glass beads first then they were polished to a mirror finish...next the surface must be free from all polish and foreign matter(its extremely important...more so than with other paints as this paint is transparent and if you get fish eyes or silicon spots then you have to start again)The paint is 2k and must be painted in a completly dust free enviroment as any dust or crap in the paint will show up and a big black spot( this is due to the candy gathering around a speck of dust..therefore a darker patch in that area)The heavier the material is applied....the darker it becomes as i said in the above post,very shapey parts are very difficult to get the surface looking uniform.The part should then be baked at approx 80 degrees....obviously its not spray can material...its a 2K product by a japanese company called ROCK the colour available are very wide from blue purple gold green red and can be mixed to acheive a custom colour........Its important to use the correct material as normal candy will not stick to the polished surface,i guess some adhesion promoter may make it stick but i am unsure on how this would affect the finish......I am quite sure this is the product that Nissan used on there 34 GTR engines from that factory as when i blasted it off there was no primer or nothing under the original paintwork,I remember i painted some R34 covers for a 34 that was repaired when i was in japan and 99 percenet sure its the same stuff i got from the nissan dealer........the covers could have been painted over the original finish but a inferior finish would be acheived

Hope that helps

I still have some material left if you need a set done

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ylwgtr2, no problem with sand blasting we have a cabinet. Polishing I'm not so sure about whether it is worth the time. What happens if you paint it onto a freshly blasted, clean surface, rather than a polished surface?

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I could pay for the time it must take. I might be able to justify a swap though, anything you need?

id say you will end up with a finished product like the 34 RB26 engine...the polishing is definately the way to go...but horses for courses i guess......i dont really need anything at the moment but an IOU would be accepted :)

i have machined a bit of titanium in the past....i cant say i remember it being gunmetal grey :S

I'm an Aircraft Maintainance Engineer by trade, and I have seen many titanium parts. The guy sitting beside me right now (laughing, by the way) used to mandrel bend titanium tube for aircraft, and the colour we chose was the closest to raw titanium that we could find. Freshly machined titanium has a brighter finish though, and I assume that is what you are talking about.

Regardless, the customer was extremely happy with the result, and that's what counts. :D

That's a beautiful colour for piping... Your customer has better taste than you do, "Bling Bling Mark" :D

Hey dude, I said I prefered it to the polished look. We were a little uncertain of how it would look, but after I fitted it up we couldn't believe how nice and clean it turned out.

Hey dude, I said I prefered it to the polished look. We were a little uncertain of how it would look, but after I fitted it up we couldn't believe how nice and clean it turned out.

DOH!!! I thought you said you prefered the polished look :D

Okay okay, you have good taste too :D