SAU Community

Standard Exhaust Manifold

ronnydotk

Hi all.

Just wondering, on an RB30DET setup in r32 gts-t would the standard exhaust manifold be to restrictive when chasing around 350rwkw?

I am only planning my build at this stage but i would rather have all the bases covered when it comes to building the engine. I don't want to get the engine inand find out the standard manifold is holding back the turbo from all of it potential.

other things i plan to use on build of RB30DET

BR25DET head vct hooked up (standard cams)

plazmaman plenum (to clear bonnet)

66mm throttle body

fmic

gt35r (internal waste gate, running around about 20~22psi max)

power fc

550cc injectors

walbro fuel pump (or 044 if walbro isn't enough)

Does 350rwkw sounds realistic with stock manifold?

If not what are some good brands to look into?

Has anyone tried tuneagent? They seem very cheap (almost too cheap???)

Thanks again.

Ron

Yeah i was thinking that might be the case.

I wanted to try keep internal gate turbo as it will just be less hassles to get engineered i presume?

I read on here that dangerman put the iw gt35 on his rb25 without any issues, so i'm hoping that on an RB30DET it does the job too.

If not it will have to be an external gate job.

As you are from Melb, you do realise that you'll never get a GT35 engineered?

and if you do, you'll fail any EPA by default simple due to the larger turbo which will stand out like dogs balls... let alone all your other mods.

If you wanna get engineered/legal, the only real way is a 26 head and use low mounts.

even then its technically illegal, but impossible to pick/spot/defect.

I wanted to try keep internal gate turbo as it will just be less hassles to get engineered i presume?

internal/external gates are exactly the same to engineer as long as they are plumbed back into the exhaust before the cat.

Ash, if the car is registered in another state do the harsh vic EPA rules still apply?

you are still highly obvious/delectable.

highmounts + gate = tasty? :nyaanyaa:

ah shit... defectable... lol.

new phone dictionary :(

mmm another state gets you out of it, but if you keep getting pulled over/noted, you can end up with shit anyway because its 3 months, and you have to change it i think.

although ibelieve you can be defected, i mean logically you couldn't say... drive around on bald tyres just because you are interstate.

someone would need to confirm that i guess as I'm not 100%

As you are from Melb, you do realise that you'll never get a GT35 engineered?

and if you do, you'll fail any EPA by default simple due to the larger turbo which will stand out like dogs balls... let alone all your other mods.

If you wanna get engineered/legal, the only real way is a 26 head and use low mounts.

even then its technically illegal, but impossible to pick/spot/defect.

Can you explain why it's impossible to get a GT35 engineered on a 30?

I dunno how similar the Vic rules are to WA, but in theory shouldn't he just need to pass emissions, ground clearance for exhaust and noise test?

pretty much sums it up.

you cannot get EPA approval without going the FULL emissions that, basically like a new car. its not like other states where you can do a 15-20mins test on a dyno.

hence big singles are obvious, and get rapedand you then have to pull ALL the mods off.

use a 26 head with replacement low mounts = cannot tell.

you just get pinned for ECU and injectors, a 30min swap. not bad for a potential 400-450rwkw.

getting a 'stock' 26 engineered is ridiculously easy hence that's why i did it for my GTSR and took the 25 out.

We get it pretty easy over here in WA (we had IM240 testing booted by the motor trade association) so I can't really comment BUT:

Is it really that hard to swap from a high mount back to a low mount... I mean really should only take a few hours each time, I know it's a pain in the arse but when is getting defected ever not?

Edited by SimonR32

I'd settle for IM240 lol, that'd be easy like NSW!

Well he has plenum, T/B, FMIC, turbo... that would then mean exhaust matching issues and all the old intake piping etc.

So it's a good 5-6hr job IMO as it all needs to come off. And then repeat, 10-12hrs total. Then you break an exhaust stud or something on a Sunday and have to wait to get it out... It sounds simple but sometimes shit just goes wrong :|

Even doing it once is enough to make you question the point of it all.

except over here theres only one shop that can do im240 and they like to charge a small house deposit for a test

The IM240 testing regime has been ditched for about 4 months now, they are using the 5 gas test to pass cars now.

If anyone has Zoom mag issue 146 (with the orange 764hp CA18 datto on the cover), read my 2 page article on pg 96/97 about it...

I think i should talk to some engineers.

What i've read from vsb14 (get it from vicroads - replaces vsi8) you can use any engine and it can be engineered with any mods as long as you pass the emissions test and have up-rated all other neccessary components (ie suspension if the engine weighs alot more, brakes if it's alot more powerful)

maybe the RB30DET is out of the picture.

vsb 14

code LA2 is for engines that are more than 20% heavier or more powerful than factory (which is what an RB30DET would fall under).

Says that "When ADR complying engines are modified by using alternative components such as camshafts, carburettors and engine management systems, proof of compliance with any relevant emissions ADR is required"

So if you went with a RB26DETT or RB25DET in an R32 it would still fall under LA2 (as 20% increase of 2L RB20 is 2.4L). Its that because they are already ADR compliant engines (in stock form) that it wouldn't need to have the emissions test (if presented in stock form).

But if it were modified in anyway (as stated in VSB14) then they too would need to be gas tested.

And even though r32s had RB25DE in them, they were offered only as non turbo and if you converted an R32 with RB25DE factory to RB25DET and presented it to engineers then it would still fall under LA2.

It's amazing what you find out when you dig a little deeper....

Edited by ronnydotk

The problem with that is you would have to meet the current emmisions regs (euro 4) whiich would be next to impossible.

Nissan Ditched the RB motor before Euro 3 came in because not even Nissan could be bothered spending the coin to get the RB26 to pass.

Whoops. Only just realised that i was talking about capacity of the engines not power ratings or weight.

Probaly all still the same though. Depends on stock power figures as to whether or not they are LA1 or LA2.

Edited by ronnydotk

The problem with that is you would have to meet the current emmisions regs (euro 4) whiich would be next to impossible.

Nissan Ditched the RB motor before Euro 3 came in because not even Nissan could be bothered spending the coin to get the RB26 to pass.

Would RB25DET and RB26DETT need to pass euro 4 or only the emissions standards of the time they were produced or the R32 was made?