SAU Community

Standard Exhaust Manifold

ronnydotk

Would RB25DET and RB26DETT need to pass euro 4 or only the emissions standards of the time they were produced or the R32 was made?

my RB30 is engineered and emissions legal according to NSW and ACT requirements (car is from 94) and the emissions components of the engine dont change from the RB25, so its required to meet the 1994 emissions levels which are far more relaxed than euro 3 & 4.

i am not sure if the VIC system treats them differently.

The IM240 testing regime has been ditched for about 4 months now, they are using the 5 gas test to pass cars now.

If anyone has Zoom mag issue 146 (with the orange 764hp CA18 datto on the cover), read my 2 page article on pg 96/97 about it...

yer i know, just saying.

yer i know, just saying.

thank fk it's gone hey!

IM240 was a prime example of the government trying to be smart, and failing.

"Oh yeah I'll just take my AWD car to KEC to get the test done, wait! ... They don't have an AWD dyno..."

OK so i spent a few hours reading today... And have come to the follow conclusions thus far:

ALL ECU’s must be tested for compliance, LA2 clearly states this is a requirement, so its full ADR.

You have two distinct elements of engineering to deal with as a part of LA2.

1. The replacement motor itself.

2. Emission testing the RB30DET with all the aftermarket parts. It must go via the LT3 & LT4 as a part of LA2

Now as it stands. Part 1 - “LA2” is nothing more than a simple VASS Cert in Victoria. Costing around $600 and then you are done.

Piece of cake really, and exactly how I had my RB26 registered into the GTSR.

Part 2 of LA2 is the absolute mongrel, paperwork minefield and overall waste of time.

You need to get the full ADR testing, and then the same for the exhaust. That is a massive amount of time and money.

Once you do that, and only once you do that – are you fully engineered and totally safe from defects.

OR you can do just Part 1, just like everyone else. As it’s just a “VASS”.

Issue is you can’t modify and as soon as you do, it ends up with the EPA getting all funky on you time and time again.

Given you want to use a heap of obviously mods, you will get reamed, and they will probably take photo’s of your engine bay.

If you use a 26 head, you’ll basically be undetectable with only ECU/Injectors requiring a swap…

And that’s IF they pick it… As there are ways around that of course.

I'll do some more reading on ALL the ADR stuff over the next 2-3 weeks, it'll take me a while given I've got functions/booze sessions almost everyday from now till NYD :D

thanks nismoid. Yeah the exhaust noise and emissions test would be too hard.

I think after all this i've decided to change pathways. go with r32 gts-t and put rb26dett in. as you said low mount gt2860's will be stealth... then it's only vass ticket i'll need (if a bit sneaky)

damn vicroads and the fun-police

I know you're leaning towards a 26 now but just going back to your original proposed setup, I'm not sure a plazmaman plenum on a 25/30 will fit under the bonnet.. there's not a lot of room and the plazmaman plenum retains the factory runners (it bolts on top of the runners). Better bet is to go with a GReddy plenum, I couldn't find one for my setup (R32 RB25DE head, so RB20 style) so made up a custom plenum with GTR chamber welded to RB20 runners.

he wants to avoid legal issues.

that item is stand out like dogs balls obvious.

a good condition 26. -9 turbos, 300rwkw easily... and virtually defect free vs a similar result, and more headache then its worth.

if you've never lived/dealt with the Vic rules, police and EPA then you rarely appreciate just how bad it is.

i was defected not 6 weeks ago for semi slicks... which were totally legal.

end of the day the Vic police do what they want, thanks to Steve Bracks and his bullshit 'hoon' campaigns.

he wants to avoid legal issues.

that item is stand out like dogs balls obvious.

a good condition 26. -9 turbos, 300rwkw easily... and virtually defect free vs a similar result, and more headache then its worth.

if you've never lived/dealt with the Vic rules, police and EPA then you rarely appreciate just how bad it is.

i was defected not 6 weeks ago for semi slicks... which were totally legal.

end of the day the Vic police do what they want, thanks to Steve Bracks and his bullshit 'hoon' campaigns.

I realise this and appreciate that is why he is now leaning towards the 26.

I was addressing the plazmaman plenum on an RB30DET purely from a spacial standpoint.

At the end of the day, you can still get stickered for semi-slicks here in WA, you can get stickered for anything if the cops don't understand it.

Hell, when my 32 was defected (just after I dropped the 3L in and hadn't legalised it yet), one of the items on the list was for my STOCK BOV!

yeah but you can get legal, and then take them to court.

we can't get legal, so you'll never win.

It still won't stop an officer on the side of the road from putting another defect notice on it. Even with permits, the cops only need to suspect that something has changed to send you back to the pits.

But I'm not some teenage little shit so I don't get hassled and rarely get looked :)

P.S. move to WA where RB30DET's are easy to legalise :D

Not a teenager either...

However when i was a teenager i used to drive my datsun 1200 ute with custom made turbo setup (T25G) daily around bendigo ("the hoon capital") and never once got pulled over for it. Even with p's up!!!

Goes to show it's not what you drive but how you drive it and when you drive it. I drove it to and from work everyday for 12months and never got pulled over, while my mates would go out in their "sick vn bro" on a saturday night and cut laps and sure as eggs get canaried!

Anyway this is all way off topic now. Quite a bit of good info in here though

There is a lot of info in the EPA / Roadworthy thread in the Vic Section too mate.

I've tried to answer as much as I can over the years as I've had EPA's, Canaries, trips to court (to challenge the defects)... You name it (and im 28 now).

Also had at length chats to the EPA officers on many occasions about various issues as well as a few VASS Engineers.

It's interesting the things they will tell you if you aren't the typical dumb ass-hat that comes in there and wants to argue with them or tell you the sorry story of how the officer EPA'd you lol :)

Consensus seems to be 300rwkw is the point where you need to be looking for a new exhaust manifold. Don't get a cheap Stainless one - get a 6boost or a Sinco customs:

post-49463-0-42519500-1292252377_thumb.jpg

Nice manifold! Mine was one of Mikes first merged ones and the car he did half his testing on. Hes probably told you the overboost story, and yeah that was my thing not holding boost.

Was thinking about moving to Aussie due to better job opportunities but think i might stay in NZ. My 350kw car is perfectly legal on the roads with big wastegate, turbo etc. Its a shame really that you guys get put through the ringer for wanting to modify a car.