SAU Community

Help Me Decide R32 Gtr Vs R33 Gtr Vspec

HI Folks wondering if you can shed some light on this issue.

I have previously owned both r32 gtr and r33 gtr in the past and had to sell due to buying my first property.

It is now time to buy another gtr and r34 gtr is out of the budget so im after either a r32 gtr or r33 gtr.

I found owning the r33 that it wasnt as snappier in cornering etc but i was running nismo stune coilover as the r32 but it was alot newer and didnt require alot to be upgraded or replaced.

I want to get into trackdays and have a nice street car and when i look in japan to import one over they are ruffly the same price so im stuck on which one i should go for..

your thoughts?

The 32 is a much better offering IMO

more nible, and better suited to track

care to explain why? the only thing the 32 has going for it is weighing a tiny bit less. other than that the ATTESA system isn't as good, the engine suffers more from oil issues (33 still suffers from it but not as much), and the 33 actually has better suspension geometry.

Nurburgring times (on stock cars with just spare wheels and bits 'n pieces removed)...

BMW E46 M3 > 8'22" > driven by Horst Von Saurma (2000; 11 yrs after the R32 GT-R came into being)

R32 GT-R > 8'22" > driven by Motoharu Kurosawa

Subaru WRX STi Spec-C > 8'06" > driven by Motoharu Kurosawa

Honda NSX-R (NA1) > 8'03" > driven by Motoharu Kurosawa

R33 GT-R > 8'01" > driven by Motoharu Kurosawa

R33 GT-R > 7'59" > driven by Dirk Shoisman

Honda NSX-R (NA2) > 7'57" > driven by Motoharu Kurosawa (2002; 7 years after the R33 GT-R came into being)

As mentioned by R31Nismoid, the R33 GT-R chassis counts a lot + also the way the R33 GT-R can tend to slightly oversteer (c.f. R32 GT-R understeer).

The 32 is a much better offering IMO

more nible, and better suited to track

I think it's brilliant that we all love whichever one we love. But when I was going through the same thing, all my real research with those having practical experience racing them and tuning them (not from googling) had suggested that the R33 was the more accomplished performance car with the faster smarts, more balanced chassis with slightly rear biased handling. The concensus also suggested that as a result of the improved chassis and higher rigidity, the suspension worked better.

But I Love em all, and if I had the funds, i'd have one of each and a 6 car garage to house them.

a lot of people go the 32 because they think it's the fastest because it is the quickest over the 1/4 mile, which it is, but round a track it isn't the quickest and most people ignore that in their "the r32 is the fastest" argument

I have an R32, and my mother has an R33 (yes you read right) both are v-specs, I bought an R32 because I wanted an R32 v-spec II, but the R33 IS the better car, you will generally get more for your money, and the late R32s weight 1530+ kg anyway. I personally find that the benefit of the R33 is that it isn't as taily. I have only had the 32 on the track, but a bit of spirited driving the 32 wants to be thrown in and be driven through slightly tail out, the 33 at first feels far less willing to come in, but that is because it isn't trying to spin on you and head for the fields. If you want the original Godzilla the 32 is it, but as a car I would choose the R33.

• Like 1

I have also owned both and prefer the R32 by a long shot. But my R32 is one of the neatest going around so makes it difficult to compare apples with apples.

I have an R32, and my mother has an R33 (yes you read right) both are v-specs, I bought an R32 because I wanted an R32 v-spec II, but the R33 IS the better car, you will generally get more for your money, and the late R32s weight 1530+ kg anyway. I personally find that the benefit of the R33 is that it isn't as taily. I have only had the 32 on the track, but a bit of spirited driving the 32 wants to be thrown in and be driven through slightly tail out, the 33 at first feels far less willing to come in, but that is because it isn't trying to spin on you and head for the fields. If you want the original Godzilla the 32 is it, but as a car I would choose the R33.

+1

You get more for your money with R33 than R32.

Another vote for the 33.

I was looking for a Series 3 V-spec when i came across the N1, and the only reason i went with the 32 is because its an N1.

And as others have said, stock for stock, a 33 is a better allround car.

based on knowing nothing on either of the cars Mechanically wise -

I'de get the GTR33.. a friend of mine had both and kept them stock. I drove both of them, and I did prefer the way the 33 handled. the acceleration felt smoother than the 32 and it doesnt feel like its about to fall apart as there are less noises.

I guess its becauses its a newer car...

and looks wise? they have nicer curves but still keep that look of " commodore, im going to murder you "

plus everyone has a GTR32.

IMO :thumbsup: