SAU Community

Converting My R33 To Manual

SECURITY

okay so i've done a bit of research on how to get this all done, it sounds simple enough for me so i MIGHT attempt it. either way this is where i'll be dumping all of my info and if i do it myself i'll try and get a step-by-step happening.

my main issue is the wiring, so far i've gotten the following information from different parts of the net.

you have 2 options when wiring - you can cut off the auto loom and solder in a manual one and just connect everything or do the following;

you need to connect 3 looms to the manual box;

- speed sensor, neutral (drops idle/timing to suit), reverse (to turn the reverse lights on).

imagining the box is mounted, the speedo sensor sits at the front of the 3 looms, then reverse and neutral is the last.

the speedo sensors have universal looms so they just plug right into manual/auto without any modifications.

there are a group of five other cables that come off the auto gearbox (near the fuse box).

there are 2 larger gauge wires that need to be soldered or crimped to one another - the auto has a fail-safe that doesnt allow the car to be started in any other place then neutral and park - connecting these 2 wires disables this.

the next ones are the neutral and reverse switches.

these are 3 wires that contain a ground wire. they are colour coded to make it simpler.

green = reverse

white = neutral

black = ground

so to recap, in order from the furthest front sensor to rear on the manual gearbox, you are doing the following;

- speedo connects straight on

- neutral = connect to white wire

- reverse = connect to green wire

- ground = ground the black wire

i'll be updating this with pics if i go ahead and do it myself. will keep this thread updated as much as i can.

cheers,

joe

• Like 1

parts needed for the conversion:

Manual box (der)

Manual gearbox mount

Clutch + brake pedal

Flywheel

Spigot bearing

Clutch slave + master cylinder

Drive shaft

Gear stick

Manual gear stick surround

other stuff:

manual cluster (optional)

manual gearbox loom (to make the wiring a bit easier). also optional.

fluids

is there anything else im missing?

Edited by SECURITY

• 1 month later...

ive done a little bit of the preparation work.

- replaced throw out bearing

- connected braided clutch hose to master/slave

- installed the manual pedal - the holes are on the inside of the cabin. just centre punch and drill them out. i managed to do it without taking the dash out, but i'll need to do it to fit the manual brake pedal (but it can wait).

i've got my redline shockproof oil ready to go. i just need to get the car high enough to start.

• 2 weeks later...

ive done this mate,

its quiet easy, hardest thing i had was getting the manual one back in.. other then that its unexpectedly easy.. im not sure about the netural wire i havent got that wired up yet, i dont know what one i should be connecting it onto on the auto loom..

• 1 year later...

First of all, thanks to SECURITY for posting up his information. The wiring stuff made the job heaps easier. some pictures posted by pal of the wiring needed to be done in the engine bay were a big help too.

post referning to Pal's pictures is here -> http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/285791-manual-conversion/page__st__20__gopid__6255165#entry6255165

just to add my experience, i have a S1 and i bought the manual stuff from a S2. everything fit straight up except for the tailshaft. as i have now learned, the S2 i got my parts from had ABS and hence the diff snout is a little longer due to the ABS sensor so when i measured the rear half of the tailshaft from the S2 it was about 15mm shorter that the rear section of the series 1 hence will not fit. so i got a S1 manual tailshaft complete from my local wrecker and solved my problem.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 12/16/2010 at 8:34 PM, SECURITY said:

okay so i've done a bit of research on how to get this all done, it sounds simple enough for me so i MIGHT attempt it. either way this is where i'll be dumping all of my info and if i do it myself i'll try and get a step-by-step happening.

my main issue is the wiring, so far i've gotten the following information from different parts of the net.

you have 2 options when wiring - you can cut off the auto loom and solder in a manual one and just connect everything or do the following;

you need to connect 3 looms to the manual box;

- speed sensor, neutral (drops idle/timing to suit), reverse (to turn the reverse lights on).

imagining the box is mounted, the speedo sensor sits at the front of the 3 looms, then reverse and neutral is the last.

the speedo sensors have universal looms so they just plug right into manual/auto without any modifications.

there are a group of five other cables that come off the auto gearbox (near the fuse box).

there are 2 larger gauge wires that need to be soldered or crimped to one another - the auto has a fail-safe that doesnt allow the car to be started in any other place then neutral and park - connecting these 2 wires disables this.

the next ones are the neutral and reverse switches.

these are 3 wires that contain a ground wire. they are colour coded to make it simpler.

green = reverse

white = neutral

black = ground

so to recap, in order from the furthest front sensor to rear on the manual gearbox, you are doing the following;

- speedo connects straight on

- neutral = connect to white wire

- reverse = connect to green wire

- ground = ground the black wire

i'll be updating this with pics if i go ahead and do it myself. will keep this thread updated as much as i can.

cheers,

joe

I am in the middle of doing the conversion now can anyone tell me what the wires on the car side not the gearbox side 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey all I’ve just done an auto to manual conversion on my R33 sedan however the mechanic didn’t have the right loom to connect up the reverse and neutral sensor wires. I’m going to do this myself but I’m having problems with finding out what colour wires from the fuse box I need to connect to. Can someone please help? ?

pics attached for references 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg