SAU Community

Adsl2+ Speeds

STATUS

Whats an acceptable download speed, im not a internet know-all unfortunately. Over the last month its slowed to nearly a standstill (as test below shows)

plan is ADSL 2 + BigPond ADSL Liberty* (25GB) 20000/1000 and paying good money for what i beleive is a snail pace internet service.

speed test results;

Mirror: Telstra Bigpond

Data: 3 MB

Test Time: 28.95 secs

Your line speed is 846 kbps (0.85 Mbps).

Your download speed is 106 KB/s (0.1 MB/s).

Strange. I got telstra on the liberty plan and have no problems going at 1300kb/s download rate.

Maybe your just in a bad area

i reckon they have done something to my account as i used to be able to download 3mb in an instant.... literally click and it would be done... now it take nearly 30seconds (usually download 30mb in that time)

your running at slower than dial up speeds to put it in terms you might understand so thats shit, do you have a download limit as i am with telstra when we reached our 25gb it was terribly sloooowwwwwwww. now were on 100gb never been over can dl 1gb in under an hour.

your running at slower than dial up speeds to put it in terms you might understand so thats shit, do you have a download limit as i am with telstra when we reached our 25gb it was terribly sloooowwwwwwww. now were on 100gb never been over can dl 1gb in under an hour.

More closer to ADSL 1.5Mb but slightly slower.

Sounds like you have either been:

1. Capped by telstra

2. Modem configuration

3. Stuffed modem

4. Issue with lines

5. Issue at the exchange

6. Issue with ISP

I would check out the modem by going into its config (via browser usually) (there should be some info on how to on a sticker on the modem/router) otherwise hit the Googles. There should be some tests you can run in its software.

Do you run filters on all your phone extensions (assuming they are connected to the same number?) You could have a dodgy one. (EG. i has a $2 one that I ran with my old modem/router that would not allow my new modem to sync, put a better one in and its fine).

Also check for noise on the line (listening to the line when all you can hear is a dial tone), also check the wiring from phone socket to modem, also if the line is quite long interference could be causing an issue.

After that try turning it off and letting it cool down. If this makes a difference, try getting more ventilation into it. If it's a dlink try putting it on it's side for better ventilation/cooling.

if it's still shit call Bigpond. If they come to test and find the fault on your side of the lines(IE your property) you will be up for dollars.

If I was not so f**king flat out busy with work and Christmas shit I would pop in and take a look see along with some spare modems I have.

If it ain't sorted by the new year let me know and I will pop in :)

bigpond wont randomly cap your service unless you go over the quota

the only time random capping applies is if the exchange is starved of data and cannot sustain the throughput

they then cap the entire exchange and it slows down all users, but that wouldnt occur very often as capacity is managed

do you know when it was last working fast

This can be a cause of losing packets (data) between the ISP and you.

Similar thing happened to me at my oldies place and turned out the exchange (or whatever it is) out on the road had rust on some of it's components and was loosing packets.

Best thing to do is contact your ISP and ask them to try to do a speed test to you, or for something you can test yourself to see if you are losing packets:

I know you have Windows:

click start, run (if using xp) or in the text area at the bottom of the start menu (Vista+), type cmd, and enter

a black window should come up, in that type:

ping www.optusnet.com.au -t

ping is a way to check if there is communication, optusnet is the optusnet server and -t means keep going until you stop it... watch it for 2 mins and see if it says "request timed out" at any time.

oh and push ctrl + c to stop it.

Adam

This can be a cause of losing packets (data) between the ISP and you.

Similar thing happened to me at my oldies place and turned out the exchange (or whatever it is) out on the road had rust on some of it's components and was loosing packets.

Best thing to do is contact your ISP and ask them to try to do a speed test to you, or for something you can test yourself to see if you are losing packets:

I know you have Windows:

click start, run (if using xp) or in the text area at the bottom of the start menu (Vista+), type cmd, and enter

a black window should come up, in that type:

ping www.optusnet.com.au -t

ping is a way to check if there is communication, optusnet is the optusnet server and -t means keep going until you stop it... watch it for 2 mins and see if it says "request timed out" at any time.

oh and push ctrl + c to stop it.

Adam

Bad wireless config / reception can also lose packets....

I would try both wireless and with ethernet plugged into a router.

That will tell you if it is between your modem and ISP or its your LAN.

There's definitely an issue there, 106KB/Sec isnt dialup speeds (dialup is like, 5k/sec), and it isnt capped speeds either. Not sure what telstra capped speed is, but if it was 106kb/sec after you hit quota I am absolutely sure everyone would instantly switch to Telstra.

I don't think dropped packets would cause download speeds of 106, if he's usually getting 1000.. he'd be dropping 90% of all packets, and you'd definitely notice issues other than speed if dropping 90% of packets :P

Do the ping though, see what the response times are, but even if they are massively delayed it still doesn't mean that the download speed should be so slow. Only one who is going to actually be able to do anything is your ISP, I'd give them a call as they are the ones who can actually see what is happening.

almost forgot.

In regards to latency (ping), don't compare against ADSL 1 to ADSL 2. ADSL 1 actually has better latecny, hence a lot of serious gamers have dedicated ADSL1 for gaming and ADSL2 for everything else.

Jump on http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/ and put in your address and it'll say how far you are from the exchange, and what speeds you SHOULD be getting. That way you know theoritically what speeds you should be getting,

The estimated speed it says for me is pretty bang on what I'm actually getting at home!

Edited by cosmokram3r

Jump on http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/ and put in your address and it'll say how far you are from the exchange, and what speeds you SHOULD be getting. That way you know theoritically what speeds you should be getting,

The estimated speed it says for me is pretty bang on what I'm actually getting at home!

I just put in my phone number, the exchange is just down the road from me...Pretty sure it's telstra, but I'm with internode...anyway the thing I wanna know is, It highlights a section of the map in blue, then lists a whole heap of ADSL plans underneath...Is the blue zone the area in which you can get any of those plans below that say available now?

And does anyone have TPG ADSL2+ and if so, are you happy with it?

thats actually a pretty good site...thnx :)

I just put in my phone number, the exchange is just down the road from me...Pretty sure it's telstra, but I'm with internode...anyway the thing I wanna know is, It highlights a section of the map in blue, then lists a whole heap of ADSL plans underneath...Is the blue zone the area in which you can get any of those plans below that say available now?

And does anyone have TPG ADSL2+ and if so, are you happy with it?

The blue zone would cover the distance from the exchange who can actually get the service connected onto that exchange.

I have TPG ADSL2+ Unlimited plan, I live pretty far from the exchange though so I max out my connection at 260kb/s but very very happy with the service TPG provide!

Best value for money in my opinion, I have friends with them as well and no issues!

I'm close as to my exchange and get speeds up to 1.8mb per second. Telstra 200gb plan. Can't go wrong. Strange that speeds for 106kb/sec are reached rather than the usual. I know if you exceed your download, your speed goes to like 8-10kb/sec.

i was there today and had a looksy for trent, id say its on bigponds end, hes only syncing at 800kbps not the 20000 or so he should be. he said the exchange is on the same block as him so there is no way he should be loosing so much in his sync. and to who ever suggested that the rain/water weve been having might affect it, id say that this is whats causing it, a fair few exchanges got f**ked up over the last week thnx to the heavy rain weve been having... told him to give bigpond a buzz and get them to see wtf is going on :)

The blue zone would cover the distance from the exchange who can actually get the service connected onto that exchange.

I have TPG ADSL2+ Unlimited plan, I live pretty far from the exchange though so I max out my connection at 260kb/s but very very happy with the service TPG provide!

Best value for money in my opinion, I have friends with them as well and no issues!

Hopefully it's available at my house when it's finished being built then....It's just inside the blue zone, and I've been starting to think about what internet I can get when I move in...Wireless broadband is way to expensive for f**k all bandwidth so that won't cut it...If I can get TPG 200gb or unlimited for that price I'll be happy.

I'll have to let my dad know it should be available here too, He's paying something like $70 or $79 a month for 40gb ADSL with internode...