SAU Community

Adsl2+ Speeds

STATUS

Most new states are wired pair gain. You will be lucky if you can get ADSL2. Best chance is with telstra.

They might re wire your house, then again you could be sharing copper with a dozen other houses.

Optus cable with their speed pack is the way to go. NBN like speeds now.

Although I dont think optus are allowed to lay any more coax. Which sucks.

New housing estates are copping it in the bot bot.

Just ask anyone from point cook, a lot of houses there don't even have the copper to the house when they are built.

Trent take everything else off the line. Unplug the phones etc etc, no line filters etc.

unplug and plug the router back in, then see what it syncs at. That will rule out something environmental at your end.

If it is still shit, log a phone call with Telstra saying your phone line drops and is crackly and that your Internet is slow.

And does anyone have TPG ADSL2+ and if so, are you happy with it?

Everyone at my Uni is pretty much with TPG, cell phone provider and ADSL2+, most of us either have the 500GB plan or unlimited, have not heard a single complaint to anyone and we always recommend them to our friends, although this is bearing in mind that were somewhat IT savy...as you would hope lol, so we assume you never have to call customer support and you can fix the majority of problems yourself cause they are SHIIITE and half the time you cant understand the screwballs

Everyone at my Uni is pretty much with TPG, cell phone provider and ADSL2+, most of us either have the 500GB plan or unlimited, have not heard a single complaint to anyone and we always recommend them to our friends, although this is bearing in mind that were somewhat IT savy...as you would hope lol, so we assume you never have to call customer support and you can fix the majority of problems yourself cause they are SHIIITE and half the time you cant understand the screwballs

+1

Only had to call them once and that was because they changed the authentication at the exchange so your password has to be letters and numbers, so I called up had that fixed up and thats the only hiccup I've had with them in the last 1-2 years :)

Most new states are wired pair gain. You will be lucky if you can get ADSL2. Best chance is with telstra.

They might re wire your house, then again you could be sharing copper with a dozen other houses.

Optus cable with their speed pack is the way to go. NBN like speeds now.

Although I dont think optus are allowed to lay any more coax. Which sucks.

New housing estates are copping it in the bot bot.

Just ask anyone from point cook, a lot of houses there don't even have the copper to the house when they are built.

Most of that is jibberish to me...I put in my brothers home phone number, who's house is about 100m around the corner from where mine is being built, and in the same estate, and it said on the TPG website that it's available there....Not sure how reliable that is, but fingers crossed...

Most of that is jibberish to me...I put in my brothers home phone number, who's house is about 100m around the corner from where mine is being built, and in the same estate, and it said on the TPG website that it's available there....Not sure how reliable that is, but fingers crossed...

All you can do is call up. The test you have done checks if your Exchange has the ability to supply ADSL2. It does not (usually) tell you if there free ports and if the copper that runs from the Exchange to your home is up to / is configured to do so.

The story I got is that Telstra either cannot / will not re wire my house. If it's a will not then I would suggest trying Bigpond and taking it up the bot bot (for the sake of decent internet it might be worth it).

See how you go :)

Thats slow, best to give bigpond a call and they should be able to sort it out for you. I use to work at a ISP and do tech support, its probably just a wrong setting somewhere.

Also could be a few of the following:

-Wireless router? is it secured? someone could be using it and capping you.

-Modem settings (ISP can check this remotely if its online)

-Maybe try bypassing router and hook in directly to your modem to test to see if the router is causing the slow speeds (first thing i'd do if i was having this issue)

-And finally try another computer to see if its PC related.

Edit: I doubt its packet loss, this is more associated with satellite internet instead but won't go into that.

Whats an acceptable download speed, im not a internet know-all unfortunately. Over the last month its slowed to nearly a standstill (as test below shows)

plan is ADSL 2 + BigPond ADSL Liberty* (25GB) 20000/1000 and paying good money for what i beleive is a snail pace internet service.

speed test results;

Mirror: Telstra Bigpond

Data: 3 MB

Test Time: 28.95 secs

Your line speed is 846 kbps (0.85 Mbps).

Your download speed is 106 KB/s (0.1 MB/s).

After getting told nothing was wrong....

it has now changed :P

Your line speed is 3.2 Mbps (3202 kbps).

Your download speed is 400 KB/s (0.39 MB/s).

happy again... :P

cheers for everyones help.

My brother rang TPG about ADSL2 at his place (around the corner from where mine is being built), they said it's available, but they can't guarantee speeds in that area...

Anyone in a similar situation to that, and actually got the service? Happy/Unhappy with it?

Surely it'd still be faster than normal ADSL, and given how cheap TPG plans are compared to Telstra etc...

This is all very interesting...

My netgear wirless modem router/hub played up last night and wouldnt connect to adsl 2+ and after much frustration i relented and got out the original Telstra supplied speedtouch 4200 and bypassed the modem and eventually it work .

But before switching over to it i rang bigpond and they tested the line and so forth and i told them that i havnt been happy for months as my line speed was about 8000 (this had droped from about 11000)...

They tech guy said that i was adsl1 and i said hang on no I am not (the line speeds sugest this though) so he connected me to the billing area and eventually i was told that my profile was reduced/changes back in June?? WTF i said so now they tell me this may take up to a week to change and wanted me to pay 99 dollars for the wireless gateway modem router. I told him that i have worked for the company (telstra) for over 25 years and I was definately not paying for someone elses fault and that they should send me this gateway.

So they are going to ...

Now i will go them for the decrease in speed for over 6 months and see what deal can be had maybe threaten them with the Ombudmans

Just goes to show that you have to keep tabs on these sorts of things guys.

Regards,

Dazza

Im in the industy. (Not BigPond).

Acceptable with all the ISP's is 1.5Mbps (150KB/sec) on dsl2+ & 8mb plans.

Written in the supply agreements etc...

Telstra Big Pond / Wholesale have been shaping the dslams for over a year to 3mb for quite a lot of customers, as demand has exceeded supply

or should I say their backhaul bandwidth.

Give their helpdesk a call quote them the number of your dsl line and ask if your on the 'congested dslams list'.

You wont be able to get anything done about it immediately if you are on the list, unfortunately you will have to wait like

thousands of other customers around Australia.

I got an update from them not to long ago, they have been working on upgrades for a bit now and probably wont finish untill

mid-late 2011.

If your not on the list, get them to try rebuilding the port, aply a profile if needed.

If that does not help, do the obvious checks before asking for them to get a tech out to check the line, otherwise they charge if your fault, if their fault it's free.

Obvious checks: modem firmware up to date, short telephone cables, make sure you have dsl2+ filter (common oversight if upgraded from adsl1),

dont have more than 4 phone devices connected with inline filters (phone, fax, ans machine, alarm, eftpos etc...).

Have a read of your modem manual to find out where to check Line stats

For adsl1 and adsl2+.

SNR 10 - 56db range on the up/down reading.

ATT 0 -56db range on the up/down reading.

Preferable to have snr around 10db for dsl2+ and 15db for dsl1 for fastest speed without drops.

ATT, the lower the better.

Line bitrate can also be checked in your modem.

If your downstream bitrate is showing ie. 12000kbps and your only getting 3000kbps (3mb), then you know the dslam is rate limited on the backhaul.

If your downstream bitrate shows 3000kbps, then you know the dslam port is limited.

See pic, should be able to find this somewhere in your modem.

my stats not the best at the moment although still get 13.15Mbps it used to get 15Mbps, yours is rather low at 3.2Mbps.

post-38314-0-03894600-1293680706_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stagea_Neo

had huge speed issues with bigpond adsl2 - got it switched to bigpond cable and can honestly say id never stuff around with adsl ever again - download torrents at close to 4meg a second when maxed out - it has never dropped out either..

getting much more for my dollar

Edited by bluejeans

I used to have Bigpond cable, I was the first person on my local segment so I had the full bandwidth available. The only trouble was that back when I got it (mid 90's) there was no way near the content available on the internet as there is now. Probably lucky as iirc, I had what would be considered today a quite small download limit of around 1Gb.

Moved to hillside area 5 months or so ago and haven't been able to get adsl.there hasn't been a port available at the exchange the whole time. Anyone know what i can do? Tried telstra wireless and it failed hard. I was told by a mate i can get a business port opened. True or false?

if you pay enough sure, you can get 10 Gigabit if you like =)

just dont expect $50 for unlimited on a business plan

does anyone remember the original bigpond cable, 100mb per month quota (no joke) and all local content was free?

650mb ISO images via the news and email servers...

hahaha ohhh i remember those days, had to go to my uncle's to use cable, and he was paying $350 a month!!!!

was so incredibly effing awesome compared to my 56k, but IIRC, most sites and file sharing programs just did not have the upload speeds to saturate such a connection!

I have had quite a few people here all on the same exchange complain of slowness lately, my hunch says that they may have done something like that here :S

btw a 10gig fibre connection would be so insanely expensive it's ludicrous!