SAU Community

Rb25Det Neo Awd/rwd Differences

Tyral

Hey guys I've been in the market for a replacement engine for my R33 and the Neo looks like a good option over the S2 but the additional cost is the only thing prohibiting me jumping on it.

I'm not sure if it's the same in Australia but here in New Zealand RB25DET Neo AWD's it seems are sometimes cheaper than both their S1/2/Neo RWD counterparts.

Now this choice for a Neo is obviously for the easy HP gains it boasts over the S1 & 2, so what I'm really curious about is there any difference between the AWD & RWD motors?

Searching has shown that the RWD sump will bolt on fine to the AWD block but are there any hidden differences I'm not aware of like loom, internals etc?

Because I have a spare RB25DET S2 engine (seized) in addition to the one I am removing, lying on my garage floor which I could use for the sump (or any extra parts if need be).

Thanks in advance for your help. Feel free to ask any questions!

Edited by Tyral

Different bolt pattern for the sump

so no the rwd sump wont just bolt on

I read that the AWD block has both bolt patterns unlike the RWD which only has 1? Here's an example of a thread I found here.

AFAIK the AWD blocks have provision for RWD sumps too.

The only major difference off the top of my head between RWD and AWD Neos is that the AWD Stagea doesn't have traction control and most are auto's. This means the pinouts on the ECU are different and a 34GTT ECU won't work. Not a drama as the Neo Stag ecu's can be NIStuned.

mate has a 32 with a 2wd neo in it

the car does runs fine with a stagea ecu or a gtt ecu in it . gtt ecu throws error 44 and 46 . 44 being the cable between abs comp and ecu is faulty ( does not throw engine light ) 46 being traction controll motor voltage being to low . (does turn engine light on)

stagea ecu runs sweet as