SAU Community

What Have You Done To Your Stagea Lately?

Hanso

In the process of modification of the steering wheel into a flat bottom and top unit that retains the airbag. 

Cut off the old foam in sections where changes are made, strengthened the construction and tig welded new sections in place, then carefully removed foam from a different model wheel to replace and reshape once urethane adhesive has cured

DSC_0799.JPG

DSC_0807.JPG

DSC_0792.JPG

DSC_0810.JPG

• Like 3

Further progress on steering wheel mods. 

Sanded to shape today, came up pretty good, well I think so anyway ha ha ha. 

Now comes the expensive bit, first estimate for re-cover in leather was $400-500, so several quotes to come before finishing off. 

Here's some dodgy pictures that give indication of size changes 

DSC_0812.JPG

DSC_0817.JPG

DSC_0818.JPG

DSC_0820.JPG

DSC_0816.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 5:04 PM, KiwiRS4T said:

Steering wheel is complete and fitted now, came up awesome with the new leather covering, line of sight to Guage cluster is nice unless you're a really short bugger, then it cuts off the top of speedo and tacho a touch. 

Otherwise I'm wrapt in the results, feels nice in the hands, and gives ample leg clearance with the new recaro chairs now too. 

DSC_0850.JPG

DSC_0855.JPG

• Like 1

I changed the spark plugs and while I was at it decided the coil wiring was 30years old and brittle so why not go with some Yaris coils. I’ll see how they go with all the other mods if not I’ll change them to R35 ones later IMG_6754.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RBW49N said:

I changed the spark plugs and while I was at it decided the coil wiring was 30years old and brittle so why not go with some Yaris coils. I’ll see how they go with all the other mods if not I’ll change them to R35 ones later IMG_6754.jpg

what loom changes etc were needed to be made? is there a tutorial on this somewhere perhaps? and what are the advantages please?

There’s a tutorial or here somewhere but I was a bit lazy and bought a kit from Golebys all I did was remove the original plug strip back the wiring and wired it into the factory plug so I didn’t have to cut the factory vehicle harness just the coil sub harness

The coils give a better spark and are a cheaper alternative to genuine style ones I’m looking to up the power a bit to around 400rwkw in the near future so with the harness and plugs needing replacement anyway I just fitted them now

• Thanks 1

Guys, just make sure whatever coils you settle on that they're genuine. There's been quite a few reports that the yaris coils supplied by golebys aren't genuine Toyota. Im sure its been talked about on Sau before.

The kit came with everything needed I just needed to put the supplied pins on my harness I can’t remember exactly what I paid for the kit as I got injectors intercooler clamps plenum fuel rail fpr wastegates eboost as well

• 2 weeks later...

Installed a new head-unit with a rear aux since I was sick of the Raspberry Pi plugging into the front on the old one.

Also found that you can install RetroPie on OSMC so gave it a go! Great for dealing with Brisbane traffic :P

20181024_125003.thumb.jpg.16d499738c83e02683a760320537bd83.jpg

20181025_194048.thumb.jpg.891bae912cde9a87a1f8ac01ae0a1900.jpg

• Like 3

decided to go with the 5-0 ignite Audi R8 coil conversion setup, ordered today so am hoping will be delivered by the weekend so can sneak them in on nightshift over the weekend if workshop isn't busy, only replacing splitfires as brains trust consensus is that the  engine has a suspected dodgy one firing intermittently at idle and mid range where car spends most of its rev-time, so because I subscribe to the old rule of if you are taking the time and coin to do one, you may as well do all of them, instead of having to go back and do it again later anyway, and after researching options and bang for buck etc, the Audi coil conversion was the middle ground costwise with the best plug-and-play setup coming in at a total of $710 delivered for all the bits, including 6x bosch coilpacks, mounting plate, brackets and wiring harness.

while I am at it I'll do a plug heat range change and re-gap to suit.

be interested if anyone else on here has done this conversion and the results, ease of changeover etc?