SAU Community

Imported Skyline Odometer Readings

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum but would like to try and get some answers please. I've been looking around at several dealers to buy a 2008 Skyline 370GT or later and whilst the pricing varies (give or take $5K) all the vehicles I've looked at generally have mileage under 10K. Now call me old fashioned, but this makes me very suspicious that the odometer has been wound back either in Japan or here, particularly since they are all 2007 or 2008 models. Is there any other logical reason as to why the mileage is so low or is my suspicion correct? Any help would be appreciated, as I don't want to end up with a car that has had 50-100K wound off the odometer.

I'd be requesting from the seller, the auction sheet, deregistration form for the car and also the service manual for the vehicle, K's marked on these should be consistant with the odometer reading. If the seller can't come up with one or more of these be very careful going ahead, personally I would walk away given the prices dealers are asking for these.

Less than 10000ks the car should look virtually new. No wear on pedal rubbers, switchgear and the like. Have a look around the driver's door jamb for signs of dealer service stickers (or remnants of) that may have been removed to conceal the true ks.

Thank you, your advice is much appreciated - knowing little about these types of imports what you have given me will be very useful. Thanks Again.

I'd be requesting from the seller, the auction sheet, deregistration form for the car and also the service manual for the vehicle, K's marked on these should be consistant with the odometer reading. If the seller can't come up with one or more of these be very careful going ahead, personally I would walk away given the prices dealers are asking for these.

Less than 10000ks the car should look virtually new. No wear on pedal rubbers, switchgear and the like. Have a look around the driver's door jamb for signs of dealer service stickers (or remnants of) that may have been removed to conceal the true ks.

If the car is still fairly fresh to aus, google the VIN, it generally comes up with the original auction site from japan which can lead to some interesting results

Thank you, that's really great info, never even thought of that, much appreciated.

If the car is still fairly fresh to aus, google the VIN, it generally comes up with the original auction site from japan which can lead to some interesting results

Admittedly I was pretty skeptical myself when I was purchasing. I even came across a 2007 V36 with only 900km. According to my agent, extremely low km cars come up a lot and is normal.

In the end I purchased a 2007 with ~6000km. Was told by the agent that the condition was consistent with kms. When I got the car, they weren't kidding. Interior was basically brand new, even with the smell. Service manuals also looked legit and were consistent. Paintwork was a bit worn, not bad, but not great. I put that down it being a black car, and most likely the car spent most it's time outside. Nothing a weekend with meguiars couldn't fix.

Even the compliance workshop commented on how new it looked. Actually made it easy for them to comply and get it through quickly.

It probably pays to use a reputable agent for that assurance. I used prestige motorsport and they were first class. Highly recommended.

Edited by SyKRyD

Thank you for your comment and advice, it's also appreciated.

Admittedly I was pretty skeptical myself when I was purchasing. I even came across a 2007 V36 with only 900km. According to my agent, extremely low km cars come up a lot and is normal.

In the end I purchased a 2007 with ~6000km. Was told by the agent that the condition was consistent with kms. When I got the car, they weren't kidding. Interior was basically brand new, even with the smell. Service manuals also looked legit and were consistent. Paintwork was a bit worn, not bad, but not great. I put that down it being a black car, and most likely the car spent most it's time outside. Nothing a weekend with meguiars couldn't fix.

Even the compliance workshop commented on how new it looked. Actually made it easy for them to comply and get it through quickly.

It probably pays to use a reputable agent for that assurance. I used prestige motorsport and they were first class. Highly recommended.

I used Prestige Motorsport too, Geoff is great.

My DEC 2007 V36 had 10,600kms on it, as per the auction sheet and the service manuals. Mind you I paid a bit more at auction for such a low KM car, the value IMO is to be had with the ones with 'high' KMs. One similar spec/colour sold with 50,000kms for considerably (i.e. $15k) less. If it's well looked after that's somewhat irrelevant.

I wouldn't touch a local one if they didn't have books or auction papers, cars that new should almost always have them.

• 2 years later...

Looks like you've already got all the information you need, it's not uncommon for these cars to have very low km's coming from Japan where they don't do alot of driving especially if the car lived in the city.

Most important thing i think would be just determining how clean the interior is for it's age & km's check common wear parts of the car such as tears in the leather, possibly a bit of wear on the gear knob, steering wheel then overall condition.

goodluck

also you should have the auction sheet and the inspections sheet. My car had two inspections and the KM's lined up over all of that time. Mines done 80,000 over 10 years now which is pretty high, but it was from a more regional area of Japan

Umm. I think you are replying to Haxorz's post made 2 years ago..

manc01 just jumped in to ask how easy it is to adjust the odo..

Not sure exactly, but I believe most tuners would have access to the tools required to adjust the odo to whatever they want. Like with all imports, you should check other items for wear, this will help identify a false Odo reading..

How is the odometer actually wound back? If it is as common as everyone seems to think then it must be pretty simple??

Electronically.

One of the guys came across an item in yahoo Japan auction the other day that was a service to wind back the clock. If the condition of the car doesn't match whats in front of you, then its been wound.

There are other things like De-Reg certs that capture the kms based on the last 3 years (I think), and of course the auction sheets for the car.

But really, what does it matter - buy off condition rather than the number on the dash. We all know most of the dealers wind it back. Its no big surprise.

brakes are a good thing to check too.. if it shows 10,000km on the odo, but has 'lipped' brake rotors.. you will know something is wrong..

not really, I heard v35's chew through rotors like no tomorrow.....it's not uncommon to see lipped rotors on only 20000-30000kms if it was driven hard...