SAU Community

Oran Park Motorama Drifting 22/02

Laurence

It sure did happen, and while there were tons of cameras there - HPI, Serious Performance, plus about 5 professional snappers wandering around - pics and video still haven't popped up anywhere yet, AFAIK.

Check out www.initialdrift.com.au every now and then, that'll be the most obvious place to look.

Basically the day was absolutely awesome, the standard of drifting was very high, there was a huge enthusiastic crowd of about 250 and the whole event was well deservedly won by Mick from QLD in a URAS-kitted green 180SX. Second place was Adam from Full Lock in Victoria in a red R32, and third was Mick (NSW) in a new Monaro.

The field was of 17 cars only by invitation, and the drift judging was by Ben Ellis and Luke from Full Lock in Victoria. Most of the field were S13, with also 2 R32s, 2 R33s, one AE86, 2 new Munros and one MX5.

The competitive section of the day was run D1-style, with nose to tail tandem drifting, and with only a section of the track closed off for judging, with the competitors progressing knockout style to a Final Four. There was very close drifting, but no bent panels. Highlight of the day was the Final, when the 180SX literally went up the inside and passed the R32, while both were completely sideways, pouring smoke off the rears, to a HUGE roar of the crowd.

The Top 3 won some very nice prizes from Roman Autotek (Momo steering wheel plus other tasty bits and pieces), and there should be some media coverage of the event in the usual mags in the next few months.

The day was the first ever CAMS-sanctioned comp, and CAMS and Oran Park had representatives present to check it out. I think both parties gave a very enthusiatic tick of approval, so it'll be very interesting to see what happens in the near future...all in all, the feedback seems to be that it was a great success for all involved. You shoulda been there :D

It really was such a great day. There were a lot of "older" ppl there who were just traditional motorsport fans, and they had nothing but great things to say about what a good spectator sport it was. I really did not think that 50 year old guys would get it, but there you go :)

Myself, I had a good long chat with the CAMS guy that went kinda like this:

CAMS: "So basically this guy has to get his cargo of tofu across the valley without scrambling it?

Moi: "That's right...his Dad gives him this cup of water, that goes in the cupholder and he's not alllowed to spill a drop. But he goes really sideways anyway."

CAMS: "And this...cartoon...is why everyone's here?"

Moi: "As strange as it sounds....yes."

:D :D

Well, ok maybe I exaggerated a leetle bit :D

But we did talk briefly about Initial D (can't not talk about it, since Initial Drift Australia was a big presence on the day), and the big gulf between the younger crowd and the traditional motorsport fraternity. For example, the CAMS guy was really surprised that 90% of everyone there was because of word of mouth over the internet...and a cartoon of course :)