SAU Community

Polishing black GTR piping

Jimbo2000

yo all.

is it ok to take off the black interccoler piping from a gtr and polish it up so its shiny silver,was it black for a reason or just a bit of stealth, ie does the black paint keep the temp more constant or something?

i want to take it off and polish it along with the black intercooler itself, theres a tiny section that the paint has come off and it looks really nice and smooth. whats the best way, sandpaper?,paint thinner?

see attached pic, ignore the red circle

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/at...achmentid=11457

no fmic's are alloy so thats cool... but if the piping is mild steel it will rust due to the fact the surface is really clean and the oxygen can get to the metal easily and start the reaction known as rust... like i said paint them silver will look nice trust me... you could polish them then get them anodised clear but whats the poin at the price you could have new ones made from stainless!!

That pics not of a GTR? and its not GTR pipping...it is steel, I bet when you take it off its hella heavy. Not all the pipping in a GTR is plastic (you mean rubber) there are some straight metal sections.

unless mine is different and I dont know it...

Stirlo: Correct it is not a gtr, i just figured it came off a gtr as it is black and the gtr cooler i have on it (gtst) is black as well, just guessed they were one and the same.

it is definately not plastic impul... and stirlo, yeah it does feel quite heavy to the touch although its connected so cant really tell, but if it is steel is it then safe to polish back?

appreciate the replies