SAU Community

This months SPEED Mag...

T0nyGTSt

Bumper issue for Skyline and Nissan fans.

On the cover is TWO r33 GT-R's... an LM and a modded V-Spec.

A widebody 200sx.

A 350z vs. 240z retrospective.

A writeup on cams although I find their 'street ratings' a bit odd.

A Gran Turismo 4 preview.

It seems that HPI and Speed are the two mags that cater for us :)

T.

Thought the 240z vs 350z was a bit lame. I mean they're so far apart its not funny.. . Made me realise the 240z was cool though :)

Cams covered some basics which helped my mind a little understand things better.

But there are GTR in their every month! ok, maybe i'm just becoming a little sick of the same stuff in there.

Gran Turismo 4 preview didn't cover any new ground, bit disappointing seeing as that is one of the reasons i got the mag.

anyhow, mag is now read, away and "meh" was attached to it. Might not bother with next month unless something truly grabs me.

Haven't been lookng toooo hard for it but when i do, no one seems to have it in stock????

I bought Import driver (? i think that's what it's called) the other day, when you get an extra copy of another issue for free, for something to read while at a B&B. But when i left, i left the bloody things behind! Doh !

Well hopefully they are still sitting on the coffee table with the other knitting and cooking mags....tehe :rofl:

I am a big fan of speed magazine. As mentioned before is seems to be better written and has the Ugrade option for a different engine every issue, of course my favourite one is the RB25DET!

HPI is good but unless you have a s*#tload of money that most can not afford. Speed on the other hand has cars that are worked, but not off there tits. They also are generally very clean!

But yeah i live speed!

Interesting that as a 1997 car it had no passenger airbag and the old style steering wheel. SPEED has lofty goals for itself, perhaps hoping to become Australia's EVO... But articles on UK Spec LanEvos and riced up GT-Rs won't really get them there.

Also they are in charge of letters section, they can easily stop the idiotic V8 vs turbo vs whatever thing. The argument on here about NOS was much more interesting. The real problem in a small country like Australia is getting enough content, given the Autosalon association I can see the magazine deteriorating into either "UK/US/Japan reprint special" or "Autosalon Magazine - Better edition"

They have some good content every now and then,

But the only mag i really buy is HPI, they focus more on the potential and power of GTRs/Supras etc. And any skylines fan isnt dissapointed because there is always atleast one skyline in every HPI issue. I loved their GTR and SUPRA specials too.

Ill admit some of them are worked to the max and out of our reach, but it shows what can be done and how its done.

HOT4s is absolutely shit, i probably wouldnt even buy it if by one off chance there was a car thats not a lancer or civic on the front.

ewww

that white 33 gtr looks riced...

what was the owner thinking with the yellow racing stripes and the yellow grill accents..?

Was that a Shelby GTR or something, the interior was bit much, too ricey :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :headspin: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

The magazine is ok, but i find the photography awesome.

Yeah, Cristian Brunelli is an awesome photographer; he did/does work for Wheels as well. I didn't mind the article on 15 year-old importation, and the track build-up for the S15 was pretty decent as well. One thing I love though, is when they take a car for a drive; like the RX8 they took out into the country.

And I agree with you guys about the R33 GT-R; that leather looked average, but the paint in the engine bay and the stripes looked crap.

I am a big fan of speed magazine. As mentioned before is seems to be better written and has the Ugrade option for a different engine every issue, of course my favourite one is the RB25DET!  

HPI is good but unless you have a s*#tload of money that most can not afford. Speed on the other hand has cars that are worked, but not off there tits. They also are generally very clean!

But yeah i live speed!

that is exactly the reason why i love to read HPI!

why would i want to read about and look at a mildly modded car that i might see 5 similar cars in person per day.

when i read a mag i wanna see fark off skylines and supras and rx7s and anything else that looks cool and/or pumps out 10,000,000 rwkw and does 1sec quarter miles all while being daily driven without filters by some little 40kg jap dude.

i wanna read about stuff that i cant see everyday. stuff that im gonna look at and think "holly fark!!!".

peace out

ps. the above also happens when i occansionally see local mags do stories on the 1500rwhp commos and falcons!

Those two GT-R's are weird.

The white one is a bit 'hows your father' in execution but it's not my car.

The blue LM seems odd in that it was stolen, rebuild and it looks like it was modded a bit.

Why would you even mod a LM? That kind of car should be left dead stock and perhaps only bolt on accessories added. To mod it like that is ruining the significance of the car.

T.

Even though it's rice, i don't mind a car with 450kW, even if it does have an HK GTS 327 Monaro-wannabe racing stripe... Everybody needs some carbohydrates in their diet once...

Although there's always a WRX/200SX/Skyline in the mag, it's got pretty good wide-ranging coverage of different types of cars. It can't be everything to everyone but at least it's improving the layout and photography standards of traditional mags.