SAU Community

Diagoins Of A Fauly Coil Pack

Guest trikdoutbuketofshit

Guest trikdoutvl

Ok so motorvation is 2 days away and my car decides to sound like a wrx again. exact same thing that happened last year. It was a coil pack. So my question is how do you diagions a fkd a coil pack???? The best way I can describe it is the motor sounds like a wrx and it has fk all power.

Ok so motorvation is 2 days away and my car decides to sound like a wrx again. exact same thing that happened last year. It was a coil pack. So my question is how do you diagions a fkd a coil pack???? The best way I can describe it is the motor sounds like a wrx and it has fk all power.

sounds like a wrx and no power... you sure you did not get in a wrx :P

you can visually inspect by running your finger nail around it and see if there is any hair line fracture...

you can do the old turn the car over with the coil pack out and see if any spark excapes...

also think you can check the resistance and make sure all are even...

only other way is to start the car with one off at a time and see which one made no difference (ie you will be running on 5 cylinders with one buggered and as you remove working ones you should go to 4 running cylinders)..

resistance and visual damage does not always mean much , i have seen many that look in perfect condition , measure fine and still die under load

also they often spark at idle but break down under full load

best way to tell is to get a good coil and swap them out one by one and test under load

did you replace all the coil packs with something decent like splitfires last time or did you just replace the 1 with a stock one ?

if so get some splitfires and never worry about it again

if the problem is present on idle just unplug the coilpacks 1 by 1, whichever is the one that doesnt make a difference to how it runs is obviously the dud one.

swap that over to another cylinder and see if the problem has carried over to that cylinder. if it does then that means the coilpack is screwed.

if the problem is still in that cylinder, that means your problem is elsewhere

• Like 1

Should be careful when checking coilpacks. the way Snozzle mentioned, may blow the coilpack driver (the box that sits at the end of the head).

If you can get to the injectors, diconnect them one at a time to see which cylinder it is. Much safer option unless you know how to check the coilpacks properly.

I would recommend splitfires, never failed on me once with 1.1 gapping and lots of boost.

Guest trikdoutvl

Turns out I was completely wrong. Car must have had a bad batch of fuel or something in it.. Filled up with bp 98 and the problem went away. Strange!

also don't jump to the coilpacks answer whenever you have a missfiring problem... there are many other possible causes as anything to do with fuel / timing / spark can cause symptoms similar to coilpacks..

personally i've had 3 different occasions when my car was missing... each time the problem was not the coilpacks, despite everyone on the forums suggesting they were.

(mine turned out to be the CAS, then the AFM and then a sticky valve... each were 6 months to a year apart)

Guest trikdoutvl

Nar bud, diddnt wash the engine recently, 99% sure my fuel pump is dying because the problem only comes when the car is low on petrol.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 years later...

I started my car last night to visually check my coil packs due to a surging issue, im glade i did, even at idle i could see the spark jumping out onto the motor, so she is gunna sit until I get my new ones, my general rule of thumb is if 1 is on the way out replace the lot, for example if a shockie needs replacement i do all 4 at once