SAU Community

gilmer drive set for GTR

i was told by a friend that he has someone who makes gilmer drive set for gtr, he told me he saw one that had the set and sounded absalutly crazy while it was driving past.

down low befor it spools up sounds like a supercharger whinding up, and then the turbo kicks in and you can hear the spooling of the turbo, i was wondering if anyone was interested im buying a set, as i wanna take my car down and see if i can get one made for myself,.

and also if anyone has a set on their car, can you tell me if it makes any differnce, or how does it sound on your car and do you or do you not recomend it. :wassup:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Judd said, Gilmer drives are machined pulleys that are toothed (think RB cam gears) to run a toothed belt (think cam belt), instead of a V belt. They are usually used in high revving applications or applications that run external oil pumps, superchargers and mechanical injection. A side effect is the high pitch whine, which is very annoying.

the belt thats on glimmor drives is about 3-4 inches wide, you see the glimmer come up on the supercharged cars with the charger out the bonnet. (big fat belt on a big arsed pulley with big teeth)

the belts are primarily designed for peventing belt slip on supercharged motors. They drain a fair bit of power.

If you have slip on the standard single belt then go twin belt pulleys (lose some more power). If they slip then look at a gilmer (lose even more power again).

If you like the mean sounding grinding noise then make up a little idler pulley to bolt on the motor somewhere that turns a set of straight cut gears (for no reason other than to make noise as you rev the engine). *$#%'n rice boys! :(

the belts are primarily designed for peventing belt slip on supercharged motors. They drain  a fair bit of power.

If you have slip on the standard single belt then go twin belt pulleys (lose some more power). If they slip then look at a gilmer (lose even more power again).

If you like the mean sounding grinding noise then make up a little idler pulley to bolt on the motor somewhere that turns a set of straight cut gears (for no reason other than to make noise as you rev the engine). *$#%'n rice boys! :(

apparently they dont drain a lot of power, from the turbo engines, only on the supercharged engines cause they use the crank of the block to produce boost, but as was said for high reving engines they are very efficiant and will help prevent belt brakage due to strain on the standard v belt, and you dont want to snap a belt and bend a valve, $$$$$ to fix.

anyways i will have mine hopfully next week, and for those who think the whining noise is annoying, i hope you think that from expericance cause if you havnt heard one, you dont know what your missing out on, sounds very hektic when on show or pulling up next to cops,, hahahahahh stupido police would probably think something was wrong with your car and leave you the hell alone.

:flamed:

the belt thats on glimmor drives is about 3-4 inches wide, you see the glimmer come up on the supercharged cars with the charger out the bonnet. (big fat belt on a big arsed pulley with big teeth)

hey sumo, they dont have to be 3-4 inches wide, kits come anywhere between 1-5 inches, most applications are about 4 cm which is under 2in, its not the thickness of the belt that matters, its the straight cut teeth on the lightened alliminium pulleys that help the belt not slip at high revs

Mr. Wrecked Head, the belt used to connect the cam gears to the crankshaft is already a tooth gilmer-style one. If a police officer thought something was wrong with your car do you think they would leave you alone or bear closer scrutiny... like a roadside defect inspection?