SAU Community

R34 On Board Computer

marCus92

im planning on buying a non turbo skyline and doing it up putting a greddy turbo in it among other things and was wondering

Is it possible to purchase the gtr on boarrd computer seperately by any chance and roughly how much it will cost?

Lol when you said on board computer, I thought you meant the ECU lol.

If you meant a MFD (multi functional display), like this one:

165546_10150166583989409_568889408_8257640_5458213_n.jpg

Then I bought mine for $800 2nd hand, they range from $700-1000. And it took me 8 hours to wire it up, considering that I have NO experience with electronics, never installed a headunit before lol.

I think if you were to get someone to do it, it would cost like $200-300.

Lol when you said on board computer, I thought you meant the ECU lol.

If you meant a MFD (multi functional display), like this one:

165546_10150166583989409_568889408_8257640_5458213_n.jpg

Then I bought mine for $800 2nd hand, they range from $700-1000. And it took me 8 hours to wire it up, considering that I have NO experience with electronics, never installed a headunit before lol.

I think if you were to get someone to do it, it would cost like $200-300.

Yeah that. ive always loved the look of it and the fact it has everything. where about would i be looking to purchase something like that and how big a wiring job is it?

Yeah that. ive always loved the look of it and the fact it has everything. where about would i be looking to purchase something like that and how big a wiring job is it?

There's one on sale on SAU (for sale section) I believe. As for other places, maybe wreckers, private sales or from Japan.

As for "it has everything". To be honest with you, I think the MFD is overrate lol, if I have a choice now, I wouldn't have bought one, would rather spend that money elsewhere. But I guess the MFD would raise my resale price if I was to sell my car.

As for wiring. You will need to splice into your ECU harness, triple gauage harness, speedo cluster harness. There's probably about 10-12 wires you need to locate and splice into.

But I do see your project being a more difficult job. Because with stock GTT's, they come with the triple gauage cluster, which is hooked up to the boost, and oil temp. Which a NA GT wouldn't have (the triple gauage & harness). That would mean that you'd have to locate those things yourself and splice into it. Because if I remember right, the MFD splices into 3-4 wires in the triple gauage harness.

I honestly reckon you shouldn't do all that to a NA R34. If you are on your P's and restricted to a NA, then you should just keep the NA until you are off your P's, then sell it and buy a GTT. Because the price difference between the GT and GTT is barely anything. And that way, you wouldn't have to muck around with upgrading all the brakes and stuff. It will also be a cheaper way to go.

There's one on sale on SAU (for sale section) I believe. As for other places, maybe wreckers, private sales or from Japan.

As for "it has everything". To be honest with you, I think the MFD is overrate lol, if I have a choice now, I wouldn't have bought one, would rather spend that money elsewhere. But I guess the MFD would raise my resale price if I was to sell my car.

As for wiring. You will need to splice into your ECU harness, triple gauage harness, speedo cluster harness. There's probably about 10-12 wires you need to locate and splice into.

But I do see your project being a more difficult job. Because with stock GTT's, they come with the triple gauage cluster, which is hooked up to the boost, and oil temp. Which a NA GT wouldn't have (the triple gauage & harness). That would mean that you'd have to locate those things yourself and splice into it. Because if I remember right, the MFD splices into 3-4 wires in the triple gauage harness.

I honestly reckon you shouldn't do all that to a NA R34. If you are on your P's and restricted to a NA, then you should just keep the NA until you are off your P's, then sell it and buy a GTT. Because the price difference between the GT and GTT is barely anything. And that way, you wouldn't have to muck around with upgrading all the brakes and stuff. It will also be a cheaper way to go.

Yeah your probs right be much easier to just wait till im off my p's. plus if i dont spend the money on the MFD it means i can put more towards sound and shit. thanks for the help mate.

Also it seems you think that you can just get an N/A car and put a turbo in. You cant just place a turbo on a non turbo engine in case you didn't know, you need to upgrade everything under the bonnet, it would probably cost more than a gtt itself.

Also it seems you think that you can just get an N/A car and put a turbo in. You cant just place a turbo on a non turbo engine in case you didn't know, you need to upgrade everything under the bonnet, it would probably cost more than a gtt itself.

yeah i know but wasnt sure that a gtt was roughly same price until mentioned above, and figured i was doing it the cheaper way till i researched it

Just make sure you do enough research before buying a skyline, since you don't know too much about it. Regarding insurance and what's legal and what's not etc etc :P

yeah im pretty much set with research i got two friends that are heavy skyline fans and both own r34's. im thinking cause i love the 4 doors il keep my first one stock and once off p's keep it and get a gtt. or can you buy gt-t skylines in 4 door?

Yes... GTT does come in 4 door... Pretty commom too. But manual ones are harder to find.

really? like hard hard to find? also how much do you reckon i would i be looking at spending for a 2000 Gt-t 4 door in manual with low k's