SAU Community

just a quick one on exhaust

i'm getting a new exhaust and muffler and just wanted to know what ppl think is the best thing to get

i'm looking at getting a Manaflow race series muffler:

2.25" Inlet, 4" Diam. Tip

2.5" Internal Race Core

Single Wall, Staight Cut

4" Tip Length

14" Muffler Body Length

this any good for a N/A rb25?

and what is best for the exhaust, 2.5 inch or 2 an 1/4inch?? from extractors back

with a cat but no resonator, or should i resonator?

thanks every one!

resonator is a definite, i agree. Forgot to ask what the guy who replaced mine was going to use - so i ended up with a lukey race hot dog thingy :( .... murder at 110kmh (open road limit here in WA) 3" pipe probly doesn't help... SEVERE overkill on 2L N/A....:looney:

let us know how the change gos... might do the same thing :thumbdwn:

I got a 2.5" hks system with 2 resonators (hotdog resonator and a 2nd small muffler). It works well - not droney AT ALL. The end main muffler is a big barrel style muffler with 2.5" inlet and has a 4.5" tip - it is not straight through in design. I suggest you copy the design of this system (resonators etc) :D

what brand of rear muffler do you gouys use/recomend? i have some Jaz - Jazma ? -can't rember exactly, something like that - i guess it's some cheap Jap brand, but it is straight through, like the resonator, on the extractors with a full 3" cat also...

just one major question, how would you fit an offset muffler in where ther is currently a straight through?

ie how does this;

| |

| |

goto this;

| |

__| |

??? given the way the pipe runs from the engine (tangled round diffs etc.) then fits into that little scallop out of the rear bar?

Jasma is just a regulatory body, like the EPA is Australia. It's not the brand of the muffler, but if the muffler is jasma approved it means it meets certain noise/pollution requirements and therefore is of reasonable quality. For example, my HKS system has a jasma badge on it.

i'm also thinking about a CAT back system - my budget aint that big - but i want something thats going to sound better and increase performance slightly...

i got quoted 290 fitted for a 'home made job', as the muffler place reckons you can't get one to just bolt on? That was for a 2.5" cat back (might only have been the rear muffler)

What kind of system do you guys recomend for 300-350 ish mark?

anything has to be better than stocko one!

PS: Sorry for the post hijack :D

i guess i owe jez an apology too... sorry mate.... :Oops:

and thanks for the info greg... ill have to do some more looking and see if i can find out what it is !

can some of you guys tell me a few price u payed for your systems?

sorry dude, mine was already there... resonator cost me $120, extractors ~$350 i think ? can't remember exactly... the rest - gawd knows !

i have recently taken off my cat back exhaust as i was driving a bit of a road trip. I noticed quite a bit of power loss all through the range.

and Perhaps a week ago, i put it back on, and damn there is power again, noticable low and high in my rev range, but definately more at top end.

Mine is 2 3/4", and its drony in certain RPMs (mainly at 110 on motorway), most of the time, its sexy. Get a big resonator, big as possible imo.

• 4 months later...

You've probably already got it by now but go a 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent system. I've got a magna flow muffler, #14827, its a single wall angle cut 4 inch tip, but oval shape. I was told they had a slightly better tone and not as droney... not sure if its entirely true. They also fit more neatly under the car, however i was after the cannon style and they do look a bit better. I highly recommend magnaflow though, just ensure you put a decent resonator on as mine hardly does anything and it's fairly loud!

I think I'm going to finally get rid of the Genie Reverse Flow muffler off my car, its just tooo loud! Currently I have 2.5" Cat Back, with a resonator.

Anyone who has done their exhaust cat-back, what muffler and how much was it? An angled canon style would b good, but not really necessary.

I think I'm going to finally get rid of the Genie Reverse Flow muffler off my car, its just tooo loud! Currently I have 2.5" Cat Back, with a resonator.  

Anyone who has done their exhaust cat-back, what muffler and how much was it? An angled canon style would b good, but not really necessary.

I've used a MagnaFlow Street Serious muffler, the exhaust shop were retailing it for 374 but it may be cheaper elsewhere. Yeah the angled cannon style does look good. This one is an oval shape but exhaust shops do the angled bend if you just get a cannon style

Anyone recommend an exhaust shop in the Melbourne city area that fits magnaflow mufflers and will do it for a good price?

When I got the current exhaust/muffler fitted I asked them to put a flange so it can be unbolted, and its 2" up to just before it bends.

thanks!

chicane

Yeah quite a few places sell MagnaFlows as they're fairly reputable and well known. Depends where in Melbourne you are, i got mine done at Casey Exhaust which is in Berwick, they do a lot of work on high performance cars and have done heaps of skylines. The other place i know of that sell them is Dandy Exhausts but your best to just ring around as i'm sure many other places would stock them

I work in Parkville so yeah anywhere close to the city

What other options are there apart from magnaflow (seems a popular brand) for a muffler in the cannon style that will not be too loud, im sick of the drone of my current muffler.. but not too quiet as well (but under limit).

Cheers :)