SAU Community

I'm buying a Skyline... What should I look for?

Merli

Wish I read this thread a month ago too, but anyway as long as it's not stolen and goes good I'm happy. Might wanna check the wear on the gear knob while checking the seat and steering wheel or bring some verniers to measure the disc thickness as that says a Lot too! Mine were worn 2mm under the recommended thickness :down:

So you've decided to take the plunge into the rewarding world of Skyline ownership. In this brave new world, you'll find breathtaking performance, camaraderie between owners, constantly growing list of expensive modifications...

Unfortunately the first step can often be a faltering step, with many car yards and shonky private sellers out there to sell you a lemon, and believe me, there are plenty of lemon Skylines out there. From accident damaged Skylines, to rebirthed, stolen, and/or submerged Skylines, there are many things to check before handing over your hard earned cash for your new car.

This is a list compiled from the input of several members, and if you have anything else to add, please feel free to do so!!

Awsome details and info :(

Going to check out an R33 GTR and perform all the visual inspections stated here.

I'd like to put it out there that if a seller refuses you the ability to take the car for inspection, I'd be weary. Ive looked at over 15 cars and the first thing I ask is "How long you had the car and if I like it can I take it to my mechanic to have it checked". None have EVER said no. One guy I asked was 1.5hrs from my mechanic and said as long as he drives, he will let it happen.

• 1 month later...
Get the car on a Dyno. You either get the car tuned befor you buy it or you walk away saving big money. I looked at mine for 4 hours on three seperate days. Finally got the thing it leaned out and killed the engine. Fuel pump / injector clean / after market blowoff valve fault. :microwave If only I got it on a dyno sooner

wow that really sucks.... but most private sales wont allow you 2 go 2 a dyno...

Hi i really need help........i just bought a r33 series 2 with 65000 kms.the interiorr looks awesome, except the steering wheel leather has been damaged slightly......the front bar has a little bubble in the front.....does that mena it has been resprayed or what.also...when driving at around 120 km/h the steering wheel shakes a lil bit

the shaking means u need a wheel alignment ect.. nuffin $100 wont fix.... and maybe kms have been trimmed back?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just to add to this thread.

r33's, open the fuse box (drivers side, next to your right knee), open that, have a quick peep around to see if there are wires chopped/loose/not connected.. at the same time, check if all the fuses are in there.. If the seller lets you, take some/all the fuses out to check if blown.. Nothing worse than a mess of wires... auto electricians aren't cheap :)

• 3 months later...

Incredibly sorry to bump a very old thread guys, but just need clarification on something, but cannot PM yet due to post count.

Yes, you can take the chassis number from the BLUE Nissan Build plate in the engine bay and ring a Nissan Spare Parts dealership. Give them the Chassis number and they should be able to look up the details of the car (Month/Year of Manufacture, Paint Code, Engine Number, etc etc) for you on their parts database. If you happen to call an unhelpful Spare Parts Department, don't give up... Just call another one. It's easy for them to look up, you just have to find a helpful Spare Parts Advisor.

WilliamsRacing, do what I said above to check your chassis number.

I just called Hornsby Nissan (which is Sales, Parts and Service) and was told that the Nissan database is only for Australian delivered Nissans only. Never the less, we put the VIN of the R34 GT I am looking at in, and it returned no result.

Blue Nissan plate looks and feels legit, and am have seen a previous REVS certificate from the current owner.

Which Nissan have people reading this thread called (if they have done this check)? Has the Nissan spare parts database changed changed to a per country basis in the last couple of years?

what do you want checked? i can do it right here at the moment seeing as i have the catolouges on my home computers.

I work as a spare parts interp at nissan on the central coast, deallers usually turn people down just because its difficult too look imports up and the dealer i work at turned people down until i started there. The catuaouges are in japanese and most parts have to be ordered over the phone from japan taking a few weeks so yeah they were just being lazy.

what number are you using?

You have to enter the VIN-code

what do you want checked? i can do it right here at the moment seeing as i have the catolouges on my home computers.

I work as a spare parts interp at nissan on the central coast, deallers usually turn people down just because its difficult too look imports up and the dealer i work at turned people down until i started there. The catuaouges are in japanese and most parts have to be ordered over the phone from japan taking a few weeks so yeah they were just being lazy.

PM'd (well actually emailed due to post count. Lol)

Any other differences other than the auto dash possibly having the shift indicators? I've looked up pictures on both manual and auto of a same model and can't quite see any other differences on the steering and dash.

might be worth mentioning something of my experience (old thread I know)

but I just bought an r34 gt-t, at the time i was pondering "why does it have an auto's steering wheel and dash..yet it's manual" some people were saying "maybe theyve mucked around with the dash!"

but it clicked to me, this car has had a auto > manual conversion... now i'm not honestly sure WHEN it was done and what gearbox though it was done in japan, but just look out for that when buying the car, compare pics of manuals and auto's and you'll see interior differences

not that i'm complaining! just my clutch is kinda going, but the gearbox i think is fine hehe

PM'd (well actually emailed due to post count. Lol)

i dont know if you got the PM is sent you as you have a post count of 2 but yeah the VIN i need is the japanese VIN and not the Australian VIN

The japanese vin is pop rivited onto the chassis on a steel plate or check the vehcile manufacture plate in the top left of the engine bay.

PMed as well. :)

PMed as well. :)

• 3 weeks later...
i dont know if you got the PM is sent you as you have a post count of 2 but yeah the VIN i need is the japanese VIN and not the Australian VIN

The japanese vin is pop rivited onto the chassis on a steel plate or check the vehcile manufacture plate in the top left of the engine bay.

The japanese an Aus vin is the same from what i have seen except for aus one has some numbers like 6u0009 or some crap before the regular jap vin

• 2 weeks later...
Hi i really need help........i just bought a r33 series 2 with 65000 kms.the interiorr looks awesome, except the steering wheel leather has been damaged slightly......the front bar has a little bubble in the front.....does that mena it has been resprayed or what.also...when driving at around 120 km/h the steering wheel shakes a lil bit

Yeah be wary of this. I only recently (3 days ago) purchased an R33 which had a wobbly steering wheel @ 100kph that I thought a balance and alignment would fix, as all other systems of the car were well taken care of.

Turns out the front pair of rims are buckled! Not happy Jan, considering that I bought the car as an overall package, and I really didn't want or need to do anything extra to it.

Now I'm facing either attempting to get the buckle fixed, which according to WheelsWorld is unfixable, or buy a complete set of rims.

So alongside the Buyer Beware disclaimer, you should also try and get it to a tyre centre that will check the balance and trueness of the rim. You don't want to buy a car with buckled rims!