SAU Community

Project Gr33Dd

Looking good Dave when you get the bonnet unwrapped let me know how the quality is for the $. I want to get one but will most likely get a cheapy so if i damage it i wont be so pissed off hehe.

Will do Ryan, I actually couldn't find a cf bonnet much cheaper and I do like the design of this one. The guys at Just Jap assured me it will be a good fit and said the only problem they have seen on the S2 version is one that was not wide enough by a couple of mm which I can live with. I will be painting it anyway so I'm not to worried about shininess

Thanks Dave thats a excellent read,,,I'm enjoying your build.

We need to move our fuel filters though hey,,,they are in such a pain of a spot.

I'm going to run the plazmaman manifold as well,,,sounds like I better order it now.

Cheers

Neil.

Thanks Neil, I'm trying to get it all done but it's taking sooo long. I wanna get things right this time round and work is hammering me, I've got to go away for around three weeks on Monday so it'll stop again. I'm trying to make wakie but I don't think it will happen.

Yeah the fuel filter is in a bitch of a spot, it would be the perfect place for the oil filter relocation. You've got me thinking now haha

The boys at Plazmaman are good fellas and looked after me (cash goes a long way wink wink) but make sure you specify your piping size mate as it completely slipped my mind and I got 3" instead of 2.5 for the small pipe off the throttle body and the next piece that goes into the guard so I'm thinking of just running 3" on the entire cold side but I'm worried I'll loose some throttle response which is the whole reason I went with a forward facin plenum in the first place.

Looking good dave :)

felt the ears burning, atleast was good this time haha i've got a set of 25 covers with -10 fittings welded on already if you dont want to leave your motor open for 3 weeks.

Neil - i'll be selling my plazmaman plenum in a couple of months if you arent in a rush

Ryan - you ever get my pm about the bonnet?

Very small update,

Spent most nights last week and Friday and tonight prepping the runners for more powdercoating (I think I have a coating addiction :wacko: )

I forgot how much of a bitch removing all the cast marks is! My fingers are sore and I can taste metal....hahahaha

A couple of pics

Before

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

After

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

Its not a perfect finish as I started to get the sh!ts with it but it will do, hopefully once Chris adds the primer and the coating it will come out ok. So its just the runners and the thermostat housing to be coated and thats it......I hope.

Im gonna have to tell Craved to cut me off or the car will never get finished :blush:

I have to take one of my intercoller pipes to him to have the silver removed as I had a brain fade and need to get a couple of 90 degree bends welded on so it mates up with the plazmaman, a real shame look how pretty it is.

IMG_0839.jpg

Im off for a work trip again :rant: so Ill update when I get back

dave is super keen lol

see you in the morning mate

dont forget to ask your questions too, there is some custom stuff needed to get her to work, so make sure you remember everything to ask haha

Hahahaha, super keen or super crazy??????

I seem to always get bogged down with the little things.

And don't worry Chris you should know by now I'll have plenty of questions.

Was gonna start the brakes tonight but I can't seem to find my lock nut key and special wheel nut key (it has a thinner wall than a normal socket) grrrrrrrrrrr. I put it somewhere when I swapped the interior and can't remember where, obviously it's in a really "safe" spot lol

• 1 month later...

Hahahahaaaaaa, nice bump.

I do have heaps of pics to post up but any spare time I've had I've been working on the car, haven't even looked at the computer for a few weeks.

Yeah been at it, just got the turbo in.......man the coolant return is a bitch, lost a bit of skin getting to that little bracket behind the head. I'm thinking of taking the turbo back off and putting a better gasket on it though. The one hks supplies is very thin and flimsy and I swear there is about a 1mm gap between the ex mani and the turbo.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

The plazmaman will go on tomorrow night and the radiator Sunday night. I've gotta order a heap of silicone joins in red now that I know what I need.

That's the plan anyway, never works out that way when you've got young kids lol

And Chris keep a bit more of the grey can ya, I'll bring the power steering reservoir bracket down when I drop off the brakes.

Ok, just a heap of pics at the moment as Im just about to go out into the garage and attack it for another night.

Coated runners

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

And installed

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

Dummy fitting of the plazmaman

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

I also bought this billet coil cover from Powerhouse Racing (Thanks Joe) in the states, it is vented and can be powdercoated so with the AUD at the moment I couldnt pass it up.

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

As I said above still heaps more pics in the camera and the turbo is on, but im gonna take it back off tonight and put a thicker gasket on as the one that comes with the kit is crap and dosent look like its sealing.

The cam and front covers are with Craved at the moment as well as the fuel rail as we have come up with a nice red combination that looks better than the metalcast and will be better wearing. When I pick them up (Next week?) ill give him the brake calipers to be done in the same colour.

More updates when I can

Thanks guys, I'd hate to see how long it would take me to do a full rebuild lol

Ive run out of bevvies in can form so I'm gonna have to get the mrs to mix me up a jug every couple of hours :)

I just had a thought, wonder how much all the powdercoating weighs???? Chris?????

The mrs said exactly the same thing yesterday ;)

Ive only got the brakes to do and that will be it for the powdercoating, I was going to do the alternator and a few other bits and pieces but I think enough is enough, I'm getting a bit bogged down with getting the engine "looking" right and it got to a point over the weekend where it has started to annoy me.

I miss driving the car and just want to get it running now so it's all going back together. I think the overall look will still look good but there Re other things thT are more important that need doing lime getting the new front bar cut to fit the FMIC and and then painting it and the bonnet.

Had a few dramas with the plazmaman over the weekend, I had no port for the pcv valve so I had to drill and tap a dummy port in so it looks connected. Then discovered yesterday the plumback port on the plazmaman BOV was too small (22mm instead of 32) and wouldn't mate up with the return pipe.

The after sales support from these guys is beyond belief, I called them yesterday and told them I need a bigger port and am missing a nipple for the pcv and a courier was on my doorstep at 6:30am this morning with the extra bits I needed at no charge. IMO that is gold customer service.

Hey Dave do you still want the old rotors? I'll try and get them off this week or on the weekend for you if your keen??

looking nice Dave..

but....

to take full advantage of the pretty new intake your going to have to do some wire tucking .

Dont want to spoil all craves good work with ugly wiring now do ya ;)

Yeh it is a really nice peice of work, shame I had to get it coated but it didn't match anything else.

And BTW I was only joking, I am NOT hiding all the wiring. At the speed in which I do things it would take me till Christmas.............next year lol